When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Helped an old man with his Day Date today....

Nightstroker

I was playin poker today on a 1-2 no limit table when an elderly man sat next to me....after the hand was over I noticed that he was wearing an old vintage YG Rolex Day Date with 12 diamond hour markers on the bezel and bar markers on the dial....

After a few hands I was taking a closer look at the watch and I noticed that it was reading SATURDAY....so when the hand was over I says to the guy....

"Hey, you watch is readin that its Saturday there buddy." So he says....

"Oh ya....I dont even bother with that stuff....I just make sure that the time is correct....thats about it." So I says....

"Hey ya know I can fix that up for ya right now if you want."

He IMMEDIATELY takes off the $15,000 watch and hands it over to me....wow....I was a little shocked....

When I first held the watch in my hand I was really surprised at just how heavy it really is....this thing makes my rep DD feel like a Casio....

Here is a picture of the watch he handed me....the bracelet is correct in the photo....but the bezel had 12 diamonds and the dial had bar markers....

ygdaydate.jpg

I unscrewed the crown and pulled it out to the date position....I adjusted the day to Tuesday and corrected the date as well....he had it set to the 27th....Im not sure if he had the am pm correct on it....Ill have another look at it next time I see him at the table....

While I was fiddling with the watch the dealer asked me if I was a jeweler....no....just a watch collector....

Then the dealers changed and the next dealer was wearing a TT Date Just with a fluted bezel....lol....seems like everybody has a Rolex now a days....and the guy across from me was wearing an SMP!....the guy on my right had a RADO with diamond pave dail....

You see a lot of nice watches in the poker room....and so far I have only seen one rep....it was a lousy sub with a green bezel....pearl was puke....

You see a lot of nice watches in the poker room....and so far I have only seen one rep....it was a lousy sub with a green bezel....pearl was puke....

Don't trust that guy! He probably cheats! :D

The gen is more like a $40k watch & most people are surprised when they feel how heavy a real gold watch is. A sure give-away for 'gold' reps.

I do not believe it was a Presidential....just a YG Day Date with 12 diamonds....

Don't trust that guy! He probably cheats! :D

Didnt hurt me none....I walked out + $300!

He actually played a couple of really bad hands and lost a lot of money....

The flop came down....8D JD JH....

The guy to his right bets $40 and the old man calls....

The turn card was 7D....so the board shows 8D JD JH (7D)....

The guy to his right bets $50 and the old man calls....

The river came 7C....so the board shows 8D JD JH 7D (7C)....

The guy to his right bets $100....the old man goes all in with $125 and gets called....

Poor old man turns over a flush....he should have known that the guy he was up against had either a 7 or a JACK making a full house....and that is exactly what happened....he showed a JC 10C for a boat....

Oopsies....wrong time to go all in....with that dangerous river card....

I know an older guy who has a late 60's TT date model with a pie pan dial that he won in a sales contest years ago. He never sets the date because it doesn't have the quick set feature. He has to rotate the hands until it reaches the required date. He says it is a real PITA and he doesn't care since he doesn't wear it dalily. He also told me he had never had it serviced :o . I am surprised that it still runs because it has to be running dry. Some people just don't give a rat's patoot.

It happened again....last night....at the poker table....

This old guy sits next to me and I immediately noticed his YG DJ on a jubilee....

After a couple of hands I could see that his date was set to the 28th....

So I mentioned it to him after complimenting his watch and he says...."Oh really....man my eyesight is so bad I havent been able to read that thing for over ten years....blah blah blah....I bought the watch 20 years ago."

Then I told him the story about the guy from the other night with the DD....

He then takes off his watch and hands it to me....lol

He said that the reason he likes it is because of how light it is....and he was right....compared to the DD it was about 3/4 to 1/2 the weight....

The same night I was sitting at another table and the guy to my left was wearing a GMT with black and red bezel....holes in the lugs....we talked a long time about Rolex....he said that he also owns an old plexi GMT from the early 70s that his father bought when he was born....his father had his name engraved on the caseback and when he graduated from high school his father gave it to him....he says that he keeps it locked up and never wears it....what a shame....