When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need advise on PAM 88 GMT

godzilla

Already have 111H, now I am looking for nice PAM GMT. I am thinking of 88 (or 89, but like the polished case better). I know that DSN is selling one with larger hands that look closer to gen (but still not that accurate anyway). My questions will be as follow:

1. How good is DSN PAM 88 (or 89) compared to other dealer like Puretime ? Price difference is about $100. And how good is his upgraded hands? Any pictures would be appreciated.

2. How good is the modified GMT 7750 movement?

3. I read in the forum that some PAM 88 's GMT hand is moving in an hour step, while some are moving freely. Which one should I get, and how eaxtly does gen 88 GMT work (freely or 1-hour step)?

Thanks guys. If you have photos of PAM 88 or 89 from DSN or any dealers, please share.

Already have 111H, now I am looking for nice PAM GMT. I am thinking of 88 (or 89, but like the polished case better). I know that DSN is selling one with larger hands that look closer to gen (but still not that accurate anyway). My questions will be as follow:

1. How good is DSN PAM 88 (or 89) compared to other dealer like Puretime ? Price difference is about $100. And how good is his upgraded hands? Any pictures would be appreciated.

2. How good is the modified GMT 7750 movement?

3. I read in the forum that some PAM 88 's GMT hand is moving in an hour step, while some are moving freely. Which one should I get, and how eaxtly does gen 88 GMT work (freely or 1-hour step)?

1. For $100,- you will get a more accurate 088/089 with improved lume, cyclops, datefont and hands. Especially the shape of the GMT hand and the thickness of the minute hand are way more accurate to the gen. Note that the dial color of the 089 is completely off. Also the dial color of the regular 089 rep is not quiet like the gen, but better than the DSN.

2. I've had several bad experiences with 7750-GMT movements, although I think it was more a unserviced 7750 problem than a problem with the added GMT gears. So preventative full servicing of the movements is recommended.

3. The GMT module replaces the day function, so quicksetting the day will move the GMT hand in steps and the GMT hand will fluently run a 24 hour cycle.

Please be aware of the current QC issues with DSN. Also check his conditions when your watch gets lost in mail or custms.....

DSN 088 is the best 088 rep around, and one of the best PAM reps ever.

(current QC issues not taken in consideration here)

1. For $100,- you will get a more accurate 088/089 with improved lume, cyclops, datefont and hands. Especially the shape of the GMT hand and the thickness of the minute hand are way more accurate to the gen. Note that the dial color of the 089 is completely off. Also the dial color of the regular 089 rep is not quiet like the gen, but better than the DSN.

2. I've had several bad experiences with 7750-GMT movements, although I think it was more a unserviced 7750 problem than a problem with the added GMT gears. So preventative full servicing of the movements is recommended.

3. The GMT module replaces the day function, so quicksetting the day will move the GMT hand in steps and the GMT hand will fluently run a 24 hour cycle.

Please be aware of the current QC issues with DSN. Also check his conditions when your watch gets lost in mail or custms.....

Thanks scoobs1971, your suggestion confirms my thought that 88 looks kind of more like gen in term of dial color than 89. Also in this case I rather get it from DSN than other dealers. Do you know who provides service for 7750, and is it expensive?

DSN 088 is the best 088 rep around, and one of the best PAM reps ever.

(current QC issues not taken in consideration here)

Thanks sssurfer! If you have one, please share some photos :D

Do you know if the datewheel is sunken on the 88?

Thanks sssurfer! If you have one, please share some photos :D

Unfortunately I don't have a 088, I am not in GMT or panda style. :)

But I can post a large compare pic where you can see the exceptional accuracy of Davidsen's 088 dial:

088dsnvsgensb0.jpg

Tha caseback engravings are at a same level of accuracy.

And also the hands and date are pretty good.

The first GMT 7750's I saw over a year ago, were not that good.

The ones I have been seeing after this are ok.

The GMT hand adjustment is in 1 hour steps, but it trackes smooth with the main hour hand when it runs.

RG

Hi The Zigmeister, is there anyway I can contact you thru PM, have some questions regarding buying/making PAM 88. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Thanks

But I can post a large compare pic where you can see the exceptional accuracy of Davidsen's 088 dial:

088dsnvsgensb0.jpg

Funny, there seem to be 2 different dial versions of the gen.

DSN's dial has the'12' in the middle of 'L SWISS MADE L', while the regular rep dial has the L SWISS MADE L under the '12'.

Both pics are gens.

post-4081-1214993631_thumb.jpg

post-4081-1214993643_thumb.jpg

yes thats true, it's correct. the gen 088 has both versions.

but davidsen 088 dial is matte and looks like a bit greyish under the sapphire, and has a too light silver subdial.

the marker and numerals are smaller and too greenish than the standard rep dial.

the standard 088 dial has a silky black surface and pastel / creme marker / numerals.

for me very nice.

the best combination for me is:

standard: case, dial, movement,

davidsen: new upgrade handset, sapphire with large date mag, date wheel with bold font, new g-serie caseback ( is thicker as the standard caseback ),

mods - possible: v-crown-guard, palp or turk-crown,

rolli

Funny, there seem to be 2 different dial versions of the gen.

DSN's dial has the'12' in the middle of 'L SWISS MADE L', while the regular rep dial has the L SWISS MADE L under the '12'.

Both pics are gens.

the best combination for me is:

standard: case, dial, movement,

davidsen: new upgrade handset, sapphire with large date mag, date wheel with bold font, new g-serie caseback ( is thicker as the standard caseback ),

mods - possible: v-crown-guard, palp or turk-crown,

Rolli, we are dying for your pics..;)

By the way, does the 88 G-series need a V-CG as well? I thought they were only supposed to be correct for pre-A and post H-series Historic and non-chrono Contempory models.

i will think about it whether the 088 gets the v-crown-guard or not.

important is, it have to be my taste.

rolli

gen 1st serie crown-guard:

post-2837-1215001031_thumb.jpg

gen current serie crown-guard:

post-2837-1215001044_thumb.jpg post-2837-1215001064_thumb.jpg post-2837-1215001080_thumb.jpg

By the way, does the 88 G-series need a V-CG as well? I thought they were only supposed to be correct for pre-A and post H-series Historic and non-chrono Contempory models.

• 5 months later...

There seems to be a lot of confusion about which series introduced the larger ( V -type ) CG, with popular opinion appearing to be the H series.

The H series saw significant changes in the Panerai range with the introduction of the CdG decorated handwind movements and black sandwich dials in the handwind series (apart from the 000 & 005). However, the larger brushed CGs appeared with the G series watches which still had the 'painted' dials and the PANERAI engraved movements.

• 3 years later...