When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Movement/Case Back Comparison

UncleJay

DSN vs GEN vs iOffer

Thought this would make for a good comparison. Used my DSN Swiss ETA 5218-210/A, a $250 5218-205 I bought on iOffer a while back, and a Gen case back.

The DSN and iOffer have similar engraving quality, but the iOffer has better paint and lasts longer.

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

Here are the DSN, GEN, and iOffer compared from the inside and out. I think pictures speak louder than words here.

DSC_0014.jpg

adsn6.jpg

The Swiss ETA in DSN's offering vs the unknown movement in the iOffer watch. Can someone please verify that the DSN is a Swiss movement and maybe help identify the iOffer's heritage?

adsn1.jpg

adsn4.jpg

Here's a pic of the CG side of the DSN. It better shows the crown centering problems of late.

adsn7.jpg

Here's a comparison of my GEN 195 (top) and the 210/A. Please note the the CG on the 210/A is meant to be a Pre-V hence the thinker CG.

210-195a.jpg

The infamous case "notch" being found on recent DSN offerings/

210-a.jpg

Finally, DSN 210 vs GEN 210. I was impressed with the watch. All in all a very nice watch, with only the notch and stripped lugs really bothering me.

210.jpg

_16.jpg

Here are two GEN cases for any comparisons you may want to make on your own. I've included a HW and Auto for you guys.

Nikon034.jpg

Nikon033.jpg

Please let me know via PM if you have any questions or would like any other pics of any of my watches. I'll try to help as best I can. Best of luck to all and happy hunting.

Jay, that iOffer movement is Swiss, too. It's just using the cheaper Novodiac anti-shock system, instead of the Incabloc.

The crown centering problem isn't a recent phenomenon with DSN. My 010D from DSN uses the exact same case, and I bought it almost a year ago.

BTW, it's been perfect out of the box since day 1. I'm one of the lucky ones, evidently.

OMG. Who TF is this guy and where does all that good stuff come from? :drool: :drool: :cryss::cry:

Uncle Jay, how can you put up with all that rep problems when you have your drawers full of gen parts?

Good question UJ. If you're not a purist why do you buy Davidsen's tripe when you have loads of stuff to build your own frankens, instead of becoming another of DSN's victims?

I am also puzzled by the total absence of any reaction from the rabid 'rep bashers' at Paneristi when thier ex-moderator has suddenly become a rep enthusiast. How come you are still welcomed over there when the rest of us would get tarred and feathered?

I am also puzzled by the total absence of any reaction from the rabid 'rep bashers' at Paneristi when thier ex-moderator has suddenly become a rep enthusiast. How come you are still welcomed over there when the rest of us would get tarred and feathered?

Probably because Jay is OG, and a good guy. Some Johnny-Come-Lately can't really flame one of the pioneers of the 'Risti online community and get away with it, can he? ;)

Good question UJ. If you're not a purist why do you buy Davidsen's tripe when you have loads of stuff to build your own frankens, instead of becoming another of DSN's victims?

Funny, about the only parts I didn't have are what DSN does....Pre-V. I thought his stuff looks good so I'd get a few for beaters. Once a victim, I felt it an obligation to spread the word and help the community. BTW, when I say community I mean ALL. We share a passion for watches and that bonds uf as a community. I have been made to feel at home here as I was at 'Risti and TZ. I think this hobby/passion is to bring us joy be it in the form of a $20,000 gen, $400 rep, or $200 gen.

I'm an ex-mod by the hand of the second owner of 'Risti, Dr. Admin Mao. The Dr. found it necessary to let me go when he combined 'Risti and his other site The Purist. I gave up my mod gig at TZ because I was very busy at work and couldn't find the time. I post on TZ and 'Risti from time to time but would never post about reps. I keep my home lives seperate from eachother. Why am I not tarred and feathered by this place knowing who I am? Hell, I didn't even bother to get a different screen name, because I D G A S. I'm sure there are those who know I'm hear and talk is going on, but that just gives them one more thing to worry about everyday. My biggest problem is when are they going to make an EOD with the seconds @ 12 so I can flip my gen? Besides, I'm sure you guys "got my back" if they ever do come to tar and feather me.

...My biggest problem is when are they going to make an EOD with the seconds @ 12 so I can flip my gen? Besides, I'm sure you guys "got my back" if they ever do come to tar and feather me.

Rumor has it that particular new rep is coming soon, Jay. I won't hold my breath, but it is just a matter of time.

If the movement proves to be less of a timebomb than the seconds at 6 A7750, I'll be all over an MBW EOD with seconds at 12. ;)

Funny, about the only parts I didn't have are what DSN does....Pre-V. I thought his stuff looks good so I'd get a few for beaters. Once a victim, I felt it an obligation to spread the word and help the community. BTW, when I say community I mean ALL. We share a passion for watches and that bonds uf as a community. I have been made to feel at home here as I was at 'Risti and TZ. I think this hobby/passion is to bring us joy be it in the form of a $20,000 gen, $400 rep, or $200 gen.

I'm an ex-mod by the hand of the second owner of 'Risti, Dr. Admin Mao. The Dr. found it necessary to let me go when he combined 'Risti and his other site The Purist. I gave up my mod gig at TZ because I was very busy at work and couldn't find the time. I post on TZ and 'Risti from time to time but would never post about reps. I keep my home lives seperate from eachother. Why am I not tarred and feathered by this place knowing who I am? Hell, I didn't even bother to get a different screen name, because I D G A S. I'm sure there are those who know I'm hear and talk is going on, but that just gives them one more thing to worry about everyday. My biggest problem is when are they going to make an EOD with the seconds @ 12 so I can flip my gen? Besides, I'm sure you guys "got my back" if they ever do come to tar and feather me.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Well Jay - you have learnt your DSN lesson the way many of us have ....the hard way.....IMHO it's part of the journey ....all that glitters is clearly not gold and you have to find that out for yourself sometimes.

I only have one DSN watch (1st edition 082) remaining in my collection and it's had work done- it's always ran fine for since day one but that's more down to ETA than DSN.

He has always been "hit and miss" but it seems he no longer GAF about what he sends out - used be that all his watches were tested , QC'd by himself before shipping - seems like his eyesight or standards have gone out the window.

I still find DSN handy for parts and will continue to do so but he no longer deserves the "legendary status" some have accorded him.

This place is aching for another Jimmyz Fu to push the hobby on - 1:1 case sets , crowns , CG's and of course dials and hands.

We'll just have to wait and hope for a new legend.

FGD

:fish:

UJ how many gen pams do you have?! ........................................You have spare gen cases like I have spare socks. :lol:

I have a few, been collecting for a while. :mellow: Ohhhhhhhh, Socks! Wheew! Had to read that one again. :rolleyes:

You know what, if they're over here, they're over here for a reason too.

Learning a lot from you though, love reading your posts.

I'm really glad that some are enjoying my posts, I hope they are making a contribution here. Hey, I've learned here myself. Gen collectors know the watch from the outside, you guys know them from the insideout.