When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sea-Dweller Bezel - Gen vs. SSDv1 vs. SSDv2

JohnG

I recently confirmed, with the help of several members, that my new SSD from Ruby is the "v2" or 2nd version with the "thicker" bezel (not actually thicker as discovered by Tribal - but rather machined differently so that it sits slightly higher on the case).

As a result of my curiosity about my bezel version, I had studied a lot of pics of the old and new SSD bezels. So I was very disappointed when I discovered, while browsing on The Rolex Forums, the following pics of a gen SD bezel. It is clear that even the new bezel leaves a lot to be desired.

I have made a composite below of close-up side lateral views of the bezel of a gen SD, the SSDv1 (from BK's new case/bezel offering comparing the old and new bezels) and my own SSDv2.

One of the distinguishing features of the new bezel is that the tooth cut terminates about half way down the vertical lateral face of the bezel. This, I had thought, made the bezel appear thicker (in addition to the difference in the machining that causes the v2 bezel to sit higher on the case - according to both BK and Tribal). But when I saw a close up side view of the gen bezel I realized that the lower termination of the tooth cut is actually much closer to the old v1. I have placed red lines on the composite so that you can easily see how far down the face each tooth cut ends on the various watches.

I also noticed that the peak between each tooth is narrower on the gen but is more closely matched by the v2.

Here is the comparison:

SSDcomp.jpg

To me the solution is a tooth cut that is slightly more vertical but does not remove more material at the top of the cut - only at the bottom of the cut. This would give the tooth a lower termination and a narrower peak between cuts. Additionally it would give a more symmetrical penetration of the cut into the bezel material - the gen appears to have about the same penetration at the rim of the bezel as at the vertical flat. The v2 appears cut appears to have a more conical geometry...

And I guess the obvious question at this point is, am I being way too anal about a watch that has a huge (and equally un-modable) rehaut thickness problem? Perhaps, but I am interested not just in the problems that can be fixed (and which I may never fix anyway) but rather in the features that distinguish the watch from the gen. Even if I don't intend to or can't fix certain flaws, I still like to know what they are.

I imagine the SSD bezel issue has been talked to death already but I thought I ought to contribute something once in a while instead of just make wise-cracks.

The V2 bezel looks too large a diameter OD. It overhangs the case.

The points on the genuine bezel are smaller, the rep appears more blunt.

The SEL on the rep look bad.

The rep bezel appears thicker than gen.

Nice rep, but I am with DuDro and I will let him buy me a gen too. :)

Thanks for the comparison shots. This was a great read.

The V2 bezel looks too large a diameter OD. It overhangs the case.

Yeah, this is another problem I read about but didn't notice it in these shots until you mentioned it...

The points on the genuine bezel are smaller, the rep appears more blunt.

Yeah, that's what I meant by the "peaks" between the teeth being to large - I didn't know what you call them.

The SEL on the rep look bad.

Jeez, anything else? That is MY SSD by the way... :(

The rep bezel appears thicker than gen.

Anybody want to buy a month-old SSDv2?

Nice rep, but I am with DuDro and I will let him buy me a gen too. :)

Can't afford that - think I will just go back to LLBean watches.

Here is another between that same gen and my SSDv2. I tried to get the photo from the same angle since it is a good shot of the bezel teeth on the gen:

SSDcomp2.jpg

What the hell... :blink:

At first all buyers were crying, because the bezel is too thin - and now it is too thick! :rofl:

Now it looks just funny...

IMO It's better to save the money for gen bezel-insert and/or crown and tube, 'cause you never will get a correct looking SD without investing a lot of money!!!

I am happy with my sale of the SSD, this model is unaccurate in so many points! And low in quality, also! Let's wait up to see more details from the new MBK SD's, maybe they are better...

Guest acg2010

Yep, "well built" or not, it's a rep, and thus should be as accurate as possible to achieve its goal of repping the gen.

I've always thought that the bottom part of the bezel on the gen is thicker than the rep... It seems as though they should've kept the V1 top and thickened the section that sits on the case...and while they were at it, shrink the diameter so it doesn't hang over the case...

It's too bad, because the noob factory does such a damn good job on the Sub...aside from rehaut depth...which is much less noticeable than an overhanging bezel, or a goofy height crystal...the SSD doesn't really compete imo.

I don`t get it.

Is it possible that there are 2 versions of the SSD V2 ?

Look at BKs pic that he showed in his thread in the other forum.

Endlinks look good and the bottom of the bezel does NOT overlap the case.

2008-05-22008.jpg

that is a decieving picture... looking at the obviousness of the etched crown on the xtal, I assume that is a ssd? the xtal on the ssd, and its beveled edge, hides the flat portion of the rehaut.. at least I think so..

bezel is set down deep in the bezel though... gen bezel maybe?

looks good, nice pic too..

I don`t get it.

Is it possible that there are 2 versions of the SSD V2 ?

Look at BKs pic that he showed in his thread in the other forum.

Endlinks look good and the bottom of the bezel does NOT overlap the case.

The overlap in my photo is WAY exaggerated. It is an optical effect because the case was reflecting something dark just under the bezel making it look like a shadow. The bezel overlap looks just like BK's in similar lighting.

The endlinks? - luck of the draw I think.

bezel is set down deep in the bezel though... gen bezel maybe?

The insert on mine came somewhat recessed - if you run your nail over it it is definitely below the lip of the bezel. Perhaps this is common to all v2's?

ssd2-1.jpg

Picking angles and lighting my SSD looks a lot nicer in this shot I think. And on my wrist it is even harder to see the defects. I remember when I got it (this was my first rep - got my second today) thinking, "THAT is what people are so upset about?", as I looked at the pearl. From more than a foot away you can barely even see it - it's TINY!

I like knowing what's wrong with the watch but I don't expect to bump into anyone who could call it out even just as it is. I saw some guys in the Rolex Forums oohing over a sub-based SD rep (in an article on counterfeits a thread was linking to), saying, "it is SCARY how good these are getting!" It was a crappy rep by SSD standards but they thought it was pretty good - they saw SOME of the flaws but missed stuff like the crown guards!!!

I am not too worried. And I don't plan on lying when people ask me anyway...

imo the problem is crystal, not the bezel. v1 has better bezel but crystal too high. and in 2nd version they tried to cover that flaw by making the bezel little thicker and bezel insert angle higher so it gives more thicker look.From what i see from pics v2 bezel looks thicker than gen. If we can change the crystal of v1 it would be the closest, what do you think?

Here you see a V1 in comparsion to a gen after I modded the CG's and install a gen inlay. But there are still big failures on it:

9030bb57.jpg

Also,

- crystal is too high (thats because the gen inlays are flater than the rep ones, and normally the crystal came more out!)

- crystal has a too conical shape, thats a dead giveaway for the rehaut

- good shine of the steel like gen, but you get scraches on the case only by looking at the watch :)

- and the bracelet was also pure, material and finish; maybe that gets better...

Here you see a V1 in comparsion to a gen after I modded the CG's and install a gen inlay. But there are still big failures on it:

the ssd2 is a rep of seadweller 4000 that has a different genuine insert than the previous model (look at 4)

rolex_seadweller_01.jpg

i suppose than also the other details have to be compared to this version

Edited by pugliesotto

the ssd2 is a rep of seadweller 4000 that has a different genuine insert than the previous model (look at 4)

i suppose than also the other details have to be compared to this version

I don't know what you mean, but if I think that you mean what I thought, then you misunderstand my thought... :lol: