When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Waterproof PAM111H from Angus?

athan

Hi to all!!

Couple of days ago a ordered a PAM111H from Angus.

He told me that the watch will be waterproof tested for swimming and shower.

Does anybody have any experience on that?

I'm always near water...

Any recommendations?

Athan

waterproofing for shower? all of my reps that were never waterproofed are resistant to shower :lol:

swimming is different, Ive read once that they check the gaskets and if needed rub them with silicone or something else. But im not sure, moreover his method may vary from others

Edited by pubus

waterproofing for shower? all of my reps that were never waterproofed are resistant to shower :lol:

swimming is different, Ive read once that they check the gaskets and if needed rub them with silicone or something else. But im not sure, moreover his method may vary from others

I don't know about your reps my friend, but when I bought my MBK 1665 GW, Narikaa told me I'm better-off not to shower :D

Hi to all!!

Couple of days ago a ordered a PAM111H from Angus.

He told me that the watch will be waterproof tested for swimming and shower.

I've always had good luck with Angus, he stands by his stuff. If he says it, I would tend to believe him.

But remember, swimming and diving are two different things - few reps will stand more than ten feet of depth or so -

I've always had good luck with Angus, he stands by his stuff. If he says it, I would tend to believe him.

But remember, swimming and diving are two different things - few reps will stand more than ten feet of depth or so -

Thanks RLudlowe,

I'm only into raki diving :D so I don't think this would cause any problems to my PAM!!!

Are there any reps withstanding any diving - I just ask you out curiosity...???

Thanks RLudlowe,

I'm only into raki diving :D so I don't think this would cause any problems to my PAM!!!

Are there any reps withstanding any diving - I just ask you out curiosity...???

The SSD:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...mp;hl=dive+test

Although mine has never been diving, it has been snorkeling a few times and in the pool numerous times. I did open it up and grease the gaskets though.

BTW, unlike the test subject, mine shows no sign of corrosion. But I believe that corrosion was due to the environment in which it was tested.

Of all my PAMs (111h, 111g, 127 029a 18Something and 104) only the 104 and 127 were not water-resistant. The 127, I know is due to an issue with the tube not being properly positioned to press the crown against the inside of the crownguard lever, but, when I hold the crown down tight, the case itself is water-resistant, so I know that's just the tube issue, which, hopefully, will be resolved while the watch is being serviced. The first 104 I got fogged up in the shower, so I sent it back, but, the replacement is absolutely fine. Chances are the watch will be water-resistant rather than not. To be honest, a watch like a PAM has no reason not to be water-resistant other than shoddy manufacture, as it has no real 'weak spots' in the case which could flood (say like the HE valves on Omegas)

Best of luck :):good:

Of all my PAMs (111h, 111g, 127 029a 18Something and 104) only the 104 and 127 were not water-resistant. The 127, I know is due to an issue with the tube not being properly positioned to press the crown against the inside of the crownguard lever, but, when I hold the crown down tight, the case itself is water-resistant, so I know that's just the tube issue, which, hopefully, will be resolved while the watch is being serviced. The first 104 I got fogged up in the shower, so I sent it back, but, the replacement is absolutely fine. Chances are the watch will be water-resistant rather than not. To be honest, a watch like a PAM has no reason not to be water-resistant other than shoddy manufacture, as it has no real 'weak spots' in the case which could flood (say like the HE valves on Omegas)

Best of luck :):good:

Many thanks TeeJay ^_^

Many thanks TeeJay ^_^

No problem :) Chances are the watch will be fine. As long as the crown-guard lever locks solidly into place, it's certainly worth the risk of running the watch under a tap ;) Of course, if it fogs up, then just let it dry out, and remember not to get it wet again (or, if you've paid for water-proofing, send it back to the dealer ;) ) It's also worth putting on a pair of dish-washing gloves, and using your thumbs to make sure the caseback is screwed down tight. If it's loose, thumb pressure will be enough to get it waterproof (well, as long as the rest of the watch is :D ) I used this method to open and close the caseback on my 111h while on vacation, as it stopped mysteriously (following a service) and I wanted to see if I could see any obvious damage. Turned out there was still a jam, but other than that, it would run flawlessly for 12 hours before jamming... Anyway, re-securing the caseback with the gloves, I went swimming (quite vigorously against the tides) and no leaking or fogging at all :)

