When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So Where Do We Go While Ziggy Is 'Resting'.

gregers

Experienced members whose views are respected frequently opine that The Zigmeister is the only watchsmith that they will trust to work on their reps. Now that he is taking a well deserved break what are we all going to do, particularly those of us who are not fortunate to be on 'his favoured' list.

Are members willing to share the names of other people that can be trusted to carry out competent work?

Without the knowledge that there are reliable and validated people out there who are willing to work on our reps in the various geographical regions, (EU in my case) it seems to me to be something of a risk to contemplate buying any of the more complex models that are available to us.

What to do?

It will take a bit a leg work but I'll bet you'll find a local watchsmith to repair your reps. Nobody knows our reps like Zig but any decent watchsmith can perform basic servicing to movements. Will it be a complete tear down like Zig does, probably not...but chances are there is someone in your home town that can get done what you need. Just be cool about it. Besides, with the state of the US economy, I would imagine watchsmiths would work on just about anything. (speaking of watchsmiths within the states of course). Of course mods are a different story.

I have to agree, not having 'Z' around presents a problem.

Even the best eta rep movements need servicing.

Paying 3-4-500.00 for a rep that quits working in 30 days isn't happening...oh yea, right...it IS happening.

There are other people on the forum that will accept service and modding work, and I suppose it is up to the individual to decide whether you can depend on their service , or not.

While it is true that in some large cities you might find a smith to work on a rep...getting the kind of service you get from a man like 'Z' is hard to find.

It would be great for a few competent RWG CONUS watchsmiths to take on some of The Zigmeister's workload, but I really don't see a lot of people stepping up.

Hmm will be interesting to see. Have several projects that I've managed to spend months tracking down parts for but I'm not sure that there is anyone else out there that can build them. Also leaves the question of lume. Anyone else out that with decent lume skills. I've assembled a decent collection of about 45 or 50 reps but I have a feeling that a lot of the ones that I bought with intentions of modding while probably lose their appeal and eventually be sold. Also have a few pieces such as my old factory Seawolfs and Avengers that I just simply wouldn't put in anyones hands for them to "practice" and "build their skills" on.

Guest avitt

For service, follow Bruce79's advice, and develop a relationship with a local watchsmith in your area. My advice is to do this in person, and not over the phone. Introduce yourself as a collector of genuine and very high quality replica watches (eta based), and explain that you are looking for someone to service your collection. (Once you have built a relationship, you can start slipping in your Asian movements.)

Your success will be almost entirely based on your approach....

For relume work, there is nobody better than Kent Parks at Everestwatchworks.com.

For service, follow Bruce79's advice, and develop a relationship with a local watchsmith in your area. My advice is to do this in person, and not over the phone. Introduce yourself as a collector of genuine and very high quality replica watches (eta based), and explain that you are looking for someone to service your collection. (Once you have built a relationship, you can start slipping in your Asian movements.)

Your success will be almost entirely based on your approach....

For relume work, there is nobody better than Kent Parks at Everestwatchworks.com.

I've had Kent do some work for me in the past, but didn't know that he works on reps. Is this the case?

Guest avitt
Hmm curious to hear as well. I've heard mention of Kent on a few occasions but am curious if he will do lume work on reps.

Search for "Kent Parks" here, and on the other boards, and I believe that your question will be answered.

Hmm will be interesting to see. Have several projects that I've managed to spend months tracking down parts for but I'm not sure that there is anyone else out there that can build them. Also leaves the question of lume. Anyone else out that with decent lume skills. I've assembled a decent collection of about 45 or 50 reps but I have a feeling that a lot of the ones that I bought with intentions of modding while probably lose their appeal and eventually be sold. Also have a few pieces such as my old factory Seawolfs and Avengers that I just simply wouldn't put in anyones hands for them to "practice" and "build their skills" on.

Good lord...40-50 reps...what the heck are you doing with that many watches...sell some to me.. :)

Good lord...40-50 reps...what the heck are you doing with that many watches...sell some to me.. :)

:D I look at it this way. I could have bought one or two more gens but I'm having alot more fun with all the reps. And well I never intended it to be 40 or 50. About half are PAM's and it blame it all on you guys. Harldy knew what the brand was before I found my way here.

Search for "Kent Parks" here, and on the other boards, and I believe that your question will be answered.

;) Thanks avitt.

is there a European The Zigmeister around?

That question has been asked many times over the years and to the best of my recollection no one has ever divulged the name of a reliable UK watchsmith who is happy to work on reps. That is not to say that they are not out there, but no one seems to be telling and that is a problem.

On our little Dutch GTG there seemed to be a ghost from The Zigmeister present, spending a lot of the weekend working on a few watches and reluming some hands... Can't remember his name but there is a European The Zigmeister ;)

On our little Dutch GTG there seemed to be a ghost from The Zigmeister present, spending a lot of the weekend working on a few watches and reluming some hands... Can't remember his name but there is a European The Zigmeister ;)

But soon he won't be European anymore :(

I too will not send my watches to anyone but The Zigmeister. I am very fortunate enough to be on his trusted list but after sending him over a dozen watches. I will agree that it would be worth while to await his return. It is very apparent that we all feel that he is an asset and his absence from the forum is a huge setback. He is a great man of integrity and expects members of the boards, dealers and modders to share in the same accumen. His return will rely heavily on how we all conduct ourselves and ensure that this hobby remains with some sense of integrity. His contributions to this forum is greater than just about anyone and I truly miss his presence here. I hope you come back soon Rob.

Guest avitt
I too will not send my watches to anyone but The Zigmeister. I am very fortunate enough to be on his trusted list but after sending him over a dozen watches. I will agree that it would be worth while to await his return. It is very apparent that we all feel that he is an asset and his absence from the forum is a huge setback. He is a great man of integrity and expects members of the boards, dealers and modders to share in the same accumen. His return will rely heavily on how we all conduct ourselves and ensure that this hobby remains with some sense of integrity. His contributions to this forum is greater than just about anyone and I truly miss his presence here. I hope you come back soon Rob.

Of course, for many members, waiting is the best choice. However, there is a large (and growing) group of member who either

• Aren't in The Zigmeister's inner circle
  • Are banned by The Zigmeister (for whatever reason), or
  • Won't do business with The Zigmeister (for whatever reason)

This thread is about finding alternative solutions for those members.