When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What model Tudor sub is this?

radiohead101

I actually just bought that one! It's sitting on the counter in my kitchen. It's gorgeous. The movement hasn't been serviced in a long time though, so I need to get that done then I can start wearing it on a daily basis. Just out of curiosity, what do you think it would sell for (I think I got really lucky)?

It's a franken tudor for sure. Sorry to have to inform you of this...

The caseback says 7928... this model never had snowflake dial/hands. Furthermore the 7928 had a cal.390 which is actually a rolex movement only with tudor engravings. There have been 7928's with another movement (some ETA but not the one shown in the pictures) but those where military issues with cheaper movements as those sold at the AD's.

Pointy crown guards on a tudor sub are only found in the earliest models, among them the 7928. But the early models 7928 had a guild dial and the 7928 never had the snowflake dial... never.

Could you check what serial numer and model number are angraved between the lugs?

The case with the pointy crownguard does look very sweet i must say!! It looks like gen parts from different models where used and put together.

Hi guys,

Thank you again for your posts. You are such an incredible wealth of information. I have enclosed pictures of the lugs. Unfortunately I did not take these photos myself so I can not comment on the technique used to take them (they are really great quality though!) I believe the jeweler who took the case back off took the photos for the guy I bought this watch from.

Here is a summary of the history of the watch as given by the owner:

- He bought it in September 1963 at a Rolex AD in Zurich, Switzerland

- Had it serviced by Rolex NY in 1980 (thus the markings on the case back)

- Boxed the watch in 1985

- I don't seem to have the picture, but close-up on the movement reveals "ETA 2776"

He asked about his watch also at some point, and someone commented that this model/year should have a small rose with mercedes hands.

Rolex confirmed that they serviced the watch in December 1980. But they will no longer service this model and recommended that I contact the American Watchmakers-Clockmakers Institute to find someone to service it.

He tells me that he at no point remembers having the dial and hands changed, and does not remember at any time bringing it to an AD and them returning it with a different dial/hands. But he also tells me that it's been over a period of 44-45 years, so it's totally possible he doesn't remember it. (I can't even remember what in which US state I bought my 4 year old Seiko.) The owner also is not a big watch nut and it seems entirely possible that it was replaced at some point and maybe it didn't make a big impression on him. According to him, the only thing on the watch that he knows for sure has been replaced are the compressible pins that hold the bracelet to the case, which were replaced when the jeweler took the above photos because they were frozen after 44-45 years.

I was wondering what are the possibilities for having the incorrect dial / hands if this watch is in fact unmodified since the purchase from an AD in '63. I really have faith in the previous owner. He even drew up a signed agreement that gives me a few weeks with the watch and if I find that it's horrible or anything like that, he will take it back and give a full refund.

Thank you again

RH101

3cf3760a48.jpg

17c3f0caf7.jpg

RH, good to hear that you picked up your watch from a stand up seller. Based on the info I have, the ref 7928 was only available with the caliber 390,17-jewel/Valjoux722 & mercedes hands. I suspect a movement/dial/hand swap must have been made at some point for whatever reasons. Your Tudor has a very collectible case and depending on price, it's a nice watch.

I never understood fully the rationale for the substantial premium for the cal 390 as it is not a Rlx movement. Sourcing parts can also be a bear of a task. They are inaccurately advertised as Rlx movements way too often.