When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just got a Slevin, few questions

dazzla

I just received a Slevin today and I just want to check a few things. First up is the movement is pretty noisy, bit grindy; is that normal for an A7750? Secondly when I slowly rotate/move the watch next to my ear I can hear what sounds like stuff moving around in there.

The watch stopped ticking at one point, it needed the action of changing the time to kick it back into moving. Are any of these typical problems of the A7750?

Cheers

Edited by dazzla

Most importantly never .. ever change the day-date wheel without first positioning the hands @5:30 either am or pm respective of your real time..

you will cause irreputable damage to the wheels if you have the hands otherwise..

the rotor on the A7750 is notorious for the noise and grinding.. with proper servicing this can be fixed.. but it will really do no harm if left alone..

I have my A7750 movements fully serviced .. and they run to par with the swiss 7750 after servicing.. it is a tempermental movement .. some have stopped when new and after restarting have been trouble free..

contact your collector and let him know the issues now..he or she should replace it if it is a problem

try not to hand wind it as much as possible.. only to get it started and be careful to wind it slowly .. just enough for the mainspring to gain power then let the auto wind kick in.. another must do.. you could damge the movement if you continue to always charge the mainspring via the crown..

Live Strong and Wear it Well

Lani

I didn't realise it could actually be hand wound (how and how often should this be done?), I read about setting the date when the time is 5:30 so I done that but it was rattling straight out of the box.

I'll give it another day or so and see how it goes.

I didn't realise it could actually be hand wound (how and how often should this be done?), I read about setting the date when the time is 5:30 so I done that but it was rattling straight out of the box.

I'll give it another day or so and see how it goes.

Ziggy has explained the problems with over winding by hand.. it should be done only to "start" the power reserve in the mainspring .. and very slowly.. about 20 turns very gently, or just enough to start the movement and let the auto wind do the rest... if you are running the chrono .. it takes a lot of power so keep that in mind.. if your feeling a grinding when doing this you could have problems down the road.. or "slipping"

if you feel comfortable with removing the case back .. then check to see if the rotor is loose,, or are you confusing "rattling" with the noise of the rotor turning ??? the A7750 until fully serviced is "LOUD"

I could be confusing it with the rotor turning. It's not random rattling, it's only when you turn the watch in a certain direction and the noise is identical each time, very uniform.

It's the correct time this morning so I assume that it doesn't need winding?

I could be confusing it with the rotor turning. It's not random rattling, it's only when you turn the watch in a certain direction and the noise is identical each time, very uniform.

It's the correct time this morning so I assume that it doesn't need winding?

sounds like the A7750"s rotor....... it is unquestionably LOUD ... if the movement is running then just put it on and let the auto winder do the rest.... you can find winders to put the watch on at night to keep the power reserve going..

wind via crown only if the movement stops..

I would say it is the rotor turning, my one although its not very loud does make the same kind of noise but you only hear ir it you have it to your ear.

As for winding I work away quite a bit so I have to start mine quite a lot but I've never wound it much more that 2 turns, I pull the crown, wind it a few turns till the sec hand moves & set the day date and your good to go.

Most importantly never .. ever change the day-date wheel without first positioning the hands @5:30 either am or pm respective of your real time..

you will cause irreputable damage to the wheels if you have the hands otherwise..

This rule change every months or what ? :p

Isn't it: Don't change the date between 10PM and 2AM ??

The Zigmeister has explained the problems with over winding by hand..

Have a link about that ?!

Anyway, I always star my auto watch with 10 to 20 turn. No problem

Edited by vric

I would say its still between 10 & 2, 5:30 is just being extra carefull as its furthest away you can get the hands

That's my mind set... i do it at 5:30... SOP.. becomes routine .. for me to alway's go to 5:30

@vric.. yes there is a link to dicussion on the winding of auto movements... try the search it's here somewhere ... been discussed numerous times... :rolleyes:

Hi lanikai thanks for sharing about changing the day-date at 5:30 else I would have missed it. I'm expecting my coustea diver so I guess the day-date settings will be similar and I should do it at 5:30 too right? May I know how to go about to adjust the day and date so that I won't damage the watch as so far this will be my first day-date watch. Thanks.

Yep,

It is simpler to just remember to adjust both hands to be pointing "down" when adjusting the date. That way you don't have to worry about AM or PM.

The day change on my 7750ties (gens) have always been problematic.. That is the main reason I have not bought the TAG Heuer Aquatimer or the IWC 3717. Usually, one can remember the weekday. :)

Old stuff, but always worth to have in mind.

Wasn't it actually forbidden to change date between 8 pm and 4 am?

I heard the date change gears start to engage at 8 pm not 10 pm....

It is all kind of different information out there. That is why I just stick to only adjust date when "both hands pointing down"... :) It is always safe.

Hi lanikai thanks for sharing about changing the day-date at 5:30 else I would have missed it. I'm expecting my coustea diver so I guess the day-date settings will be similar and I should do it at 5:30 too right? May I know how to go about to adjust the day and date so that I won't damage the watch as so far this will be my first day-date watch. Thanks.

As chrgod states.. it's "simpler" to take the hands down to 5:30 instead of trying to determine am-pm .... for me it's become second nature..

people wonder .. "why" they have problems and the day wheel get's stuck half way through it's cycle.. and stay's there.. that could spoil your day..... you will hear all different thoughts,, 9pm to 3 am.. etc.. for me it's "KISS" ... (keep it simple stupid) :lol: ...

be mindful .. the maker of the CD and Slevin.. does a good job on the crown .. make sure your all the way out to the setting position before proceding to set the hands. .. you may find that you are still in the DW position.. that would cause problems if the hands are in the restricted area.. :o