When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to successfully re-paint bezel markings?

rek001

Hi, I Have an Invicta Speedway (Daytona style) and the black fill-in of the markings on the steel bezel have pretty much worn away.

I would like to fill them in again, but, in thinking about how to do this, I'm not very sure.

I'm afraid I will make a permannet mess of it and not be able to correct it.

Can anyone advise me - what type of paint to use, best way to get the paint into the markings, and most importantly, how to wipe off the excess cleanly without wiping off the paint in the markings?

In advance, I thank you very much.

An alternative to using paint , which by the way is used in all antique clock engraving ( dial numerals etc,)

is BLACK WAX similar to a crayon.

There is actually a filler stick specially made for this job from Meadows and Passmore ( UK )

The wax is applied to a flat knife or spatula , heated again , then smeared into the markings, heated again and the excess wiped off.

When I say heated, I mean very gently or you will fry your watch.

Guest carlsbadrolex

I have successfully used testors black model paint on many bezels. As neatly as possible fill the numbers. Let sit for a few minutes (not long enough to dry completely, but enough to set up a little) wipe off the excess.

On brushed finishes, Ive let it dry completely and used the back side of a scrub pad to brush the extra paint off.

Remove the bezel & spray some automotive engine (high temp) paint on it making sure it seeps down into the depths of the engraved numbers. While still wet, take a soft lint-free cloth dampened (not soaking) with paint thinner and gently wipe the surface (do not press down into the grooves of the engraving) until the surface is clear of paint. You may need to wipe a few times with fresh clothes to get it completely clean. Let the bezel dry & reinstall. If you have ever installed a groated tile floor, the process is very similar.

@carlsbad and freddy

Thank you both for your excellent suggestions!

Although I think I will try carlsbad's approach, I don't know how to remove the bezel.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

I don't know how to remove the bezel.

Some people like to use a razor blade, but I prefer a razor blade paint scraper like this (most hardware stores sell them)

RazorBladeScraper.jpg

Carefully work the blade under the bezel & then continue around the circumference of the case. On some watches, it can take 20-30 minutes to work the bezel loose, but, eventually, it will start sliding up & you can then work it off the case.

Every once in awhile, you may run into a bezel that has been epoxyed onto the case, which can be a problem. But this is pretty rare with quality reps.

Thanks for the tip, Freddy, I may try it.

However, I wouldn't consider an Invicta Speedway a "quality rep" LOL.

Actually, now that I think of it - I'm slighting it, at least its quartz chrono movement won't crap out after 6 months...