When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Skyland, Steelfish, Evolution

RobbieG

Gents,

I guess I'm getting bit by the Breitling bug. I never liked the brand much personally but I have had a series of such nice surprises. I started with the rep slate grey Ultimate BCE which I transplanted a Swiss 7750 in. Then I decided I hated the bracelet on it and was going to sell it but when I put the OEM style calf with white contrast stitching on it I really started liking it alot. Both the black and navy blue OEM straps work nice with the slate dial BTW. That watch is now getting the final touches of lume and a rehaut swap.

So then I'm looking for a blue dialed sports watch as I didn't have one, got the rep SFSO and fell in love so much I bought the gen. I felt for the price of just over two grand I paid it was just such a great value compared to other watches in its class. This has become really a three piece set too as it works equally well on bracelet, leather and rubber.

So today I finally get a chance to check out the all new Skyland today and I'm blown away almost beyond words. The black dialed version is absolutely stunning. The polished case and bracelet just sets off the stark contrast of the pure white indices with C1 lume against the jet black dial accentuated by the deep AR. Finally the little splash of red and the textured crown just wrap it up so nicely as does the perfect size and very substantial thickness. Again, it works so well at transforming itself into three really different watches depending on the choice of shoes. I'm polishing up the credit card again because if they don't really nail this rep down to the details I'll end up getting the gen again, but the price, just as with the Steelfish, is so completely fair compared to the compettion it is hard NOT to justify getting the gen even if the rep is really good.

What I really wnated to punctuate in this thread though is that I see both sides of the Breitling debate in that I used to be one that thought that the line was convoluted and saw nothing totally unique or special about the watches either. But I now see that that isn't what they are about. It is all about the details and they are small and easy to miss if you are looking in the wrong direction. If you are looking for uniqueness I think it is a set up for disappointment but if you look to the fine details and the value you get for those you may see it in a whole different light as I have. I mean what more can be done with a 7750 chronograph? They aren't supposed to blow you away. They just need to be timelessly nice with a touch of something different IMO. I also kind of missed the Avenger craze to begin with because I for one have never felt that Breitling's execution of Ti was up to par when compared to IWC and PAM. I feel that Breitling Ti feels and looks a little toyish and cheap in comparison. But not the case with steel. I am just really coming to appreciate how well Breitling works with steel. As an owner of several gen Omega and Rolex steel pieces as well, I have to say that Breitling is leading both of them in the steel chrono category for fit, finish, design and execution now that I have spent some time with the Skyland. If you haven't yet, I urge all the Breitling fans to get on down to your AD and check one out. For me the black dial is the only choice for the detail reasons mentioned, and I would have to place it as the #1 watch in the line right now in terms of being an everything watch for anybody really. Pure bling with the bracelet and pure dive on rubber. Everything else with croc or calf. It does it all. Plus, due to the price I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think it just might be the nicest and most flexable 7750 chrono for the money on the market today.

I will love to hear some other thoughts on all this. In the meantime, here is a link to the best pics i have seen which capture what the Skyland is all about I have seen yet on TZ. The first pics in the link are the best and of course of the black dial version...

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=msg...410#msg_3710200

I agree, I never really like Breitlings until I picked up the SFSO eta white dial on gen rubber...when the Skyland pics started to surface, I was drawn to the black steel but couldn't convince myself to pay that much for it, but fell in love with the SS BLACK DIAL. For me, it's my only true Blingy watch that has amazing wrist presence and is solid. I was looking at the grey dial which is nice, but the Black dial looks ridiculously good...I think several other members have the Black Dial Skyland. I also got a great deal from an online retailer for 20% off from retail so it was a good buy.

dave :victory: