When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Safest shipping option from US to EU

truffe

About to ship a rep from US to EU.

After reading previous messages on the forum I reckon a brown padded envelope, registered airmail and NO mentioning of watch/watchparts is the safest option. I don't mind paying taxes or customs fees. My main objective is to get my hands on the watch.

- How do you people usually send these things successfully across the pond?

- Would it make any difference (not considering the cost) to declare the full value (~500) or just a fraction of it, say $50?

Thanks,

it's my first "expensive" rep, so I'd hate for it to get lost.

I wouldn't claim more than 20 usd... and declare it as a costume jewelry accessory "gift".. unless you want the reciever to pay full customs charges

the thing with reps .. it's a catch 22 of sorts.. you cannot insure it for 500 .. since you are declaring a small amount... and if you do insure it and it is lost .. how are you going to show proof of purchase ??

I realize it's risky using couriers like Fedex when shipping from US dealers to EU (blacklistings, etc).

Would using a courier like UPS or Fedex be much more risky than reg.airmail when a fellow member sends a watch to another member? (all other things being equal, i.e. no insurance, declared value, "horological parts returned to owner")

Well... I should say it really depends on which country in EU. They treat packages differently. Would you mind to be more specific?

UK - no problem.

France - no problem.

Germany and Netherlands - be careful.

Belgium + Lux - no problem.

Spain - be careful.

Italy - be careful.

Use reg airmail and don't insure it.

Put a value lower then 20 euro's on it , but i'm told that you can get fined for mail fraud if you get caught.

In the Netherlands you have to pay taxes and handling fee for package with a value higher then 20 euro's

A lot of couriers handle the customs declaring themselves . I know for shure that in the Netherlands they use black lists because i'm on it.

Carpe Diem

Cats

advice use register air mail

im sure someone mentioned making a dummy invoice for the repair of a watch, ie play it as if the watch was returned from the EU customer for repair, on inspection it was found to be in 100% working order, and returned without charge???

Dont know if thats 100% fool proof?

Guest Mr Jones

About to ship a rep from US to EU.

After reading previous messages on the forum I reckon a brown padded envelope, registered airmail and NO mentioning of watch/watchparts is the safest option. I don't mind paying taxes or customs fees. My main objective is to get my hands on the watch.

1. Standard if any shipments value is more than 50EUR [value of goods + shipping cost] EU customs will charge taxes. Next year will be more, they want up to 150EUR.

2. Next problem is 'replica' if they find that gods are replica they will destroyed it.

All depend which EU country you want send it, than maybe you have near perfect answer. Turkey, Island, Norway, Baltic country for me EU!=EU ???

Edited by Mr Jones