When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Planet Ocean for a new guy

downtown

I'm new to the rep world. as of right now I don't own any. just a $150 nixon, so I have a few questions to all of you folks:

1. If i'm completely new to the watch world, does it REALLY matter what kind of movement i get? asian or eta?

2. All i really want is a Planet Ocean 42 mm on ss bracelet. From what i've seen the "UPO" is the best out there, but i'm afraid it would look too big on my 7" wrist. I'm on a budget and don't really care if the lume or the ar coating looks 'perfect' but i would be concerned about the bracelet (if there really is a big gap on the 4th generation 42).---- should i just get the UPO because its more-or-less perfect, or should i get the 42 (which is what i really want)? I realize there are modifications i could do to it, but i'm not experienced nor comfortable about sending it away. basically wearing it out of the box.

3. how long do these things last, could i wear them in the shower?

4. am i just better off getting a nice timex quartz for the same price? i'd prefer a nice watch, as i don't really have much. just a hefty tuition and would like to do something nice for myself. I really only want to spent 300 MAX on a watch.

to be honest, a couple of wrist-shots with a upo and a 42mm would be awesome, just so i could see the overall size difference. the quality of the upo is pretty tempting, but it'd probably look ridiculous on me.

Welcome.

To be honest i did not find the 45mm PO to be that big, and i have a 7 1/2 inch wrist, the bracelet makes it heavy though, as long as the back is on tight and the crown is screwed down it should be fine in a shower but you would be better getting it checked first at you local mall watch battery change place. If you had a swiss movement and it was serviced it would last as long as you live (if serviced regualy) but that said asians can last a looooong time too. If you want a nice watch but dont want to spend a lot of cash the keep reading all the info is right here!

imho 42mm PO looks better than the bigger one, Ive tried both and got myself 42mm. Over a year of almost everyday wear, rain, shower, absolutely no problem. Works just fine. Although the pearl is lost, but besides that, everything is as it was when I got it :)

Cheers,

Kuba

I'd say go into an AD, and try them both on. But not at the same time. If you do, the 45mm will appear huge in comparison to the 42mm. However, if you look at the 45mm on its own, I don't think you'll find the size an issue. With regard your other points, I've never had problems with Asian movements (other than ones I caused myself, by trying to regulate them) or with issues of water-resistance, so I don't think you'll have a problem. The Planet Ocean is a really nice watch, and one definitely worth owning :) Best of luck :)

So i've been doing a lot of reading. Realized that paying 278 for an ETA might not be the best idea. HOWEVER, i do want the 4th generation watch but with an asian movement. can anyone pm me where i might be able to find such a thing? there's a model on trusty time for 118 bux but the watch itself doesn't look nearly as good as the 4th gen.

how much trouble would i have getting this thing into canada?

You will have no problems at all getting the watch in to Canada. I'm in Toronto and never had an issue, and in all my years on the boards have never heard of a problem with Canadian customs.