When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Child Labor Cases Uncovered in China

eddhead

Keep in mind that population control has already been implemented in China. One family, one child if the family wants government support and benefits. This was initiated 2 decades ago. It is in our society and human nature to continue our bloodline so not having children does not become an option for most families. It is very easy to say that if you can not provide for a child, don't have one but this philosophy is not followed in society.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Carl

Having patiently read through all seven or eight pages of this thread I still do not have any kind of a thesis from the original poster.

Because there is child labor somewhere in China, at an undisclosed and unrelated to watch production center, are we all suddenly to be called to action?

Are all of us now guilty of a crime which we did not suspect or realize?

My impression of the Chinese I have dealt with in this illegal hobby for the past several years is that they aren't ten years old and wouldn't find a ten year old nearby able to build or regulate any kind of a watch, or be really adept at shipping it worldwide.

I'm not in favor of child labor in any sense. Just don't wind me up without some real evidence.

Carl

Having patiently read through all seven or eight pages of this thread I still do not have any kind of a thesis from the original poster.

The original poster has suspicions and is guided by his conscience. From his point of view, he is saying he will not support something that even has a chance of utilizing child labour. That's his prerogative.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old topic,

But somebody learned something new?

I'm new in the rep world...

The link rodwc is disturbing (on p.4), but I tend to agree with the synthesis Teejay (p.4 too)...

I found this on youtube... I know it's only one "factory" showing watches (not particularly reps) that looks really more cheap than most of our reps, but I found it interresting to see...

The original post from 2 years ago points out child labor in brick kilns and electronics manufacturing centers .. absolutely nothing specific to watches. 80% of the goods you buy are from China. I suppose you can go around naked if you like, with no phones, computers or ipads .. no TVs .. nothing. It's all made there. Simple as that.

China seems to be where the Western world was 120 years ago .. robber barons, unsafe working conditions, little regard for human rights ..

Say what you want about the current state of Western labor unions but THIS is why they exist. It was this way for us, in the West, so long ago .. and change came about thru unions.

A company will always put dollars ahead of people; it's the nature of things. Take personal responsibility away from decision making, and people can and will do terrible things in the name of their corporation.