When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

new iPhone and RWG

Chronus

What are your email needs? Do you need Push email? I mean really, really need it? Will 5 minutes not knowing you have a mail cost you money?

Typing emails is nicer on an iPhone and you can, with the iPhone 2.0 software out in July, read DOC, XLS, PDF and PPT attachments on the iPhone, using the pinch-zooming and scrolling of the iPhone.

You have to know you'd prefer a Blackberry to want one.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check this site out: http://www.blackberry.com/blackberrybold/

I think its coming in August.

Its got everything, 3G, GPS, HSDPA, High Res. Display (480 x 320), trackball for better handling, 13days of standby and 5h of talking and i think you can swap the battery.

Definitely more a business phone than the iPhone. iPhone is more a toy than for professional business use (even with active synch).

But surfing will probably be not as good as with the iPhone (at least I cant imagine).

Cameras probably suck on both iPhone (that I do know from personal experience) and the blackberry.

To all the haters out there: YES, I do have an iPhone myself, but I'm not an exec and I dont need to check my eMails every 2 seconds, if I was I would prefer a Blackberry - B)

Thanks for that...

My brother loves the trackball so he can speed-read books while he's on the train to work... the rate he reads it would be real annoying trying to scroll on a touchscreen, I would imagine - he used to read 24-30 books a week as a kid, each one the size of one volume from Lord of the Rings...

What are your email needs? Do you need Push email? I mean really, really need it? Will 5 minutes not knowing you have a mail cost you money?

Typing emails is nicer on an iPhone and you can, with the iPhone 2.0 software out in July, read DOC, XLS, PDF and PPT attachments on the iPhone, using the pinch-zooming and scrolling of the iPhone.

i thought the 2.0 had push mail??!?

I'm not qute sure about this, but from the Apple website, it sounds like you can have push email if your company has a MS Exchange server... does that mean if you don't set one up yourself, push email won't be available to the general non-business consumer.

Just like reps it may be best for me to wait and see after a month how it goes.

Viewing RWG pages would probably be best on the iphone though... i love that big screen size but it sucks out the battery quickly :(

Sure, if your Exchange server uses ActiveSync. However, most enterprises that use BES tied into Exchange won't feel the need to get ActiveSync set up.

Or you can get mobile.me to have Exchange, but I can't see enterprises paying for that either.

And of course, you can use Yahoo mail (even on a 1st gen iPhone) to get Push, but let's face it, who wants a yahoo address when they're trying to look serious?

So, yes, the 2.0 does Push, but you need the infrastructure. If you're working for a Blackberry-biased enterprise, you'll be hard-pressed to get Push on your iPhone.

sorry, but the nokias are SO FAT, especially the n95, I dont see how anyone could wear that phone...

i held tanfos phone (n95) the other day and it felt like a brick in my hand :lol:

You're right, it's fat... I like the slider mechanism but I know I'd break it, so I got the n82 which does everything the n95 can but also has a xenon flash for the 5MP camera, as well as an auto-rotating accelerometer (you need software to enable the n95s one). I gotta say I like the n82 a lot and the iphone or blackberry will be just an extra/spare phone for emailing and internet. I really should try emailing and looking at RWG on the n82 and see if I like it. My brother showed me how to use RSS feeds (very very simple!) as he uses it on his Blackberry, which is slow to get webpages. Works pretty well!

Push email would be nice... a luxury and in terms of work, I have mine on gmail ! I have a "proper" work one which doesn't have to be pushed. I'd really be putting all my private emails on there... 4 to 5 of them or so. I could try my Yahoo ones and see how that works.

n82 already reads DOC, XLS, PDF (unsure of powperpoint, never tried it) but doesn't write files unless you buy the "Office" software.... I'd imagine the screen size would be nicer to work with on the iPhone. If I can create and edit files and put in complex formulae - especially Excel spreadsheets - that would be very very useful for me.

Does it? No-one told me that and I commute an hour each way to work, using the iPhone continuously to browse, mail and watch movies. Every weekday.

The reviews I've read have said that... I'm more inclined to take your word for it from real world experience.

At the moment work is 10-15 mins from home, but things will change.

I guess I've really got to get one for a test run and see if I like it.

I prefer windows mobile based devices, anything that the iphone has you can get as an application for a WM Phone. I currently have this

htc-touch.jpg

It doesnt have as fast a processor as the iphone but its fast enough, has great battery life and is very small.

I prefer windows mobile based devices, anything that the iphone has you can get as an application for a WM Phone.

Really? :o

Where's the iPod? iTunes? Multi-touch Google Maps? CSS-compliant browser?

Yes, you can replicate the functionality, but at the cost of the usability.

Really? :o

Where's the iPod? iTunes? Multi-touch Google Maps? CSS-compliant browser?

Yes, you can replicate the functionality, but at the cost of the usability.

Personally, I am happy with the Nokia n82's music playback... and I don't really like the iTunes software... as well as being able to carry micro SDHC cards full of 8-16gb worth of music. I also have GPS...

