When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Daytona Madness

Virgil Hilts

Hey, all.

Just got the DW Daytona that Porsche356A sold me last week. Thought I'd post a few pics of the collection. The PN dial with the black minute markers is the new one. It's got a MM that's still keeping good time. Whew. The middle one is my baby, a VJ72, non-DW case with Timeman dial and a rally strap with gen buckle. The third one is a VJ23 project that still needs work. My watch repair guy here couldn't get the chrono pushers to line up with the movement. So either he's not that good (which I'm inclined to believe - he didn't even put the right subhands on the thing) or the guy who sold me the watch wasn't truthful about it being a DW case. Either way, it's going to find it's way up to Canada for some Zig love this summer, I hope.

If anyone has a spare 6239 dial they'd like to sell, please let me know (Tony, I'm looking at you, bro). I also need a stainless tach bezel (or two). I've got a gen Tropic to put in the 6239.

Also, isn't the black on white minute-marker dial a fantasy dial? I've never seen that on a gen. It's usually white minute-markers on a black background.

Anyway, enjoy the pics.

3Daytonas.jpg

3Daytonas1.jpg

BlackDaytona.jpg

6239Daytona.jpg

6265Daytona.jpg

Just got the DW Daytona that Porsche356A sold me last week. Thought I'd post a few pics of the collection. The PN dial with the black minute markers is the new one. It's got a MM that's still keeping good time.

Also, isn't the black on white minute-marker dial a fantasy dial? I've never seen that on a gen. It's usually white minute-markers on a black background.

BlackDaytona.jpg

Congratulations on the new addition to your vintage Daytona family.

Yes, it is a fantasy dial, but the number of members in the International Daytona Club who are actually aware of this (or would be able to recognize your watch for having a fantasy dial) can be counted in the hundreds, at best. So as long as you keep the watch away from TZ, I will not tell anyone if you do not.

Fantasy dials aside, it looks great to me.

Some of the DW cases are definitely machined poorly (and I am being kind). But if the movement fits properly into the case & the pushers do not line up, there may be something more serious going on in there. Are you sure you have a Valjoux movement & not a Landron, Lemania or something else that has a symmetrical pusher arrangement? That might explain the pusher alignment problem.

p.s. I just noticed that your minutes totalizer (subdial at 3) is not reset. Or did you take the pic with the chrono running?

Guest carlsbadrolex

I have a stainless bezel that you can have. Its been sitting in my drawer for nearly two years.

Send me a PM with address and I will get it off to you.

CBR

Freddy,

Thanks for the good wishes. Very happy with the watches. But that dial is gonna drive me nuts. I've got a regular 6263 DW dial I'll put in there until I can find an exotic I'm happy with. The minutes totalizer isn't resetting to 30 all the way - not a big shock with the MM's. I'll be sending this one to The Zigmeister, too, I suppose. I also have an extra, failed MM for parts...doesn't everyone? :p

Here's a picture of the donor VJ23 case. It was a vintage Croton Chronomaster which definitely had the VJ23. As you can see, it's asymmetrical. The movement is in the DW and I can't get the case back off right now. If it won't fit in this case, maybe it'll fit in the DW I just picked up. Either way, they're headed to The Great White North.

oldcase.jpg

Congratulations on the new addition to your vintage Daytona family.

Yes, it is a fantasy dial, but the number of members in the International Daytona Club who are actually aware of this (or would be able to recognize your watch for having a fantasy dial) can be counted in the hundreds, at best. So as long as you keep the watch away from TZ, I will not tell anyone if you do not.

Fantasy dials aside, it looks great to me.

Some of the DW cases are definitely machined poorly (and I am being kind). But if the movement fits properly into the case & the pushers do not line up, there may be something more serious going on in there. Are you sure you have a Valjoux movement & not a Landron, Lemania or something else that has a symmetrical pusher arrangement? That might explain the pusher alignment problem.

p.s. I just noticed that your minutes totalizer (subdial at 3) is not reset. Or did you take the pic with the chrono running?

Thanks CBR!

Man, I love this place.

I have a stainless bezel that you can have. Its been sitting in my drawer for nearly two years.

Send me a PM with address and I will get it off to you.

CBR

The minutes totalizer isn't resetting to 30 all the way - not a big shock with the MM's. I'll be sending this one to Ziggy, too, I suppose.

The hand may just have been installed in the wrong position. A simple r&r may put it right again. But it may also have the ubiquitous loose hand tube problem that afflicts many of these. Ziggy will be able to check & fix it.