When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SSD Question

Pink Panther

A gen Rolex crown will fit on an ETA stem- same thread size. The SSD has a good copy of the Rolex crown and tube, so swapping out isn't really necessary unless you just have to do it. Rolex parts #'s are 24-703-0 for the crown and 24-7030-0 for the tube.

I think you'd be better off trying to trim the crown guards a little and leaving the crown/tube assembly alone. When you change out the tube, you need to retap the hole and then you need a special tool to install the tube- about $70-80 just for the tools. Crown and tube could easily run $50-100.

Thank you both very much. I guess what worries me is whether the ssd is waterproof as i would like to go swimming with it.

No just waterproof but it seems that SSD can manage it to the deep... There is a member here who dived with the SSD and everything went fine.. I am planning to do the same in august:P

The way I see it is that if water was to enter the case it would most likely be through the caseback or the thread between the crown tube and case. Thats why I am considering replacing the crown tube by smothering the thread with some type of glue or putty during replacement. I dont think water would enter between the crown and tube if decent gaskets and silicon lub are used.

what do you think?

I just lubed out the caseback gasket and crown on my SSD when I first got it, and it has been fine for showering, swimming, etc. I know there are some members who have been diving with it, but regardless of the mods, I would never trust a rep for diving purposes. Just get a Seiko black monster if that's your bag. Besides, everyone knows that 99.9% of Rollie Sub/SD owners never go diving anyway! ;)

The way I see it is that if water was to enter the case it would most likely be through the caseback or the thread between the crown tube and case. Thats why I am considering replacing the crown tube by smothering the thread with some type of glue or putty during replacement. I dont think water would enter between the crown and tube if decent gaskets and silicon lub are used.

what do you think?

Lately, when I've removed tubes from rep cases, like the noobmariner, I notice that they are glued in. So that leaves siliconing the caseback gasket and the tube and crown gaskets and then having it tested by a watchmaker. A watchmaker should be able to test your watch for you for $10-20, it's a 4-5 minute test. If you pass, which you should, you're good to go.

I agree with thetwins- better pearl and filing the back of the bezel insert so it sits properly in the bezel are good mods. Don't spend a bunch of money- enjoy your watch, it's a beauty w/o a lot of mods!