When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

River's Vintage Pam Offering

TomBombadil

but what does it mean?

Looks like its the guys name, then something like Swim Camp, (ie, the equivalent of "Navy Seal School", etc) and finally the date.

Pretty cool, kind of like the Vietnam era Zippos (also faked a lot too...) which soldiers had engraved while serving overseas.

75964-31539.jpg

75964-31540.jpg

Edited by sonystyle

I may be mistaken, but I believe it indicates the division and group that the divers were in...

Hmmm, maybe youre right its a division or group and not the guys name. But I think that the rough engraving is supposed to indicate that it was personally etched by the soldier himself on his issued watch, like a commemoration of sorts.

Youd think that officially issused watches must have had neater engravings on them...done with a proper machine...

But it's Germany in 1945...... :g:

Not to ruin anyone's vintage experience w/ some PC rant, but do we really want Nazi stuff engraved on the back of our watches? Didn't occur to me either until a friend of mine pointed it out....

Plus, unless you do some Nanuq magic on that watch who's going to believe that some German frogman wore that watch for his Fuhrer...

Not to ruin anyone's vintage experience w/ some PC rant, but do we really want Nazi stuff engraved on the back of our watches? Didn't occur to me either until a friend of mine pointed it out....

Plus, unless you do some Nanuq magic on that watch who's going to believe that some German frogman wore that watch for his Fuhrer...

But I asume that most PAM lovers know, that PAM diving watches was used be the Italian fascists too.

Keep this rep collecting out of politics.

It´s definitely a part of the myth around Panerai.

So why don´t have it in a rep.

Keller / SK are one guys initials... And yeah its exactly like the vietnam zippo, they were not engraved uniform, each guy did his own thing and few were done by the same person. Its seams they had a few differant dials, the rolex/radiomir/california with either cal 5513 (cortebert 618) or cortbert 616 movement.

Not every German was a Nazi - most were professional soldiers fighting a war to defend their homeland - whatever the politics!! And a great many allied military men had the highest respect for their axis counterparts and vice versa. These watches are as legitimate a piece of history as are the IWC's made for the Royal Air Force.

Not every German was a Nazi - most were professional soldiers fighting a war to defend their homeland - whatever the politics!! And a great many allied military men had the highest respect for their axis counterparts and vice versa. These watches are as legitimate a piece of history as are the IWC's made for the Royal Air Force.

From Wikipedia:

Einsatzgruppen (German for "mission groups", loosely translated as "task force") were paramilitary groups operated by the SS before and during World War II. Their principal task, in the words of SS General Erich von dem Bach-Zelewski at the Nuremberg Trial, "was the annihilation of the Jews, gypsies, and political commissars." :whistling:

According to their own records, the Einsatzgruppen operatives are responsible for killing over 1 million people, almost exclusively civilians, without judicial review and later without semblance of legality (no reading of sentences of martial or administrative law), starting with the Polish intelligentsia and quickly progressing by 1941 to target primarily the Jews of Eastern Europe. The historian Raul Hilberg however estimates that between 1941 and 1945 the Einsatzgruppen murdered over 1.4 million Jews in open air shootings. :black_eye:

I'm pretty sure that Einsatzgruppen "Keller" was the name of a unit, rather than the owner of the watch.

From Wikipedia:

Einsatzgruppen (German for "mission groups", loosely translated as "task force") were paramilitary groups operated by the SS before and during World War II. Their principal task, in the words of SS General Erich von dem Bach-Zelewski at the Nuremberg Trial, "was the annihilation of the Jews, gypsies, and political commissars." :whistling:

According to their own records, the Einsatzgruppen operatives are responsible for killing over 1 million people, almost exclusively civilians, without judicial review and later without semblance of legality (no reading of sentences of martial or administrative law), starting with the Polish intelligentsia and quickly progressing by 1941 to target primarily the Jews of Eastern Europe. The historian Raul Hilberg however estimates that between 1941 and 1945 the Einsatzgruppen murdered over 1.4 million Jews in open air shootings. :black_eye:

I'm pretty sure that Einsatzgruppen "Keller" was the name of a unit, rather than the owner of the watch.

I don't understand why they would need a diver's watch unless they were divers, in which case, I can't see how divers and underwater operations would have been involved in this? :g:

Read the link posted earlier:

"On 25. Febr. 1945 Ltnt. Keller took 16 men from the training center List to form the Group East. Their HQ was Ahlbeck on the isle of Usedom, from where they operated against the narrow Russian front by destroying bridges over the river Oder.

The Italian were divers with heavy lead shoes, the Germans were swimmers with fins. For breathing they did not have air pressure bottles but devices with carbide to reproduce oxygen."

So they were not part of killing political dissidents, gypsies, jews, non-whites, etc ?

Read the link posted earlier:

"On 25. Febr. 1945 Ltnt. Keller took 16 men from the training center List to form the Group East. Their HQ was Ahlbeck on the isle of Usedom, from where they operated against the narrow Russian front by destroying bridges over the river Oder.

The Italian were divers with heavy lead shoes, the Germans were swimmers with fins. For breathing they did not have air pressure bottles but devices with carbide to reproduce oxygen."

So they were not part of killing political dissidents, gypsies, jews, non-whites, etc ?

That just proves that they're involved in scorched earth operations against the advancing Soviet troops at the very end of the war, with Berlin just 70km away. Nobody knows what they did before that.