When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PVDing a PAM...suggestions, possible group PVD thread.

promotersf

Sssurfer-

I did the original Palp finish on beadblasted case and it came out looking like every other DLC. And the funny things is that was an OEM supplier to PAM who had stopped using the Ti finishes and only did DLC. Mine looked almost rubbery - until I was dumb enough to drop it on the street. :bangin:

Rolli-

Needless to say your watches look great. I can never tell from photographs but to my eye you have matched colors and finishes to models very well. Am I right or is it because they are photographed in different lighting, etc.. To my eye the finish on the Pre-V looks exactly like ti.. irrespective of what it is and right for the 28 project.

-Kruz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dear kruz,

of course i take no tripod with the maco lens shots.

i make this kind of shots only with hand in different positions.

it's more creative and it gives more different light effects..

all gen pvd models in the shadow range are black and in the sun range anthracite/grey.

thats the same with my pvd models.

rolli

Rolli-

Needless to say your watches look great. I can never tell from photographs but to my eye you have matched colors and finishes to models very well. Am I right or is it because they are photographed in different lighting, etc.. To my eye the finish on the Pre-V looks exactly like ti.. irrespective of what it is and right for the 28 project.

-Kruz

Sssurfer-

I did the original Palp finish on beadblasted case and it came out looking like every other DLC. And the funny things is that was an OEM supplier to PAM who had stopped using the Ti finishes and only did DLC. Mine looked almost rubbery

Uhm... I think I cannot say mine looks rubbery... Here are some pics:

92840-27891.jpg

92840-27892.jpg

92840-27896.jpg

92840-27898.jpg

236903-11029.jpg

my028newstrapmi2.jpg

- until I was dumb enough to drop it on the street. :bangin:

I did exactly the same!!! :bangin::bangin:

I just got my 028 and of course the "PVD" looks awful but the dial and movement is why i bought this! If i sent out the case for beadblasting and gen PVD, will the PVD cover up the current dark grey/black color or will it just make the new PVD darker than it should be because it's already starting with a dark oolor.

If that's the case, maybe I should source a replacement SS Case. Do any of our experts here now if the movement will fit a standard rep case, and which case would be most accurate.

Excited about getting this project rolling! :)

If i sent out the case for beadblasting and gen PVD, will the PVD cover up the current dark grey/black color or will it just make the new PVD darker than it should be because it's already starting with a dark oolor.

Once properly beadblasted & recoated, the former look, color & surface should be no matter anymore. :thumbs:

If that's the case, maybe I should source a replacement SS Case.

Even if that's not the case, I am considering submitting a new case to the new beadblasting & PVD coating process (if any).

This way, the former PVD coat would not be left completely useless, I would hold it as a backup option.

Do any of our experts here now if the movement will fit a standard rep case, and which case would be most accurate.

In spite of its PR module, the 2892-A2 movement is one of the thinnest movements around, so it should be no problem to fit into another case.

Which case may be the most accurate, I would like to hear PAMman's advice or by our other expert members.

Simon needs to chime in on this because he researched this extensively, but from what I understand it is not a straightforward transplant of the 2892 Soprod movement into any other case. There is some milling of the case needed. I notice that the Power Reserve cases I have (027 & 028) are deeper or the caseback sits lower (which may mean just a deeper caseback) that a normal case.

I would love to know because I could just start with a fresh Polished case to make the PVD process less costly. As it stands now, since this latest batch of 028's are a PVD coating on a brushed case, there are multiple steps required to get a new PVD coating Right. The case needs to be blasted to remove the existing coating. Polished to accept the new bead blasting and then PVD coated.

Simon needs to chime in on this because he researched this extensively, but from what I understand it is not a straightforward transplant of the 2892 Soprod movement into any other case. There is some milling of the case needed. I notice that the Power Reserve cases I have (027 & 028) are deeper or the caseback sits lower (which may mean just a deeper caseback) that a normal case.

I would love to know because I could just start with a fresh Polished case to make the PVD process less costly. As it stands now, since this latest batch of 028's are a PVD coating on a brushed case, there are multiple steps required to get a new PVD coating Right. The case needs to be blasted to remove the existing coating. Polished to accept the new bead blasting and then PVD coated.

