When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Good grief! One more fantasy PAM!

sssurfer

(...featuring the first appearance of The Flying Cyclops!)

I discovered that great fun in the rep thing is that it allows to design and make the "watch of your dream" by modifying and assembling parts from different watches -- what I think I wouldn't with gens. :lol:

Here is my latest creation/project. As UncleJay proposed, I'll call it Surftech, and it is my third model. Therefore, Surftech 003.

Here I am proposing it in three different incarnations, but I have resources to bring only one to life. So I would like to hear your opinion on which one is the best.

Features:

Sandwich aged bronze dial

Small seconds

Date (yes, magnified date even on a sandwich dial!)

Fat hour hand, Radiomir style

Pure SuperLuminova C3 lume

Double AR coated crystal

Auto movement

Unbranded. Nothing on the dial but the essentials

1st chance: Radiomir SS casing (this is how it actually is on my wrist in this moment).

Not AR coated yet.

radiomirss1pf4.jpg

radiomirss2ck6.jpg

radiomirss3hc4.jpg

radiomirss4wx4.jpg

radiomirssfacexm0.jpg

A crappy wrist & lume shot (apologies, I hope to be able to take a better pic soon).

It looks as I exaggerated with SL:

radiomirlumehh0.jpg

2nd chance: Radiomir rose gold casing.

I did not actually made it yet, this is just a computer graphic elaboration on a couple of the former pics. But I can have the SS case gold plated in a week.

radiomirrg2ab7.jpg

radiomirrg4kn8.jpg

3rd chance: Luminor rose gold casing (this is the one with double AR at this time).

The double AR, IMHO, is a stunner on this grained dial. The cyclops even looks floating in the air. To my knowledge, this is the first appearance of a cyclops on a double AR coated crystal. Unfortunately, the cyclops is not AR coated and it really suffers from reflections.

luminor1uw7.jpg

luminor2pb1.jpg

luminorfacerr1.jpg

luminorwristshotpv3.jpg

A detail pic to especially show the dial grain and the floating cyclops:

detailuu0.jpg

Which do you prefer? The Luminor model looks good, but I feel that this opinion may be biased by the AR coat. The dial & hands style looks demanding a Radiomir casing, I would say.

And about the Radiomir styles, I am very undecided on whether SS or RG. Originally I made this watch with the RG Radiomir case in mind. It being entirely played on soft, brown tones this would seem the most natural choice. But then I found that the SS case adds unexpected and not unpleasant contrast and it's not so bad in the end.

Thanks for looking. If anyone is curious about the parts and mods, I'll be glad to tell about them.

(Who removed the :sss: icon without even allowing me a chance to save it?) :angry:

I think the rose gold fits the radiomir style better. A very nice, dressy watch. The Luminor case is nice also but comes off a little more "blingy" to me. Now, a two tone luminor with two tone bracelet might be interesting...

Thanks, Z.! Going to take your advice in great account.

A two tone luminor with two tone bracelet?... Uhm... :g: Did you say "blingy"? :lol:

You are a magican man :)

I love them they look great..That lume was insane.

Cheers and enjoy them bro,

Dani

Thanks, Dani, and welcome back!

Ok, votes so far are:

SS radiomir: 4

RG radiomir: 3

RG luminor: 0

SS luminor (out of competition): 1

This includes votes from another forum (and I am a bit surprised I got more responses there than here, this makes me wonder if I should move too).

Anybody else?

My opinions:

RG radiomir is the nicest with that strap. It needs AR.

SS radiomir would be nicer with a black gator strap. It needs AR.

My personal choice would be the SS Radiomir because I don't wear gold. I do, however, think the RG Radiomir is dressier and perhaps classier or more refined looking. :)

Thanks guys! Really glad to get your advice.

I agree, whichever it is going to be, it absolutely needs double AR. Especially after seeing the effect of double AR in the Luminor variant. That sparkling dial absolutely needs no light reflection to hide it.

Unfortunately, the only Radiomir crystal that I have is mineral.

