When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does anyone have a Breitling rep with a UTC strap - Help!

Tom

I've got an Avenger with a UTC bracelet. It's one of my oldest reps and is still going strong despite being bought in 2005.

One thing I have never ever worked out is how the UTC clock works. The dial has 24 at the 12 o'clock, 6 at 3, 12 at 6 and 9.

So the numerals on the dial are, from the top going clockwise 24,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22

If you wind the stem around a full turn so the minute hand goes around the dial once from 24 to 24, the hour moves ahead 2 hours from say, 2 to 4 to 6.

This means that for every hour that goes by on the actual watch the UTC moves 2 hours.

If the main dial says 12 O'clock and the UTC says 6, but the time the main dial says 1 O'clock, the UTC says 8 and not 7.

Surely this cannot be right - It's supposed to work like a GMT hand isn't it and show a 24 hour clock so you can have another time zone.

I'm very confused and think I must just be missing something, or maybe my UTC is faulty and moves 2 hours per rotation instead of one.

I realise that this is probably the most confusing sounding post, but not sure how to explain it better.

If anyone can translate it and know whats up i'd be grateful.

• 2 weeks later...
Bugger. :o

Tom, I just picked up a super avenger with the UTC dial and I have the exact same problem. When I turn the crown so the minute hand goes all the way around, the hour hand moves two hours! Must have been made on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon at the factory :lol: Mine is probably 2 years old from what the previous owner told me.

I recently just set it so the UTC hour hand "looks" like the regular watch head's hour hand and they line up exactly all day (even though the numbers are off)

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks

X

Edited by 335xray

Tom, I just picked up a super avenger with the UTC dial and I have the exact same problem. When I turn the crown so the minute hand goes all the way around, the hour hand moves two hours! Must have been made on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon at the factory :lol: Mine is probably 2 years old from what the previous owner told me.

I recently just set it so the UTC hour hand "looks" like the regular watch head's hour hand and they line up exactly all day (even though the numbers are off)

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks

X

We'd have to see what movement is in the UTC. Perhaps there is a similar sized 24hr version available. Those are quartz I believe and likely only worth a couple of dollars.