When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cigar Help, Kinda Urgent!

cypher

Hi everyone!

I'm hoping people here smoke cigars cause I need some questions answered

My brother is getting married in a three weeks to an Indian girl in India , and he wanted me to pick up around a 150-200 cigars from here (the US) as they are much cheaper here. The thing is I dont know too much about cigars and was going to pick up some sampler packs. The cigars would be for the guests to smoke during the 5 day event.

I've been reading up on cigars and seem to have found some decent deals but since I'm a complete noob I need some feed back. Here are some that I think seem like a good deal...

75 Ct. Sampler Galore! $167 so about 2.25 per stick

5 Padron Diplomatico

5 Macanudo Trump

5 Partagas Spanish Rosada Perfecto

5 Royal Jamaica

5 Macanudo Portofino

5 La Gloria Escuela

5 Bolivar Toro

5 Macanudo Prince Phillip

5 Partagas Black Magnifico

5 Bolivar Churchill

5 Partagas Black Label Piramide

5 Partagas No. 1

5 Bolivar Lonsdale

5 Padron Torpedo

5 Macanudo 8-9-8

http://factorydirectcigars.com/index...1D058EE6DE4D64

20ct Super Summer Sampler $39.99

1 - Romeo y Julieta 1875 Toro (6

How about Dutch Masters and Philly blunts?

J/K. I like Arturo Fuente, Partagas, Cohiba, Romeo y Julieta, Davidoff. I would venture to guess that most people aren't regular cigar smokers and wouldn't know the difference. I would suggest an assortment of mild cigars. This will be easiest for most people to smoke. I like Arturo Fuente 858 because of the smaller size. They don't burn as long as a churchill although a mixture of sizes including churchill and torpeos would be good so people can choose what they feel comfortable with.

A cigar to me is a very personal choice so you won't be able to please everybody but also keep in mind many people will be smoking just for the occasion so be sure to get mid smokes everyone can enjoy. I'm sure any salesman at a respectabvle smoke shop can help you decide.

Well here is what I can tell you as far as getting cigars for a large crowd.

1.) 98% of the people who take one and smoke it have no clue if they are smoking a $20.00 cigar or a $.50 cigar.

2.) Of that 98% probably about 50% or so will lite it up, smoke not even half of it, then throw it away.

For bigger events I usually get enough for everyone in one type, something in the $2-$3 each range. Then I get a handfull of better cigars to give to the people who I know will enjoy it and not just lite up, snuff, and toss away a $20.00 stick.

One question though, going from US to India would there not be any customs problems trying to transport 200 cigars???

When I smoke, which is not often, I tend to go with the Arturo Fuente Opus X which is very rare and very expensive. Like the others stated, most people won't have any idea what they are smoking especially when drinking is involved. I would go with option #1, get 2 of them and you should be good.

One question though, going from US to India would there not be any customs problems trying to transport 200 cigars???

Very much so.

If you're going to India yourself, can you get the cigars duty free before getting on the plane? If you're not, you're risking them getting confiscated or having Indian duty added to them.

Rocky Patel and Don Pepin .. are the best smokes on your list ... but these will only be appreciated by smokers with experienced palates

The Padrons are also very good vitolas.. but again wasted on the inexperienced

Forget Cohiba... Bolivar .. Monte's .. outside of Cuba. the Dominican leaf is just not happening... they are too pricey for what you get

Now LD knows his smokes Fuente Opux X.. the only stick outside of Cuba with "aging" power.. i have some aged 9 year olds... they are euphoric.... but fresh they sell for 25 to 40 usd per stick..

Macanudos are for beginning novice.. weak .. very mild .. but too pricey

if there are inlaws you want to impress.. Rocky Patel and Don Pepin .. La Gloria Cubana is very good also.. all these are Full Flavoured

otherwise ..Go to JR Tobacco and get whatever is on Special..or Factory Seconds.. if these people are not avid Cigar Afficianados.. they will not care.. probably not even finish let alone nub any stick..

as for Customs.. nigaraguan tobaco can come to the US.. but cannot go back to Nicaragua for the US..check with Fed ex or Ups regarding tobaco shipments.. may be easier to ship it beore you leave for there.. I've read their laws.. but only pertaining to recieving cigars in the US..

jdkno is right.

I hate when I pick up a bunch of cigars for a group and only 1 of 20 is actually smoked or even noticed. When someone smolders a $15.00 plus cigar, it kind of makes you think next time. So, I wouldn't pick up anything expensive. You can buy relatively cheap cigars that even the novice would think is great.

Great recognizable cigars...some expensive, some very affordable:

Nat Sherman - The Hunter was my first cigar ever...many moons ago...cheap and smooth.

Zino - classic is a good easy smoke

Partagas - some can be expensive, so check prices.

Macanudo - Even most newbies have heard of Macanudo...so they may think it's really great.

If you have no idea what to look for, just choose a light leaf...any of the dark leaf cigars could potentially choke a newbie out...or give them that "stink face" that will make them just drop it in the ash tray. This is not always the case, but if you don't know, then try this by sight.

Also, look for the ROBUSTO or 5 x 50 size. Not too much for the novice.

The number #1 selection is a perfectly good selection with some mid-range respected names and also some mild cigars, and at $2.00 + a stick you can't go wrong. So go with 2 #1 samplers, plus one other higher end selection for the more knowledgeable smokers in the group.

Rogerwine

Thanks for hte help fellas! Some aspects that I hadnt thought about have been made clear. Lost of people have been recommending Macanudeo, Romeo and Julieta and Arturo Fuente also. Still reading up and doing research and I'll let you know what I decide on.