When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

noisy rotor and unbalance

Cats

Just got my new 1680 RED in and noticed that the rotor is very loud and sometimes the whole watch is shaking on my wirst when the rotor turns

Made a quick shot of the movement. I will shoot some new pictures tomorrow with decent light circumstances.

Is this an easy fix or do i have a crapy movement in this watch ??.

Engraving on the movement shows 2824-2 and an ETA stamp.

Rotor has a ball bearing with 5 balls

IMG_2710.jpg

Carpe Diem

Cats

Looks like an asian copy eta. No Swiss Made-25 jewels on the rotor. Also, a 2824-2 is not typical for the 1680 Red Sub- should be a 2836-2. But, heck, maybe it's a 2836 copy that was incorrectly labeled, or maybe they managed to fit a 2824 in there.

I wouldn't worry about the noisy rotor if the watch is keeping good time- it's probably the least of your worries!

Just got my new 1680 RED in and noticed that the rotor is very loud and sometimes the whole watch is shaking on my wirst when the rotor turns

Made a quick shot of the movement. I will shoot some new pictures tomorrow with decent light circumstances.

Is this an easy fix or do i have a crapy movement in this watch ??.

Like most reps, the movement is surplus/unserviced & needs an overhaul. You can usually cure it by removing the auto-wind module (the top assembly containing the rotor, which is held onto the movement by 2 screws). Disassemble & clean (preferably with an ultrasonic) the plate & all the gears. Then, after they are thoroughly dry, you will need to oil the gears & pinions with Moebius 9010 & D5 (or similar) & reassemble. After that, it should work properly.

I forgot to ask if i want to replace this movement which one should i look for.

I don't want to have to buy new hands for it so they should fit.

Thanks in advance.

Carpe Diem

Cats

As promised some pictures of the movement of the new kid on the block

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

Again if i want to replace to movement of this noisy beast which one do i need ( provided that i can keep the hands of this movement )

Carpe Diem

Cats

I guess a Swiss 2824-2 would work and should have the same hand sizes- 90/150/25. Check out Ofrei or JulesBorel- but those are basically surplus movements and may be dirty or need a servicing. Maybe your watchmaker could service the movement you've got- but I was reading yesterday that Ziggy has had some problems regulating the copy movts.

First response of my friend and watchsmith is that after he saw some pictures it could be a genuine movement.

I will be able to tell you if it's a genuine after he serviced it.

Carpe Diem

Cats

And remember, the asian copy is relatively new, so it takes an experienced eye to tell the difference. How many watchmakers are even familiar with this new breed of cat? We here on the forum probably see more of this than the average watchmaker because of the nature of our business- it may sound trite, but we are really on the cutting edge in this regard, so to speak.

And remember, the asian copy is relatively new, so it takes an experienced eye to tell the difference. How many watchmakers are even familiar with this new breed of cat? We here on the forum probably see more of this than the average watchmaker because of the nature of our business- it may sound trite, but we are really on the cutting edge in this regard, so to speak.

Yeah, what Alligoat said.