When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TW Best Datejust or regular 'ETA' version?

DemonSlayer

Hey guys, I have a chance to get a TW Datejust in the dial I have been looking everywhere for. I now have a bit of a dilemma. I can purchase the regular 'ETA' version for $200, but theres no guarantee that it will have a genuine ETA movement inside it. Alternatively, for an extra $160 I can purchase a TW Best, and the dealer guarantees a swiss ETA movement inside it.

I have read about the legendary quality of TW Best models, apparantly they just feel more gen like. So, do you think for an extra $160 its worth it? For that extra money, I would be getting a guaranteed ETA movement and the quality of a TW Best. Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks.

sounds like bad value for the price. BUT if this is the watch youve been dreaming of all your life then spend as much as possible to achieve what you think best reflects the accuracy of the piece. otherwise knowing that something better exists out there that you could buy, might bother you everyday that you look at your watch

There are two separate points here the movement and the quality of the TW best.

Now 360 sounds very expensive, but if you see most of the dealers prices the 200 mark is for the asian etas, and the 300+ for the real ETAs, it doesn’t not appears tan expensive now. And also I believe than is safer to assume than for 200 you are getting an asian clone.

The TW best DJ and DD it’s the most accurate copy and the best quality one, and also I remember that a long time ago the price of this reps were around de 400+ neighborhood.

So IMHO, it think than if you really want a DJ, personally I would go for a DD, take the TW best. Anyway what dealer it’s still offering the TW best DJ?

Edited by emuozz

Emuozz makes some very good points. A dealer has verified with me that their $200 DJ and DD do in fact contain asian eta clones. If it is indeed true that dealers are charging $300 for the ETA versions, then the TW Best seems like a good deal. I have never handled a TW Best DJ or DD before, but several members have spoken of its high quality and its 'close to gen' appearance and feel.

I have no idea how good the ETA clones are. I intend to wear my DJ for many many years, its going to be a definite permanent keeper, and therefore it will be serviced. If I were to purchase a DJ with a clone movement, what would I do if there is a problem in servicing these clone movements, or if I need spare parts? How will I be able to track down parts for these clones? Are these clones even available to purchase as stand alone movements from any of our dealers? If they are, will they be in 5 years? I remember reading a post by The Zigmeister where he stated he encountered problems servicing a clone movement and it was also difficult to regulate. The issues go on...

Now if I wanted a DJ 'just for fun' I would have no problem going for the ETA clone. However, I am purchasing this DJ to wear as a good quality watch. I won't see it as a gen, nor will I see it as a rep, just as a good quality watch that will hopefully last many years. I therefore want to purchase the best possible version not only in terms of build quality, but the movement as well.

Here is my TW Best DJ photographed by the dealer, it is now on its way to me:

twbestdj.jpg

Again, I don't really care for any visual flaws on the dial, most people wouldn't be able to spot them anyway as Rolex have made so many variations on their dials. I'm not even sure if that datefont 6 is supposed to be open or not, again its not something which really bothers me.

Emuozz, you have a PM :)