When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How accurate is this DSN 009 PVD?

chico85

He just sent me pics of watch that I will receive supposedly. Please tell me how accurate it is. Is there anything obvious that a person with moderate knowledge of Panerais can spot quickly that it's rep? Last pic is a preA 009 Gen for reference. Thank you in advance for your help.

DSN 009 PVD

post-12123-1213143422_thumb.jpg

post-12123-1213143438_thumb.jpg

post-12123-1213143460_thumb.jpg

Pre-A 009

post-12123-1213143471_thumb.jpg

DSN 009 PVD

post-12123-1213143422_thumb.jpg

That looks pretty nice IMO. The only thing is that its hard to see where the crown meets the case. Given the recent issue highlighted in another post I would ask for another picture to ensure there is no cut out. If thats ok I'd go for it. DSN's PVD is pretty sweet and I have no issues with my 195.

Let us know how it goes.

ST4

That looks pretty nice IMO. The only thing is that its hard to see where the crown meets the case. Given the recent issue highlighted in another post I would ask for another picture to ensure there is no cut out. If thats ok I'd go for it. DSN's PVD is pretty sweet and I have no issues with my 195.

Let us know how it goes.

ST4

Thank you for the heads up. DSN has just asked me if I would accept a notched case which I refuse. He stated that he would change to a new case if I wouldn't accept and send me new pics next week. . This issue has degraded his reputation fast but it seems he's aware of situation and trying to rectify. Lucky me for being indecisive, otherwise I would have been one of his growing group of unhappy clients.

@ Peep: He's got the only Pre-A and Pre-V pieces. That's why he needs to step up a bit.

@ Chad: The dial isn't THAT bad. It's a Pre-V numbered dial with Pre-A markings. It's inaccurate, butI can live with that.

@ Chico: I would have been a HAPPY man if ANY of my 5 looked that good, best of luck.

You can see for yourself that the PANERAI font is totally wrong while the LUMINOR is OK. The 6 & 9 should be the quirky preV / preA shape but aren't - the PANERAI bit would bug me most. The caseack has the correct numbers for a preA but the whole of the engraving is just too big - however the most annoying thing is that his casebacks are thin and tinny compared to the regular rep which is the same as the gen. The regular rep caseback is comaprable to a gen in terms of weight and pattern of engraving but a preA version isn't available. DSN's CGs are not the correct shape for a preA which should be the smaller, thinner style, like a regular rep.

If you can persuade DSN to use a regular cartel type case and CG, add his own latest sprung crown and tube and get that PVD'd before fitting his dial / movement and caseback you will have the best package. His recent cases are tripe.

Good luck - you will need lots of it. Best option is buy the preA bits from him (dial & caseback) together with his crown & tube and get The Zigmeister to build you a preA using a Swiss cartel as a donor. Then you will have a proper watch and will have some bits to sell.

@ Peep: He's got the only Pre-A and Pre-V pieces. That's why he needs to step up a bit...

I know, Jay. My reply was meant to be a little tongue-in-cheek. ;) To borrow a phrase from Lee Iacocca back when he was running Chrysler "If you can find a better one for cheaper, buy it."

Unfortunately the fact that he *is* the only game in town is one of the things that is enabling him to NOT step up his game.

I thought that the Pre-A dials used the fat, engraved markings like the Pre-V but had the "T-Swiss-T" below six. Evidently I'm wrong?

I thought that the Pre-A dials used the fat, engraved markings like the Pre-V but had the "T-Swiss-T" below six. Evidently I'm wrong?

You are correct. Pre-A dials did use the 'fat', engraved markings like the Pre-V but had the "T-Swiss-T" below the six (see my post above). DSN's preV (201A etc) dial is engraved with slightly too fat markers and the wrong shape 6 & 9. It's hard to tell from these photos if this preA dial is using the engraved base or DSN's earlier sandwich construction. However, I think that it is the sandwich because his engraved base has all markers slightly too thick and this one looks OK as far as thickness is concerned. The preV and preA dials had 'fat' markers but not as fat as Davidsen made his.

@peepshow - "Unfortunately the fact that he *is* the only game in town is one of the things that is enabling him to NOT step up his game"

The main thing that allows him to persist in not upping his game is the continued support of members who post along the lines of;

"Look at my great watch from Davidsen - Thanks for the great service and the pics that you sent first (not my watch unfortunately but he must have got mixed up) - just a few niggles which I'm sure he'll sort out (ruddy big hole in the case, stem too high, crownguard is poorly finished, smudge inside the crystal, blah, blah, blah). Overall I am very well pleased and I'm confident that it will be sorted. Davidsen's a hero. Thanks again."