The thing that interests me mainly is the email and browsing functionality... maybe I should get a laptop instead!

I prefer windows mobile based devices, anything that the iphone has you can get as an application for a WM Phone. I currently have this

htc-touch.jpg

It doesnt have as fast a processor as the iphone but its fast enough, has great battery life and is very small.

I'm guessing this has a slide out keyboard or a touchscreen?

My sister has a HTC but doesn't use it, preferring to use the blackberry-type device instead... or even more, the laptop.

How is this one for browsing and mailing?

The main OS's for "smartphones" seem to be Symbian, Windows Mobile and Apple's OS.

I heard at the start of the year there would be some update to the Symbian OS but haven't kept up with it. After I got Mobitubia, Fring and Opera installed, I haven't had time to look at the newer things that are out. I saw some videos of Doom being played on an n95 with the accelerometer - hooked up via the TV out to the TV. Not bad.... and Monkey Island too!

Forget Windows Mobile for the future. The battle is going to be between Android and the iPhone. Windows Mobile is already marginalised and Blackberry can only hide behind allegedly owning Push email for so long.

Sure, buy a Windows smartphone now, but just be aware you're backing a losing horse in the long run.

ps. Symbian? Long dead, but it still twitches, giving the appearance of life.

• 2 months later...

Blackberry Bold is finally out. It came out in the UK a couple weeks ago. I saw it in the shop yesterday.

There's a review here:

http://apcmag.com/blackberry_bold_handson_review.htm

It looks really good. Same screen resolution as an iPhone, but due to the smaller screen size, there are more dots per inch. It really does look good. It's wide, and I've never had a wide phone before. Not like that at least.

I've also seen the Nokia e71 which seems to be really good too. There's a review here:

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_e71-review-266.php

It seems to be the only phone with a browser with full Flash support. The BB one doesn't have that, nor the iPhone (a recent story about an iPhone ad being pulled due to a misleading advert). e71 will display full version of youtube fine, while BB has native divx/xvid support. CorePlayer will probably run on the e71 so probably no problems there? What's amazing though, is the e71's GPS was tested and ran for 14 hours straight in a static position. I think the next best phone has managed 4 hours. BB probably will run less than that due to the higher resolution display. I tried out the keyboard and it seemed ok. The e71 looks a little more cramped, but build quality is supposed to be great, made of all metal. It also has an interesting remote wipe feature. If your phone is stolen, send an SMS message to it with a code that will lock the phone. There are 3 attempts given to type in the correct unlock code, otherwise it wipes all the data. Not bad?

A question to iPhone users as I've still kinda considered it. How is it typing for long periods at a time? Such as this post I've just posted... is it comfortable? I tend to write a lot. Also, I heard that iPhone can't multitask. It shuts down tasks when switching to something else. So if you are on a messenger and want to view a webpage, it will shut down the former to view the latter? I'm guessing that it *does* allow you to play music while browsing etc though? I gotta say I don't like the o2 tariffs for iPhone though. Considering they do a sim only tariff with free internet for 20 a month.

And for anyone in the UK, if you get a business tariff on Vodafone, use quidco, they'll give you 100 GBP cash back :thumsupsmileyanim:

Forgot to mention other new things on the horizon...

I was initially going to get the LG Viewty over the iPhone as it seemed to do everything and more. Lack of wifi and the memory card behind the battery put me off, but that's fixed on the new one coming out with an 8MP camera. And this time it has a lens cover. About time!

The Samsung Omnia looks ok.

The Sony Ericsson Xperia looks good though... touch screen but also a slide-out keypad. Made by HTC. We'll see how that does, probably similar to the upcoming HTC Touch Pro?

And the Blackberry Thunder/Storm will be their first touchscreen phone...

Going to be an interesting next few months. Phone manufacturers seem to be ramping up to 8MP cameras. I'll wait and see how SE and Nokia respond to that.

And I'm still not sure if I like touchscreens or not. Pugwash, when are you lending me your iPhone?

My brother loves the trackball so he can speed-read books while he's on the train to work... the rate he reads it would be real annoying trying to scroll on a touchscreen, I would imagine - he used to read 24-30 books a week as a kid, each one the size of one volume from Lord of the Rings...

God that's amazing. 30 books a week of that size?

God that's amazing. 30 books a week of that size?

Yeah he can speed read and retain all the information as well (photographic memory helps). Studying for exams was always easy for him... most of the time he'd remember things from the actual classes!

It all started with me and a friend at primary school (around age 8-11 or so) trying to outdo each other and read as many books everyday. My brother copied me... except he kept doing it, while I slowed down to savour the story... wish I hadn't now ;)

Also for those with Windows Mobile and Symbian, you can get a free DivX player from the DivX site. There is also a program called Core Player which plays both DivX and XviD. Great to use TV out on your phone :p I'm not sure if iPhone has native support for it, if not, they may have a player there too.