When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

116710 bezel assembly

docblackrock

Have noticed a slight glitch on my CHS 116710 - only took me 3 weeks to spot it :rolleyes: - namely the ceramic bezel isn't sitting flush into the bezel on one side - must be a glue buildup thing.

So I need to pop off the bezel, insert and rectify.

Concern of course being not to damage the ceramic-metal insert - normally would pop the bezel off without a thought but I recall posts saying some of the newer modern Rolex reps (of which I'm not really into) such as the Noob have bezels which just don't come off and are a PIA to remove/replace.

So any suggestions/advice/sharing of schematic info here on this particular bezel?

Thanks in advance.

Guys are you sure this is the bezel not sitting flat and not the sapphire? Rotate the bezel 180degrees and check the bezel insert again. If the 'thin' part of the bezel-sapphire is in the same place (9o clock) you probably have a bad setting of the sapphire and not of the bezel insert.

Hey doc, check all the post about the GMT IIC, I spotted this sapphire crystal problem in one of those threads, just can't remember which one and

who posted!

Good luck~!

I'll be interested, too koz mine is coming from Joshua anyday now!

Viewed from the side, my crystal sits about .25mm higher, with respect to the highest point of the bezel, on the crown side as compared to the opposite side. The other chs watch I saw looked to be similar. If your watch looks like this

crystalheight0121.jpg

I think that is within spec. If yours has a larger deviation, can you post a pic?

Freddy, definitely not within spec.

Can see bevel edge of crystal on crown side, cannot on opposite side as the insert looks raised. When I first caught the slanted profile view, I though must be a crystal seating issue, but then I noticed I could see the edge of the insert on the 7-11 o'clock side, yet the bezel itself is flush to the case alll the way round.

See?

picture23ug5.png

Yes, I see what you mean, Doc. Your insert is not seated fully all the way around the bezel. I think Lani found that the inserts on these watches are installed with double-sided tape, which, in your case, may be coming loose around the 3 o'clock position. Does the insert feel soft or can you push it back down? The adhesive may be coming loose or they may just not have pressed it down properly when it was installed.....hopefully :pray:

Viewed from the side, my crystal sits about .25mm higher, with respect to the highest point of the bezel, on the crown side as compared to the opposite side. The other chs watch I saw looked to be similar. If your watch looks like this

crystalheight0121.jpg

I think that is within spec. If yours has a larger deviation, can you post a pic?

:rolleyes: .. you guy's got it ... bbaaaaaadd .. you would of had to have taken a loupe or magnifier.. (like I just did) to find this.. so i't good to know that I'm not the only one who tries to stare away this stuff.. B)

I've resest the bezel insert.. so it's not glue under the insert.. there are 3 pins though..

Now, for me to say.. "just don't think about it" .. would be tantamont to the Queen wearing spandex... :shock:

so you just haaaaaadd... to bring this up.. I was experiencing Nirvana with this rep .. ya had to huh ? <_< .... ya just couldn't help it huh? :brow:

I think I'm putting on my 1665 DRSD .. i got back.. lighting some Black spice candles.. and chanting...oooOOOOMMMHHHhhh.... :pray:

Well using a combination of plastic blades and toothpicks, I've been able to remove the insert in situ, and yes there was a thick layer/clumps of double-sided tape underneath. Interestingly, removed it all and the insert snap-fits in nicely and securely. Seats better now. How secure I don't know but out of paranoia, I'll probably remove and use some adhesive just in case.

Oh but with the insert off, there's still the lob-sided crystal seating in gasket clearly visible - wonder why this is?

Well using a combination of plastic blades and toothpicks, I've been able to remove the insert in situ, and yes there was a thick layer/clumps of double-sided tape underneath. Interestingly, removed it all and the insert snap-fits in nicely and securely. Seats better now. How secure I don't know but out of paranoia, I'll probably remove and use some adhesive just in case.

Oh but with the insert off, there's still the lob-sided crystal seating in gasket clearly visible - wonder why this is?

Glad to hear you fixed the insert issue.

The crystal offset seems to be the same on all of these reps, so I think the factory just used the same (cheap) crystal press which fitted all the crystals with the same, slight bias to 1 side. At least from what I have seen, the bias is nowhere near enough to cause leakage problems (assuming the case does not have other issues) & is nearly impossible for mere Earthlings to see with the naked eye. It is only weenies like us who notice these things from a galaxy away. :blink:

one of my PO's has this isue .. so I figure it must be the crystal seated improperly .. but if all the reps have this issue .. couldn't be improper crytal press on all of them ??

I use "Shoe Goo" on all my bezel inserts.. same thing they use to glue athletic shoes... stay's "gummy " does not fall off and can be removed just as easily as the tape..

• 1 month later...