When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is Turntable Part Of Your Fancy?

Savvy

Being a fan of mechanical watches myself because of their inherent qualities of craftsmanship and ingenuity brings the allure of it. Their creativity produce such masterpieces that each one is slightly different than the other even though they may be of the same model. That in itself is the "soul" of its mechanics. But nothing like that exists in quartz and/or digital watches. They are like dead units solely dependent on IC chips and electric current destined to follow the algorithm of its designer. That tends to be boring because of its constancy. Of course, they're more accurate, less inconsistencies, and highly reliable. But where's the excitement of it??

So the same lies with our CD's, MP3's, DVD's as the new trend of media conveniences "improves". Yes it's more convenient and faster: you got the remote and bam! you're there. Music is clear as glass with less or no cleaning required at all. Audio dynamic range is superb than ever! What more can you ask? But again, where's the excitement? It's soul-less.

I prefer and still play my records (LPs) everytime I play music at home. To clean my records before playing them makes me feel that I'm entitled to hear them. The cleaning labor involved on each record makes it a privilege for me to hear music I mostly deserve.

The mechanical turntable playing my precious vinyl is just like a fine swiss watch that tracks the grooves oh so gently with the exact tracking pressure and antiskating force that only a precision tonearm can deliver. Every music on the analog grooves may never sound the same (ever so slightly) each time I play it: they are warm, natural, and musical.

The mechanics of the automatic cycle underneath the chassis is just like the Valjoux 7750 designed to operate their tasks for functionality and reliability.

zeroop8.jpg

Purely mechanical! The excitement is always there just like wearing a mechanical wristwatch. But, is it just me?? :huh:

I have a vintage Marantz 6300 direct drive automatic TT I use often as I love the sound of vinyl. I use a Nitty Gritty LP cleaner to clean my LP's before playing.

I have the same platter, bought it new so that tells you my age. :p Still plays my old vinyl very well. A nicely put together unit along with some other Marantz componets I own have stood the test of time.

I can appreciate LPs, but the only way I listen to music at the moment is MP3, as my other equipment is in storage :(

Hi TeeJay!

How's the other side of the pond! Hope alls well with you, mate! Talk of these TTs and Tube amps reminds me of my Dad when we were growing up!

He used to have a massive collection of vinyl! I wished we kept his audio components and vinyl!

Cheers mate!

Hike

Hi TeeJay!

How's the other side of the pond! Hope alls well with you, mate! Talk of these TTs and Tube amps reminds me of my Dad when we were growing up!

He used to have a massive collection of vinyl! I wished we kept his audio components and vinyl!

Cheers mate!

Hike

All's well here, thanks, I'm even hoping to get that tie project off the ground before too long (I've had a succession of bills/expences/holidays one after the other :D ) Other than that, not much to report really :) How're things with you?

If I recall, the first album I bought, was the original soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever on double LP B)