When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wrapped vs plated in Daydate

triosLescano

I am very intrested to buy a good Daydate

Watchmaker9 claims to have a wrapped good Daydate for $ 572.99 In photo this watch is very nice

My inquiry is: Is this watch really more detailed and best than standard Daydate reps $ 235 from Trusty, Perfect-Clones ecc...? Has it a correct value for money ?

links

http://watchmaker9.tv/products/rolex_daydate_118205PR.htm

http://www.pc-80108.com/rlddr10011-osyter-...362-p-3234.html

I would tell you to contact KING (kingwatch) and tell her exactly what you want. She can put together for you the dial, bezel, bracelet combination you are looking for. I think she offers solid gold versions if you want to splurge. In terms of plated gold types tell her you want WRAPPED 18K not plated. It will last far longer.

That watch is not worth $579. It is most likely the same watch you can buy from our dealers for around $200. I have bought several from Andrew and the plating has always been very good and has never faded. Wrapped is just a made up term in the industry although some watches can have thicker plating.

I also reccomend King or Ruby. Either can find you what you want.

I am very intrested to buy a good Daydate

Watchmaker9 claims to have a wrapped good Daydate for $ 572.99 In photo this watch is very nice

My inquiry is: Is this watch really more detailed and best than standard Daydate reps $ 235 from Trusty, Perfect-Clones ecc...? Has it a correct value for money ?

links

http://watchmaker9.tv/products/rolex_daydate_118205PR.htm

http://www.pc-80108.com/rlddr10011-osyter-...362-p-3234.html

That watchmaker-9 is overpricing everything way too much ($375.99 for a Date-Just!?!?) and is using the usual scammer lingo, there's no such thing as a "Swiss-Made rep"... EVER!

Stick with the trusted dealers, for Day-Dates and Date-Just Ruby is the dealer to go, her specialty are those two, she can have one custom made for you with the dial you want, type of bracelet, gold color, etc. Shoot her an email! Oh, and BTW her prices are less than $220 for a FG Date-Just or Day-Date. Beats the hell out of $572 doesn't it? Plus Ruby inspects the watch before sending it to you and actually sends you pics of the watch you're getting! :D

9 out of 10 times, the term 'goldwrap' is used for gold plate, which is incorrect, an example of wrapped gold:

img0195ok4.th.jpg

Apart from the durability, the wrapped gold also has problems, gold quality very low and mixed with materials which can oxidize(?). the folowing pic shows what eurotimez also showed us, when scratched, the scratch turns black:

img0197eb4.th.jpg

I dont think this method is possible on complex shapes like a watchcase. Most likely its some sort of gold plating. I still have to find a dealer who can explain to me what exactly is the difference between 'thick gold plate' and 'tripple wrapped'.

I bought a plated gold datejust for my wife. Its nice but the plating on the bracelet is only on the surface...the sides of the "gold" links are NOT plated. If you look at the pics on Andrews site of gold wrapped you can see that the gold is all the way around each link. Wrapping will be typically thicker than plating so hopefully more durable.

Much has been written about the gold issue and the types of gold offered on our reps. The consensus is that gold wrap can only be applied to flat surfaces and not complex shapes such as a watch case. In the case of the Day/Date, the links of the bracelet are likely wrapped while the case and case parts are simply plated. Plating is usually very thin (3 to 5 microns) and the 14k gold will be more durable than 18k because the allloy is harder.

My suggestion is to get the Day-Date and wear it on special occasions only, yellow or rose gold is nice to wear at night or formal events; for every day usage get a nice SS watch, or WG plated, a Two Tone is also a good choice.

You could also have the watch PVD coated in yellow or rose gold, it will wear like iron, but I don't know how much it costs or how do you remove the plating first from the case and crown... Or you could buy a SS DD get it PVD coated in gold and swap the dial with a genuine in YG (they go for around $200-400 on the Bay). The possibilities are endless.