[ It's also worth putting on a pair of dish-washing gloves, and using your thumbs to make sure the caseback is screwed down tight. If it's loose, thumb pressure will be enough to get it waterproof (well, as long as the rest of the watch is :D )

My two cents:

1.If you paid waterproofing/water resistancy from the dealers, then that means you could swim with it! That's what you're paying for! I know some members will not take the dealers word for anything, but since I paid for it, it better be water resistant or else it goes back and I'm not scared in dunking it in water! Done that several times!

2. Only the SSD and SFSO are guaranteed by some dealers up to 100M, the new Heritage and GMT IIc are guaranteed to 30M. This is according to there web site and I take there word for it. If it leaks, it goes back. Done that, too! Again, some members will disagree!

3. I don't trust most Chronos and none screw type crown models, so I don't get them close to water not unless guaranteed or waterproof by a modder or the dealer like my '06 Costeau.

4. After my 6th collection and got educated here, I started doing my own waterproofing which is basically opening the case and making sure it has a rubber gasket and the tube or crown and greasing these parts and then tightening them after. So far, been 100% on this little project! All the PAMs I have are water resistant except the chrono models like the 253. That one I ordered from the dealer with waterproofing and it leaked after 3 months! Off it went to the dealer! Now it's ok after it came back! BTW: This was my 5th collection!

Good luck!

Oh, I forgot; go to ofrei.com and get some of the grease and the Ball case opener if you want to do it yourself.

My two cents:

1.If you paid waterproofing/water resistancy from the dealers, then that means you could swim with it! That's what you're paying for! I know some members will not take the dealers word for anything, but since I paid for it, it better be water resistant or else it goes back and I'm not scared in dunking it in water! Done that several times!

2. Only the SSD and SFSO are guaranteed by some dealers up to 100M, the new Heritage and GMT IIc are guaranteed to 30M. This is according to there web site and I take there word for it. If it leaks, it goes back. Done that, too! Again, some members will disagree!

3. I don't trust most Chronos and none screw type crown models, so I don't get them close to water not unless guaranteed or waterproof by a modder or the dealer like my '06 Costeau.

4. After my 6th collection and got educated here, I started doing my own waterproofing which is basically opening the case and making sure it has a rubber gasket and the tube or crown and greasing these parts and then tightening them after. So far, been 100% on this little project! All the PAMs I have are water resistant except the chrono models like the 253. That one I ordered from the dealer with waterproofing and it leaked after 3 months! Off it went to the dealer! Now it's ok after it came back! BTW: This was my 5th collection!

Good luck!

Oh, I forgot; go to ofrei.com and get some of the grease and the Ball case opener if you want to do it yourself.

Thank you hikeUSA, for the very helpful bits of info.

Any special attention while greasing? Somewhere in here I think I red that one needs to be very careful and not over-grease the gaskets?

Athan

PS I always liked to watch the ladies under your signature. It's amazing how my eye goes directly to the PAM instead of looking at the action... ;-)

Thanks for the glove tip TeeJay ;-)

No problem :) Just to clarify, when I say 'thumb pressure', I am meaning 'maximum-possible-feels-like-your-thumbs-are-about-to-seperate-from-the-nail' pressure ;) I admit, it might not be as tight as a case-wrench will allow, but, it's certainly enough that the back cannot be removed by 'ungloved' thumb pressure, and should be sufficient to render the case water-resistant (as long as the case itself doesn't have other flaws which could lead to flooding ;))

My two cents:

Good luck!

It's funny you mention chronos. I was also similarly scheptical, but, I've got the One Eight Something wet on occasions, and thus far, it's been fine :) Of course, I haven't taken it scuba diving, but it's certainly stood up to the daily abuse which made my first, flawed, 104, fog up almost immediately, so to me, that's a fairly good sign of, at least a reasonable level of water-resistance :) Wether I'd have the same luck with other chrono PAMs, I wouldn't like to say, but, I'd definitely try, to find out :lol: