When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An Omega-Panerai, anyone?

chrgod

While searching eBay for fun watches, I came across this "WW2 German Military watch"

c6631.jpg

c6632.jpg

c6636.jpg

Actually, the seller is reasonabely honest in his description. :lol:

"I bring to your attention rarest Swiss collectables mechanical wristwatch OMEGA AVIATOR LACO for German Army, Luftwaffe, and WWII period. An analogous watch was used in military Luftwaffe Pilots, but remained the privilege of officers. From pocket watch is altered in wrist watch. The dial was restored. But military actions, the natural phenomena and time have put out of commission the old case. Under the special order the case of model of that time has been created. The watch is in a working order, condition excellent. The watch restored, checked, adjusted by master in 2008. Getting such thing you do good capital investment. Every year the price for them will increase only! This watch is a stylish acquisition for collectors, good present or for everyday use!"

Guest carlsbadrolex

I give him credit for one thing... That is the cleanes lever pin install Ive ever seen. It almost appeared that there was not pin. If he would ditch that crystal, it would be a nice looking watch.

lol cyclops, btw he has also some iwc and longines they seem to be allright?

Almost all his watches are converted pocket watches redialed to look like WW2military pieces (an interesting branch of the Replica game..).

But, I agree that some of the watches look to be ok for the money. He also has some probably genuine pieces. I am tempted by the "RLM" (ReichLuftMinisterium) Luftwaffe watch.. Of course, the engraving on the caseback might have been done later.

Its probably my eyes, but look at the second picture. It kinda looks like the minute hand is glued to the underside of the crystal. :o

i dont think so but the cyclops is the funniest thing on that watch and the sharp cannon pin :D

Those converted pocket watches are kinda an interesting way to get a vintage watch in a modern size; here's a nice 55mm Longines.

that longines is nice indeed, big pilotish..and for a price of rep...

hey wait a minute....maybe you can build a big pilot with that movt? or at least redial and change hands. what do u think?

These watches are known as "Marriage Watches" where an old pocket watch, preferably a small one, is fitted into a wristwatch case. The large watch phenomenon is what makes these saleable. I'd get an IWC one, if I saw one for a good price.

These watches are known as "Marriage Watches" where an old pocket watch, preferably a small one, is fitted into a wristwatch case. The large watch phenomenon is what makes these saleable. I'd get an IWC one, if I saw one for a good price.

Like these ones maybe...? :) But at 850-1000 USD they are expensive, and 50mm is too big for everyday wear.

IWC_1.jpg

Black hands on a black dial seems silly, but it can be fixed.

IWC_2.jpg

IWC_3.jpg

IWC_11.jpg

A good looker, but not an IWC case. Display caseback is a bit odd, but nice to see the movement.

IWC_33.jpg

IWC_111.jpg

This one is the one I like best.. A striking dial!

IWC_4.jpg

IWC Inscription on the inner lid.

IWC_5.jpg

And, a clean movement..

But, I personally prefer this 42mm Omega. At 450, it is also a lot cheaper.

Omega_pilot1.jpg

Omega_pilot2.jpg

Odd crown, but a good looker. :)