I am confident that it would greatly benefit from double AR, though.

Provided that there is an AR coater who will be willing to do the job on a mineral crystal. ;)

Ok, so we are at:

RG radiomir: 5

RG luminor: 0

:rolleyes:I SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE YOUUUUUUUUUUU!!!! LOL Great job Surf, and I'm glad you decided to use the SURFTECH name. :D You have great ideas and even better craftmanship. Your ideas are way above the curve. Keep it up!

But you cannot see me on the double-ARed Luminor version... :lol:

Thanks, Uncle!

I hoped you would chime in. As you gave this watch his name, you are its godfather in the end. :D

Just, I am unsure if you quoted a pic of the SS radiomir version as a vote to that version. Please would you let me know?

Without counting it, the joined vote count from three forums so far sounds:

RG radiomir: 6

RG luminor: 2

Great shots SSS really interesting ideas

But I may be going against the tide here, but I'm digging the Luminor. I just see it getting more wrist time if it was in my box. I really like the 140 so thats teh one that gets my vote

Good luck with the tough choice

ST4

I really like the Rose Gold Rad. Goes better with the gold hands. But, I don't love the cyclops, because of the low mag. But, otherwise, it looks fantastic. I will say that I do really prefer branded dials as well... looks like its missing something and a Surftech moniker would look cool...

Thanks for sharing!

Really thanks, folks!

Now we are at:

SS radiomir: 5

RG radiomir: 9

RG luminor: 4

@mil_sub: the watch on which I started this all was a PAM 287 (Radiomir Black Seal auto w/ date) rep that I got from Shir on iOffer. Excellent dealer, I posted a report about him elsewhere here, and good price on this rep: 100 USD s/h included; 90 USD if outside iOffer.

Here is a pic of the gen:

pam287genoh5.jpg

(Yes, the "3" number is incorrect. No problem: no accuracy issue on a fantasy model). :D

The rep comes with a good movement -- also according with my watchsmith who had a look at it. Most likely a Seagull movement and a cousin of the ST2530 that we find in our 090/124/222 reps. Sort of a ST2530 without the PR module, and with a bit smaller datewheel (good).

@jmt: I absolutely agree, the original cyclops is of no appointment.

If a Radiomir model will win this contest, no doubt I am going to replace it with a more powerful cyclops right after having the crystal double AR coated.

Unfortunately, no chance for a Surftech moniker. :(

Thanks once again to everyone!

sss

But you cannot see me on the double-ARed Luminor version... :lol:

Thanks, Uncle!

I hoped you would chime in. As you gave this watch his name, you are its godfather in the end. :D

Just, I am unsure if you quoted a pic of the SS radiomir version as a vote to that version. Please would you let me know?

That's correct, love the look of that one for sure!

Without counting it, the joined vote count from three forums so far sounds:

SS radiomir: 4 + 1 more for Uncle Jay

The watch needs a name I propose that you put your screen name SSurfer or SSURFER as the brand and P A R T Y as the model or something. It looks too blank without a name.

Unfortunately, adding text on a dial is beyond my skills currently... I hope one day... maybe... :rolleyes:

I was thinking that SMITH would be a good name for a watch brand. ???

:lol:

SS radiomir: 4 + 1 more for Uncle Jay

Thanks for voting, Uncle!

In the end:

SS radiomir: 6

RG luminor: 4

:shock: Awesome projects :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Personally, I like Option 3 the best. As you say, the gold hands are a bit overpowering in the Radiomir case, but in the Luminor case, it all just works together as a really nice design. Not a watch I'd wear myself, as I don't wear gold, but still something I'd consider a really nice watch, and, seeing as I normally don't even like gold watches, that's saying something ;):good:

Thanks!

SS radiomir: 6

RG luminor: 5

One radiomir case already is at the gold plater's -- but I kept another safe, just in case... :D

seeing as I normally don't even like gold watches, that's saying something ;):good:

Wow! Glad to hear that! :)