This is the sort of bloody nonsense that allows him to screw us all with impunity. For some inexplicable reason DSN is a protected species

Edited by PAMman

PAM, I'm 99% sure that the pics posted in the OP are DSN's engraved dial. 6 and 9 are still off, and I won't even get started on the different fonts used for "Luminor" and "Panerai", 'cause it just doesn't make a lick of sense to me. ;) However, I agree, the thickness of the engraving looks good.

as discuss for years...he should just buy 1 gen ...rep the best dial for 111h sandwich dial ..and rep it accurately ...

his increasing his price...but workmanship i heard really bad...they can do the best complicated HBB ...but why not a PAM ?? ...because ......

PAM, I'm 99% sure that the pics posted in the OP are DSN's engraved dial. 6 and 9 are still off, and I won't even get started on the different fonts used for "Luminor" and "Panerai", 'cause it just doesn't make a lick of sense to me. ;) However, I agree, the thickness of the engraving looks good.

The thickness of the 'engraving' DOES look good. It's 100% spot-on. That alone makes me think that it's the earlier sandwich because his engraved preV version is too thick. There's 201A and 203A pics on the board to compare.

With DSN it's like playing a one-arm-bandit slot machine - he just never gets all the ducks in a row. He is an infuriating b*ll*cks. He prints the LUMINOR correctly just to prove that he can, then picks another, wholly incorrect font for PANERAI. The bloody man is perverse.

I dunno... He's done some things pretty well...

IMG_3162.jpg

Apparently, this dial is a DSN or at least of the same originating source that he uses. I picked this up from a source that was not DSN, and I had no idea what the provenance was exactly (a few of my more PAM literate friends were unsure as well). After posting on the forum, there was mixed consensus and no clear answers until someone with the same dial in their DSN PAM10 posted a pic of their watch

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...mp;#entry437860

I don't believe he offers this dial any longer... Odd that the ones that are done right are discontinued or limited in volume...

I dunno... He's done some things pretty well...

IMG_3162.jpg

Apparently, this dial is a DSN or at least of the same originating source that he uses. I picked this up from a source that was not DSN, and I had no idea what the provenance was exactly (a few of my more PAM literate friends were unsure as well). After posting on the forum, there was mixed consensus and no clear answers until someone with the same dial in their DSN PAM10 posted a pic of their watch

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...mp;#entry437860

I don't believe he offers this dial any longer... Odd that the ones that are done right are discontinued or limited in volume...

I agree absolutely - that 010 / 114 dial was his finest hour. However you will find that it was collaboration with a member of this board that made it what it was and for some perverse reason it

PAM,

I'm 100% that dial is his engraved dial, not a sandwich. Not sure if this is the next "version" or not? Regardless, if the 6 and 9 were fixed on that one, I'd order about 3 dials today. Why, oh why, can't he get it right? He's done the hardest bit already, just needs to tweek the 6/9 shape.

I've got a 010D using the dial shown above. It's getting ready for a transplant into a "standard" rep case, already has a Palp crown. It's a keeper!

DSCF1328.jpg

Edited by peepshow

quote name='peepshow' date='Jun 11 2008, 02:11 PM' post='467232']

Im sure DSN has a nice gen collection of PAM's... in last 10 years he's sold a few thousand watches, each watch is around $300 on average.. you do the math. on top of this he's sold many parts both for rep and gen collectors. so, back to your suggestion, im sure he knows that his parts have problems but since people buy his stuff anyway there is no emergency to fix the problems. its that simple. people buy his stuff anyway, its all about money at the end.

as discuss for years...he should just buy 1 gen ...rep the best dial for 111h sandwich dial ..and rep it accurately ...

his increasing his price...but workmanship i heard really bad...they can do the best complicated HBB ...but why not a PAM ?? ...because ......

Looks like DSN dial is a 009B model because the 6 & 9 and PANERAI font are pretty close to the gen below. But the T-Swiss-T is wrong.

Gen 009B

post-12123-1213319858_thumb.jpg

post-12123-1213319916_thumb.jpg

Nope. The later B series used a Luminova sausage dial. A and early B series used a tritium sausage dial that had "T Swiss T" printed below the 6 with no dashes. The Pre-A series used engraved dials like the one shown by the OP with "T-Swiss-T" printed below the 6. Pre-V watches used the same engraved dials, but with no printing below the 6 at all.

The watch shown by the OP is a replica of the Pre-A series (circa 1997) 009, hence no series letter printed before the xxxx/xxxx serial number. So the dial and case back are correct-ish. They need to be modified slightly to be truly accurate.