When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just landed... DSN 104

gianton

Just received it... took about a week to arrive via registered air mail. Well packed as usual from Davidsen, with my name written on the box.

Unlikely to other members watches, I can set the date and time but the lever opens and closes very tight. Also the lever is polished instead of brushed as per the GEN one. The crown is a bit thinner than my gen's 111. Major fault is at the dial where there is a misprint at letter "t" in word "Automatic" (see pic no. 1 & 2).

Now to the pics.

1. Nice dial overall but there is the misprint

2vv0x1e.jpg

33o0cv9.jpg

2. Compared to DSN's watch at his sales post

2rg2pas.jpg

3. The dial looks from black to blue under different angles

25qb2o2.jpg

2dhwo07.jpg

mccdix.jpg

4. Caseback

23tpbtz.jpg

5. Next to my fiddy

ezllk.jpg

6. Compared to my GEN 111

2ynqqmq.jpg

7. Compared to a GEN 104

153qiyb.jpg

Overall is a great watch, feels heavy and has this GEN look. But I think I will send it back to Davidsen for a replacement due to the misprint in the dial.

If only Davidsen's QC wasn't this bad... :( :( :(

Thanks for the review, gianton!

All in all, a great watch. If it were not for the date, it would be impossible to tell the dial from the gen without a side-to-side comparison, and even in that case hard or almost impossible to tell.

Same about the caseback.

I stll wonder why Davidsen does not make improvements on his Contemporary crowns.

Maybe it's because he sells a lot of pre-V / vintage models, where that crown is pretty correct.

What a shame for the misprinted "t"! I think you are doing well asking for a replacement.

The Zigmeister no doubt.

Other modders: maybe, if they already make relume works.

Is that a magnification or date wheel problem.

Both. But I would say that the cyclops problem is the greatest of the twos.

About the upgrade... this was a step in the right direction -- still far from perfect, though.

Both. But I would say that the cyclops problem is the greatest of the twos.

About the upgrade... this was a step in the right direction -- still far from perfect, though.

When you compare this cylops/date-combo to the ones on the new DSN 088/089 and the new 'ultimate' PAM104/164/229, which one comes the closest to gen?

@Gianton: congrats with your new watch! Too bad that you need to fix the dial flaw, but apart from that it looks awesome :tu:

When you compare this cylops/date-combo to the ones on the new DSN 088/089 and the new 'ultimate' PAM104/164/229, which one comes the closest to gen?

They look exactly the same, IMO.

Surprisingly enough, as, AFAIK, DSN and the other makers developed their solutions independently.

They both came to using a recessed cyclops embedded in a sandwich crystal, though.

This is less surprise, as this is the only way to have a 7mm cyclops with adequate mag on 7750 PAMs without getting into low room troubles between the cyclops and the hands.

They look exactly the same, IMO.

Surprisingly enough, as, AFAIK, DSN and the other makers developed their solutions independently.

They both came to using a recessed cyclops embedded in a sandwich crystal, though.

This is less surprise, as this is the only way to have a 7mm cyclops with adequate mag on 7750 PAMs without getting into low room troubles between the cyclops and the hands.

Thnx for the background info!

So do you think that upgrading with a Lello DW would be a further improvement?

So do you think that upgrading with a Lello DW would be a further improvement?

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about it.

I had a chance to look at a DSN DW not yet assembled into the watch, and it looked just a little less good than a Lello DW.

Still, once mounted in the watch, it looks worse.

Unfortunately DSN was pretty stingy about further info on the matter.

In the end, I think that the cyclops is the greatest problem of the two. But not the only one. After working on dozens different cyclopses, I developed a bit of a sense of how much of a problem is due to the cyclops and how much to the DW, and here I would say it is 70-75% due to the cyclops, 25-30% to the DW.

So, I think you may expect an improvement -- but not a great one -- by replacing the DW only.

Sorry for not being able to offer a better advice, I too got very few info about this subject.

.............After working on dozens different cyclopses, I developed a bit of a sense of how much of a problem is due to the cyclops and how much to the DW, and here I would say it is 70-75% due to the cyclops, 25-30% to the DW.

I've recently ordered 2 Lello DW's. So I will have to see by trial and error if it works better on the ultimate PAM164, the DVN-PAM088 or none. I'll let you know my experience as soon as the parts and the 088 are in.

I've recently ordered 2 Lello DW's. So I will have to see by trial and error if it works better on the ultimate PAM164, the DVN-PAM088 or none. I'll let you know my experience as soon as the parts and the 088 are in.

Great! Thanks! :thumbs:

I am sure there are quite a lot of members interested in your outcome as well as me.

I love it when Sssurfer replies. You do a great job of clearing things up, thank you sir.

Wow... thanks!