When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Molnija Movement

flyback

following are the pics.

this 17 jewels movement loose five minutes per hour so it needs some servicing but ticks regularly. it was"born" in april 1964, that's a 42years old movement....

you know what? i was the only bidder for this watch... i paid it usd 0.99! :bangin:

76197-31493.jpg

Congratulations, a good buy! :)

Looks like a nice movement. I guess it has 18 jewels... Judging by the text on the bottom "18KAMHEN"

I also have a Molinja pocketwatch. A fine watch, but it ticks very loud and they are not shock-resistent.

Good luck with your project.

Edited by chrgod

Nice aquisition! It´s a beautiful movement.

Question is: what will you do with it?

Last weekend I bought myself a cortébert cal. 616 on the local flea market (not for 0.99 but cheap).

After 2 days of rejoice I took it last Monday to my watchsmith who told me that it would be very difficult to fit it into a RWX case so now I dont know what to do with it!!!!

I wish you better luck with yours!

M.

Edited by madasboot

Last weekend I bought myself a cortébert cal. 616 on the local flea market (not for 0.99 but cheap).

After 2 days of rejoice I took it last Monday to my watchsmith who told me that it would be very difficult to fit it into a RWX case so now I dont know what to do with it!!!!

There is an old Zen saying "when the student is ready the teacher appears" I would put the movement away for a while and wait, eventually some case will come along that will work.....of course,,,,,,,what do I know after a bottle of chianti.....

There is an old Zen saying "when the student is ready the teacher appears" I would put the movement away for a while and wait, eventually some case will come along that will work.....of course,,,,,,,what do I know after a bottle of chianti.....

Right now I would swap that bottle of chianti for the damn mvmt!

Hope I will get some good use for it. One thing I can assure the little b***rd is gorgeous and very well finished!

BTW can someone explain me the difference between a 15 and a 17 jewel movement?

Cheers,

M.

Edited by madasboot

The numbers simply mean the number of jewelled bearings in the movt. The difference between 15 and 17 jewels in relation to the Cortebert you have are with the centre wheel (the gold gear wheel in the centre) which in a 15j version will usually have a brass bearing in the top and bottom plates instead of a jewel.

Do we know the cortebert will not fit the case you have sent me?

The numbers simply mean the number of jewelled bearings in the movt. The difference between 15 and 17 jewels in relation to the Cortebert you have are with the centre wheel (the gold gear wheel in the centre) which in a 15j version will usually have a brass bearing in the top and bottom plates instead of a jewel.

Do we know the cortebert will not fit the case you have sent me?

The watchsmith gave me his opinion on a RXW case.

He said it would give him too much work to get it fitted on it.

On the other hand this movement is the basis for the molnjina ones so I think it should have the same measures and fit. But he´s the professional not me... :)

I dont know if it fits the 3646 I sent you but I can measure it or take some pictures to show you.

Cheers,

M.

• 1 month later...

when i tried to fit the rep's hands onto the same vintage molnija movement, i ran into some problems. anyone with experience pls give some help...!

A) the rep dial too thick/cannon pin too short. This cause hands to not stay on. I swapped the cannon pins so that longer one from the rep is on the molnija, but the main shaft was a tiny bit too thick for the rep's canon pin and it won't rotate (can't adjust the time). :(:(

B ) movement too small for the case. i guess i just need to find a way to make a spacer... any good suggestions?

thanks...

Edited by gattenda

when i tried to fit the rep's hands onto the same vintage molnija movement, i ran into some problems. anyone with experience pls give some help...!

A) the rep dial too thick/cannon pin too short. This cause hands to not stay on. I swapped the cannon pins so that longer one from the rep is on the molnija, but the main shaft was a tiny bit too thick for the rep's canon pin and it won't rotate (can't adjust the time). :(:(

B ) movement too small for the case. i guess i just need to find a way to make a spacer... any good suggestions?

thanks...

If I remember right you do not need to change the cannon pinion - just the hour wheel. I had to very slightly ream out the minute hand hole (as it is to small) to make it fit. The hour hand should go on as normal.

The movt itself should be the same size as the existing Molnija so not sure why you are having problems there.

I C... may be there are several vintage movements and they are slightly different. the one i have is just like the picture shown, except the center jewel is a brass piece (i think the one i have may be 1 generation older). i measured the thickness and this was thinner than the one in the rep.

105117-25272.jpg

Edited by gattenda

you think your molnija movements looking good?

ok than look my molnija movement :bleh:

hand engraving

but i sold it for 6 month :bangin:

i am so stupid... it will fit panerai vintage replica case :o

why i not build my own vintage panerai with this beautiful movement???