When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PVDing a PAM...suggestions, possible group PVD thread.

promotersf

Hey fellow Pamaholics,

I know several of us have pending PVD projects, I recently got a chance to jump all over a PAM 028-2892 power reserve as did other lucky members. After cyclops, lello datewheel, tritium lume, and gen crown mods...all we need is the best PVD.

I had contemplated earlier this year getting a gen 000 and sending it out for PVD, but didn't due to the cost of the gen and worrying about whether i would like the final product. Now that I have a 028 that DEMANDS a proper PVD treatment, any thoughts and who to approach?

Thorsten has a great guy in EU, I know Ajoesmith has run some PVD projects, and Rolli comes up as another great possible contact. I'm not trying to set up a group PVD, but maybe collectively, we can narrow down our searches and send them down to get PVDed.

Thanks in advance. :victory:

dave

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, count me in.

If in EU, even better!

Looking for some verification on the processes offered, CORRECTION TiAN or TiC being the one I want as well...the correct dark grey. Please also note that I am not putting together a PVD group run as I've received a couple PMs already. This is just a fact finding mission for any and all of us planning on doing a PVD project. :victory:

If I am not wrong... TiN gives you a gold coating.. what you guys are after is TiAIN.... I have PVDed a caseset here in Singapore using a TiAIN PVD process... looks just like the Pre-V coating... greyish with a very slight tinge of purple... I will post a pic soon...

I may be mistaken but it is not that TiN gives you a gold color it is that TiN is the coating which best take additional additives to form virtually any color. Wouldn't gold plating on top of TiN be TiNAu? In any case the ti spectrum is greyer and more manipulable than DLC.

I'll be doing the same with the PAM028 I got a couple years back when it was first out ... never worn it either!

Also, I'm thinking of getting a bracelet PVD'd ... but will anyone do it if i separate all the links and unscrew all parts?

Lug screws/spring bars will have to be done too. As well as a buckle or 2 for strap days.

Only problem I have... who can do the genuine crown mod in the EU? I have the crown already... the genuine PVD one as well as SS and titanium ones.

I have researched this topic and I came to the conclusion that Rolli can provide the best finish for the preA and A series Panerai. In fact I would have already sent mine if I could get a tube made to suit my genuine crown. I'm intending to use a gen Ti crown with a Jimmy Fu case & crownguard, get it PVD'd and drop my genuine preA1 dial / movement into it. My current problem is getting a wider tube to take the genuine B series crown as Jimmy's cases are 1:1 copies of the D series watches. The B series had seals on the shaft of the crown and the shaft was thicker to allow for the grooves that seat the seals while the D series had a narrower smooth shaft and a seal within the tube.

Unless anyone can demonstrate that there is a better source for the correct PVD finish I am likely to go with Rolli as soon as I get this problem sorted.

Hey guys...

Here are the pics... not the best I apologise... I only have a simple Ricoh digital camera... non of the high end SLRs....

RIMG3451.jpg

RIMG3462.jpg

RIMG3463.jpg

RIMG3465.jpg

RIMG3467.jpg

RIMG3447.jpg

The coating looks a bit chalky in the pics... but I gurantee it is not.... very smooth.... not like the DSN cases....

The color is also a bit lighter.... pencil grey.... with hint of purple....

This is going to be the ultimate PAM26..... soon.... ;)

Kai

Edited by kye_lin

Are we talking about beadblasting too?

I got my 028 case PVD coated by the company found by palp (the same company that was once performing PVD coating on gen Pams), and as you can guess by the fact that I am still searching elsewhere, I am not completely satisfied with it.

And I bet it is because of lacking a proper beadblasting in advance.

So my interest in a new PVD coat is bound with a new & good beadblasting.

I've seen Rolli's pics before and thought they were great, but I'm not the expert on PVD Pams (that was finepics .. and his guy won't do them anymore).

I may get an unbranded skeleton watch PVD'd though :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Any other experts like to chime in?

Kruzer?

you can get any kind of pvd color in connection with any kind of bead blasting.

there is no standard.

but you need a blasting expert and the different bead materials.

my blasting and pvd expert in my local company is a goldsmith.

i've got from her a lot of know how.

so.. of course it's right, that the blasting in connection with different basic materials and different steps

influenced the end result of the pvd color.

for me i have decided the dark anthracite pvd coating in connection with step1 - mixed granulate bead blasting

and second step - glass/ceramic bead blasting. then pvd coating dark anthracite.

but you can get also a black pvd coating with only glass / ceramic bead blasting.

rolli

you can get any kind of pvd color in connection with any kind of bead blasting.

there is no standard.

but you need a blasting expert and the different bead materials.

my blasting and pvd expert in my local company is a goldsmith.

i've got from her a lot of know how.

so.. of course it's right, that the blasting in connection with different basic materials and different steps

influenced the end result of the pvd color.

for me i have decided the dark anthracite pvd coating in connection with step1 - mixed granulate bead blasting

and second step - glass/ceramic bead blasting. then pvd coating dark anthracite.

but you can get also a black pvd coating with only glass / ceramic bead blasting.

rolli

Informative.

Funny coincidence, like Promotersf I got one of the recent 2892 PAM 28 and have also a gen PVD crown, SSSurfer Cyclops and soon Lello DW on the way.

I like the way the PVD was done on Rollis PAMs and also that it is done here in my home country (gotta support the local economy ;) ) Every of his watches is flawless - at least from the technical and modding side, so I hope to recieve some similar nice result, as I don

You're a lucky man, if you can get out of this hobby with a collection that makes you happy, and only $1000 damage ;)

I think you misunderstood me - $1000 for my last watch plus material to make it close to perfect - not yet taking into account pvd and watchsmith work :huh:

But I love the hobnail and PVD, would be also my favorite gen, otherwise the PAM 025...

So I will give my bank account a small rest and then attack it. Does anyone know where the rep makers procure these 2892 with the power reserve module - are these used ones so servicing would be advised?

@sssurfer....was your watch NOT beatblasted before coating????

Honestly, unsure about it.

When I got my 028 back from palp's PVD coating, there was a slight improvement on the rep-PVD shiny look -- but surely not at the level of other PVD coatings that made their appearance lately, like kye_lin's, rolli's and ajoesmith's.

one year of buying reps is enough :rolleyes: and already cost $1000 in material - please don