When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen or Rep Strap?

eddy1968

I've recently purchased a 'genuine' Avenger strap for my SOH. I got it off the Bay from someone claiming they don't sell fakes and that it's guaranteed as 100% authentic. It's a 24/20 strap, and has a polished tang buckle with an engraved logo. It has 'CAOUTCHOUC' on the retainer and 24/20 at the lug end of each strap. I paid $175 (inc postage) for delivery to UK. I thought that at this price it must be real! The engraving is remarkably crisp and is far superior to the stamped logo that's on the rep leather strap that came with my SOH. Is there any way that I can tell whether it's genuine or not? I've just seen a picture of Andrew's rep strap and it looks remarkably like the one I've got. Tells anyone?

P.S. My SOH is not an Ultimate version.

P.P.S. But I like it so much that I've just ordered an Ultimate version from Andrew!

P.P.P.S. I might now have to get an Ocean Racer strap.

This could get expensive!

Looks like the real deal to me, you can really tell by the finish of the rubber. I had a rep band and you can definitly tell the difference. It appears to be one of the older versions with the engraved wings, the newer ones have the recessed wing logo on the buckle. Great looking strap.

"SOF"

Thanks for the reply guys. I've had a much closer look at the strap and have noticed that it has the number 24 on the inside of the rubber retaining strap that has caoutchouc on it. You wouldn't see it unless you're really looking for it. I'd guess that it's the kind of detail that a 'rep' maker would overlook? The finish of the strap is immaculate so I'm happy to accept that it's genuine - and whilst I might have paid a little over the odds, at least I've not been conned! Just gotta wait for my Ultimate version to arrive now. I'll will be posting comparison pics between Ulimate and standard version for anyone that's interested.