When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT hand is not working should I be worried?

rolexconfuse

For what it's worth:

I have the same issue (or similar) with a GMTII Red/Blue - with a 2836-2 modified movement. The Zigmeister has flat out told me this is an unreliable modification to this movement, the best thing would be an actual GMT movement, the 2893. But anyway, I gots what I gots. :huh:

The GMT hand will run for a few hours, then stop. Now, either I read something here, or in my instinctive problem-solving brain I decided to experiment, and discovered it either stops after a few hours, or works perfectly... based on how I set the time.

By-Tor has a thread on setting a GMT (search for it), you may recall CHS or IHS, I don't, but it has to do with setting the time an hour back, then setting the GMT hand to match, then setting the time again ahead to the correct hour - which will advance the GMT hand to the correct hour. Well yeah, that works to set the time, but on my GMT, this is when the GMT hand stops functioning after a few hours. (but I have a 2836-2 ExpII where this works just fine, go figure).

My GMT works fine when I set the time, then set the GMT hand, and screw the crown down. If I change the time, I have to set the GMT hand after, or it will stop in a few hours. Also, it has to be set immediately following - setting the time is two positions out - I have to get it to click back one to GMT/date set (or I'm back to it stopping in an hour or two) - and this is the hard part, because 75% of the time, it clicks back to the winding position. So then I have to pull it out and stop the time, then try to click back to the GMT/date position and set the hand, even if it requires (slowly) spinning it around 24 hours.

If I do that exactly, the GMT hands runs fine. I suggest this as I imagine they're using the same hacked 2836 movement in the new GMTIICs. It's worth trying over the hassle of sending it back.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Thank you for a very informative post. Its great to get facts and information, instead of opinions and assumptions!

For what it's worth:

I have the same issue (or similar) with a GMTII Red/Blue - with a 2836-2 modified movement. The Zigmeister has flat out told me this is an unreliable modification to this movement, the best thing would be an actual GMT movement, the 2893. But anyway, I gots what I gots. :huh:

The GMT hand will run for a few hours, then stop. Now, either I read something here, or in my instinctive problem-solving brain I decided to experiment, and discovered it either stops after a few hours, or works perfectly... based on how I set the time.

By-Tor has a thread on setting a GMT (search for it), you may recall CHS or IHS, I don't, but it has to do with setting the time an hour back, then setting the GMT hand to match, then setting the time again ahead to the correct hour - which will advance the GMT hand to the correct hour. Well yeah, that works to set the time, but on my GMT, this is when the GMT hand stops functioning after a few hours. (but I have a 2836-2 ExpII where this works just fine, go figure).

My GMT works fine when I set the time, then set the GMT hand, and screw the crown down. If I change the time, I have to set the GMT hand after, or it will stop in a few hours. Also, it has to be set immediately following - setting the time is two positions out - I have to get it to click back one to GMT/date set (or I'm back to it stopping in an hour or two) - and this is the hard part, because 75% of the time, it clicks back to the winding position. So then I have to pull it out and stop the time, then try to click back to the GMT/date position and set the hand, even if it requires (slowly) spinning it around 24 hours.

If I do that exactly, the GMT hands runs fine. I suggest this as I imagine they're using the same hacked 2836 movement in the new GMTIICs. It's worth trying over the hassle of sending it back.

But everyone had to have that correct handstack in case they got accosted by a band of hooligans with 20x loupes. ;)

Strange you should mention that, it was only the other day when......

:lol:

I am suprised by the other poll, with number of peeps that ordered the Asian clone high, compared to the ICHS Swiss ETA. On a movement that has been modified, I would always go with the Swiss version.....

Watches like the Breitling Heritage have an Asian clone, but it is unmodified and should be OK as a result....