When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sea Dweller

Molymo

Hi there all together,

well I hope I won't be trolled for what's gonna come:

I was an old RWG member way back when Nanuk and Redbigjoe where still posting like 200 times a day and kingwatch was respectfully addressed with "Ma'm". Then the new RWG came up and guys like Andrew all of a sudden became real pros in the buiz with amazing websites.

I have been offline for a long time (don't ask why) and am back to the free world and cyber space and have re-joined RWG.

Being a Sea Dweller Junky since I bought my first one from River (and a turn-o-graph from Paul who now seems to be PAM111) I have just ordered the 1:1 swiss from Andrew.

Sorry for bothering you guys with the story of my (replica)life. In those days when I was permanently online and on RWG the MBWs where kinda myth (and almost impossible to get) and now I see that Chris from EuroTimez sells MBW Sea dwellers.

Please can someone help me out of my misery:

must I sell Andy's 1:1 before I even received it and go for a MBW Sea dweller. Where#s the main difference. What, if, makes them so much better?

Thanks to anyone who'll take some time to reply. Good to be back!

Cheers

Andreas

are you talking about a vintage 1665 sea-dweller or a new sea-dweller? If you want vintage then go MBW, if you want a new sea-dweller, dont get the MBW. You want the new super sea-dweller 'SSD' (version 2) with the proper thick case and bezel. You can get the super sea-dweller from many of the dealers here. I would recommend Angus because i have delt with him many times.

dizz

All the SUPER SD you will buy from respected dealers now will be the one with the thick bezel. Although I would specifically ask for it just to be sure. The MBW modern SD I THINK is a TW Best type which is no where near what you will have with the SSD. The SSD along with the new ceramic GMT are the two best Rolex reps ever made.

must I sell Andy's 1:1 before I even received it and go for a MBW Sea dweller.

No. The SSD that you just ordered from Andrew is the best rep Rolex ever made, the new GMT II (ceramic bezel) as well, yes, but the mvt is not reliable like the SSD due to the GMT hand. So keep it, and go with MBW seadweller as well if you are hooked to SeaDweller. Note that the current gen SD z series model will be rare due to the fact that it is now discontinued and will be rare, it will be replace by the new SD Deep Sea, that still not receive unanime positive critics. At an AD, the owner of the store told me if I can put my hand on a SD Z series, I should go for it. He already sold all of them like little hot bread.

Modded MBW on left and new SSD on the right!

DSC_4592.jpg

If I had to choose, I had taken the SSD. A great rep, the lack of "frontal rehaut" does not really bother me. The vintage is nice, but it feels cheaper. The matte dial, slightly greyish text and flat hour makers makes it less flashy.

The 1665 MBW has a 57XXX serial number, which would make it a ca 1978 model.

Pick your choice! :)

@Molymo: Have a kjempeflott Sunday! ;)

DSC_4603.jpg

DSC_4607.jpg

You are comparing VINTAGE MBW against the MODERN SSD. (apples and oranges) In terms of Vintage SD you have several to choose from and these watches are works of art on there own. I am talking about modern VS. modern SD.......SSD vs. MODERN MBW SD. In this case the SSD is head and shoulders above the MBW.