You are completely correct the 2892 will not fit in just any case. The problem is with the winder stem, We must tried 50 different cases for Simon and none would sit correctly leaving the stem entering the case at an angle. Even cases from 4813 and ETA 2836 movements couldn't be used

That's what I was afraid of, I was planning on just sending out another SS case set. I actually asked the ioffer supplier and he confirmed this, that the angle of the stem would not fit so all of us that have the pretreated 28 cases will need to bead blast, polish, then PVD...I'm okay with this, since this will be my ONLY PVD model I want this baby perfect.

It's great to hear everyone chiming in because, as a collective, we can gather all the information and make the best decision.

dave

Hi Robert - welcome aboard. You'll find this place second to none for knowledge of Panerai watches and there's an incredible eye for detail among the collective.

Kruzer's right - the best case to use is a Jimmy that's been re-milled and ideally a Jimmy CG .with OEM crown - but that's not an easy option unless you have the parts..

I think Rolli's got the best PVD right now - I have a Jack IWW PVD PAM 28 and it's superb in many ways - but I think Rolli's is the most satisfying - the one you really struggle to pick faults with out of the 2 I can't comment with any more knowledge than this - but think the belief is shared about Rolli's PVD.

The trouble I have had trying to assemble parts for a PAM 27 as echoed by Robert - is trying to find a case to fit . a 63 for 2836 doesn't work and neither do any of the handwound options I have tried. The stem just doesn't line up correctly with the existing spacer ring.

The Jimmy case I had milled for a 27 was no good to Ziggy as the case clamp slots are different for 2892 and this had to be abandoned....for now.

The original 28 case is OK - and I can live with the tall bezel - but needs a new CG , OEM Crown - beadblasting and re-PVD plated by Rolli to make it outstanding.

Add a SSSurfer Cyclops and a Lello DW and this piece should be near perfect.

It's going to be a medium term project for me ...no quick wins but I much prefer having a brand new watch to work with :-)

Simon

:fish:

A few new info to add on the case swap issue (shame on me, I just disassembled my 028 for the nth time -- I just hope it's for a good reason :) ).

Surely neither handwind cases nor 7750 cases would fit. Hard to find two movements more different than the 2892-A2 (the thinnest movement around) and the 7750 (the tickest).

Out of 4 Asian auto cases I just tried, they all fitted the 2892-A2 movement & dial in a snap, with perfect alignement of the stem.

Rather, problems came out from the spacer ring or the caseback.

Two of those cases fitted the 028 metal spacer ring, but not the caseback.

The other twos fitted the caseback, but not the spacer ring.

In consideration that the caseback is something that can be looked at without opening the watch, differently from the spacer ring, I am leaning towards replacing the "original" spacer with a plastic one.

I think I'll end up with going for it, for the sake of leaving the "original" case at home & untouched...

So if I read you right M, none of the other cases are an option if you want to keep the original spacer ring?

You may keep the spacer ring but in this case you have to change the caseback, you cannot keep the "original" 028 caseback. :black_eye:

That is what happened with 2 out of the 4 Asian auto cases I tried.

Between replacing the caseback or the spacer ring, I would prefer replacing the spacer ring.

At least this is as far as with the cases I gave a try.

BTW, I also tried a few handwind cases, Homer's included, and they did not work. Wrong stem aligment as expected.

Just getting back into town, WOW...thanks for all the effort Marco, you answered so many possible scenarios with your trial and error.

so basically, you are SOL unless you have a Jimmy Fu case...

I guess I'll have to have my finish removed, bead blasted, then PVDed

:victory:

Undecided yet, we have a couple excellent options. I may go with a referral from Theo, but Rolli's and Ki's look solid as well. I'll PM you before I send it out, waiting for my cyclops and datewheel to show up so that I can send it up to The Zigmeister.

The crappy thing is will the PVD come out MUCH darker since it already has the "PVD" look...obviously going to bead blast away since we need to utilize the same case due to the movement size, otherwise I would be sending out a SS case out for the PVD.

Undecided yet, we have a couple excellent options. I may go with a referral from Theo, but Rolli's and Ki's look solid as well. I'll PM you before I send it out, waiting for my cyclops and datewheel to show up so that I can send it up to The Zigmeister.

The crappy thing is will the PVD come out MUCH darker since it already has the "PVD" look...obviously going to bead blast away since we need to utilize the same case due to the movement size, otherwise I would be sending out a SS case out for the PVD.

I em also whaiting for cyclop and dw, not sure i will be abel to get the dw.

The pvd when bedblasted i em sure will look great, as it is now the pvd looks awful like black plastic coating..

I think rollis pvd looked great.

Pm me when you now more bro.

Cheers