When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

OK to buy straps for replicas at authorized dealers?

client9

I hope this message receives all of you in good health.

I know it's a rule of the community to not go into an authorized dealer with a replica watch on, but is it OK to do so when buying straps for them? I ask this because I can't buy a strap without first seeing it on the watch. Any advice, tips, or tricks for handling this tricky situation is greatly appreciated.

client9

Edited by client9

Why would it be 'OK' to take your rep to an AD if you only want to buy a strap?..................

DO NOT take your rep to an AD... NO MATTER WHAT! Search pictures of the desired watch-strap combo (Ebay, Google, official websites, Timezone etc.) and decide which strap you want. Then place your order at an AD, again WITHOUT wearing the watch!! If you buy new car you also have to make most of your decisions (interior, rims etc. ) based on the pictures in the catalogue.

Or go to an AD and ask to see the gen watch and how it looks on a particular strap... this way you will see the combo without revealing your rep!

Why would it be 'OK' to take your rep to an AD if you only want to buy a strap?..................

Because rules sometimes need to be broken to accomplish a task. Also, assuming the AD didn't sell the same brand of watch, I figured they wouldn't care about selling you a strap for a fake they had no relation to.

Thank you, Rolexman.

Edited by client9

I hope this message receives all of you in good health.

I know it's a rule of the community to not go into an authorized dealer with a replica watch on, but is it OK to do so when buying straps for them? I ask this because I can't buy a strap without first seeing it on the watch. Any advice, tips, or tricks for handling this tricky situation is greatly appreciated.

client9

Hey,

i just want to refer to this guy http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=74955

he has picture with one of the strap on and it is in wery good quality i have one my selfe! It get better the more you wear it, after wearing it for a while if you wash it and dry it i will look like new again. the whole strap is made in qinuwine leather too, they are really greate!

/N

There is nothing wrong with buying a genuine strap from an AD. However, you will likely pay as much for the strap as the replica cost you and some will insist on installing it for you. I have installed a gen alligator Pam strap on my watch and it makes a great difference in appearance. A quality strap either gen or aftermarket will give your replica a far more convincing look than the rep straps.

Because rules sometimes need to be broken to accomplish a task. Also, assuming the AD didn't sell the same brand of watch, I figured they wouldn't care about selling you a strap for a fake they had no relation to.

Thank you, Rolexman.

In some situations yes, but not in relation to replica's, common sense should prevail here. If you take a rep into an AD to buy a strap, it will go down like a lead balloon. My advice would be to buy it over the internet, if you want to see it on the watch first, buy a very cheap strap that is of similar colour, or have a look at some pictures on here, I'm sure the combination you are after would have been covered somewhere, hope this is of help.

I agree on principle.... it should be avoided.

but here in NYC the AD's are mostly morons who know NOTHING about watches and defer to old catalogs when asked a question. I was called out once "on a rep"in kenjo in midtown.

I was wearing a GEN pam 176 with a $400 handmade ammo strap. The strap was suspicious he said. I just laughed at the guy.

DO NOT take your rep to an AD... NO MATTER WHAT! Search pictures of the desired watch-strap combo (Ebay, Google, official websites, Timezone etc.) and decide which strap you want. Then place your order at an AD, again WITHOUT wearing the watch!! If you buy new car you also have to make most of your decisions (interior, rims etc. ) based on the pictures in the catalogue.

Or go to an AD and ask to see the gen watch and how it looks on a particular strap... this way you will see the combo without revealing your rep!

NO. Do NOT do this.

Instead, do this:

1) Search online for what look you want.

2) Measure your watch to determine the appropriate strap width.

3) Proceed to AD with measurements and photo of gen... then make your purchase after ensuring they match and will most likely fit.

4) Take rep watch and new gen strap to servicing booth at SEARS or your country's equivalent, and get them swapped.

Well, i talk from personal experience. It were times before finding this forum, i'd brought my cheap quartz breitling chronomt rep to ad and bought a gen strap, they put it on. I dont know if they noticed its a rep but i had no problems.

But i also dont suggest bringing a rep to AD, just go in and buy the strap alone (if they say they cant do it without seeing the watch and you say " you wanna sell the strap or not?here is the money" ;) ..btw dont bring a photo of your watch lol :D , just tell them the measurements

When I bought a Omega leather strap for my Gen Speedmaster at an AD I just told them I needed one and they showed me what they had, they did offer to do the installation for free but I didn't have the watch at the moment so I did it myself when I got home, no need to have a watch strapped on your wrist. That was about 2 years ago. I guess it depends on the AD, some are far more anal than others, asking for it as a gift for someone else is the best way to go.

Thank you, Rolexman.

If they aren't an AD for the brand then they aren't likely to be able to get you a strap for it.