When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what PAM127 would you buy ?

docdoc

Hello,

Since I discover this forum I cannot stop searching for some cool watches !

I discovered the PAM127 and it looks awesome (maybe a little bit to big ?).

I wonder which version you would buy ?

the one from perfect clones with the sapphire glass front and back but not modded.

Or the one from Pure time with the modded option (extra lume+cannon).

Is the lume of the one from perfect clones doesn't last or it is ok.

And as I am a newbie what does "cannon pin fix" means ?

Are they any other Panerai "bubble glass" watch that you would recommend to buy ?

Edited by docdoc

welcome doc,

pinfix means that normally it has a " too short" cannon pinion that's why it looks recessed, when fixed it will have the right height and will look flush with the hands

when you look at both pics there's not much difference...the cgleverpin from PC looks a little better and flush with the crownguardlever than the one from puretime but that cab differ from watch to watch

So which one would you recommend ?

And I saw a PAM217H Marina Militare which also looks nice.

What do you think about it ?

(as I am new to this, I am hesitating a lot !!!)

Firstly Welcome

Secondly beware, the 127 is a fine watch, but its one big MoFo. 47mm is BIG so be prepared. If your used to that size of watch then all is good, but you may want to think about a 44mm first, there are mini fiddy's around.

But none that matters as they are addictive, PAMs are the crack of watches , you'll soon be on your second, and then theres the straps................................

With your choices go with Pure time and get the mods as well , it has the better movement to.

ST4

A "broad spectrum" piece price wise...Not so much, appearance wise IMNSFHO!!

You can buy these from $50-$500., depending upon your degree of "sphincter contraction"...If you're easily pleased you can get a new one for @ $100....or in my case $50.(used trade)...Be advised that that beautiful domed crystal will almost certainly self destruct at some time in the near future(even if you THINK you got a sapphire one!!)

Here's my $50. example with a replacement "Ofrei"$4.00 acrylic crystal(@1.5MM less domed than original) that wont ever shatter without a serious blow!!

IMG_6862.jpg

I don't have the two options in front of me but I wouild say the following.

Most likely they both have the identical #117 case with wrong BB number. But people will be noticing the rep movement long before they are looking at case numbers. At this point the crystals on the most expensive ones should be identical except that Davidsen uses double AR and there should be virtually no hint of AR. The gen uses a very light "white AR". And I have confirmed that the Davidsen and one on an older Fiddy of mine are both sapphire. My biggest issue with all of the newer versions is the dial. All the lettering is just outright the wrong color. The lettering should be much closer to white than grey. Davidsen's original dial came with lighter lettering but he is out of those. The gen did in fact comes with 2-3 variations in dial (I have seen 2) and although there are modest differences in the number sizing and cut-outs they both had substantially lighter font. Davidsen's hands are vastly superior to anyone else's as well. Here is a quick pic of a first generation gen dial versus the current Davidsen.

IMGP1847.jpg

But if you take off that jeweler's loupe, the Fiddy is one of the best out of the box clear caseback PAM reps out there.

My 127 is being shipped back from The Zigmeister right now. I started with a 3rd Generation Eddie Lee's Best. This came with the E0117 case, great dial, sapphire crytal without any AR, and true swiss 6497 movement (incorrect bridges). I had The Zigmeister service the movent and put in the longer cannon pin about a year and half ago. The stock lume was still crap so I picked up a set of Davidsen hands and just sent it out to Zig for a full relume. I also filed down the crown lever pin to be completely flush. I'll post pics when I'm done, but I feel it should be 98% or so on the wrist. I'm happy with the swiss movement even with the wrong bridges. My next move maybe to replace the crysal at some point. Mine hasn't shattered yet (knock on wood) in 3 years of ownership and It looks good to me, but maybe it should be domed a little more. I'll snap pics and have the board get back to me on that one.

thanks for the answers. I was wondering for the size of this baby ! Maybe a smaller one but with the distinctive bubble look may fit better ! I 'll go digging ;)

As this watch is big I was wondering about the "wheel" (I don't know the exact word) on the right that might hurts my wrist. That's why my second choice went to the PAM217H and its wheel on the left that I thought much more practical.

If you're easily pleased you can get a new one for @ $100.

all the one I see are around 200/250$ :(

Edited by docdoc

thanks for the answers. I was wondering for the size of this baby ! Maybe a smaller one but with the distinctive bubble look may fit better ! I 'll go digging ;)

As this watch is big I was wondering about the "wheel" (I don't know the exact word) on the right that might hurts my wrist. That's why my second choice went to the PAM217H and its wheel on the left that I thought much more practical.

all the one I see are around 200/250$ :(

You can probably get one in the sales section used for $100, but your gonna have to be quick, because at that price they will sell pretty quick. I'd keep checking there and find one that you like. They are all going to have different stong/weak points, but overall it is one of the best reps you can get out of the box. The 47mm was once laughably large, but once used to it, it is hard to wear smaller watches.