When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A question about vintage 3646 straps

flyback

Hi,

I have a question that may be silly... I have bought some days ago two 3646 (one 47mm from Pam111.com and one 45mm from Silix).

I'm now waiting for these watches and browse straps makers pics.

The lugs are welded like gen 3646.

I wonder how you put a strap on this kind of watch ? Is there a spring bar between the lugs that will be covered by the strap or will the strap must be stitched to the lug ?

Thanks !

the vintage 3646 reps have no welded lug wires. they are only pressed in.

yes they have spring bars.

on my gallery you can see the 3646 with welded lug wires as modification.

rolli

Hi,

I have a question that may be silly... I have bought some days ago two 3646 (one 47mm from Pam111.com and one 45mm from Silix).

I'm now waiting for these watches and browse straps makers pics.

The lugs are welded like gen 3646.

I wonder how you put a strap on this kind of watch ? Is there a spring bar between the lugs that will be covered by the strap or will the strap must be stitched to the lug ?

Thanks !

for a watchmaker is it very easy to remove the old lug wires and to manufacture new with springbars.

maybe in your town is a goldsmith with a welding machine. then everything is very simple.

rolli

Thanks for your reply rolli. I have seen your pam gallery (and the two 3646 pics with the springbar between the lug) with great interest. your watches are first class ! Congratulations !

You can do what either tootall or rolli suggest.

Also, there are many straps out there that are designed for fixed lug watches. There are many types of connection.

Some have spring steel in them. You insert the strap through the lug and snap it closed around the lug. The tension holds it in place.

Some have little bent metal tabs on the bottom side that slide through the leather and hold it in place after being inserted through the lug.

Another style is with a rivet or chicago screw. This allows you to unscrew the fastener and remove the strap.

I am sure there are other styles. Most of the factory style straps use the first two kinds. I don't personally like those. I think they are too flimsy, ugly or prone to problems. (well the spring steel should maybe be held out from this assessment)

As for the Chicago screw method, you can find those as well. This to me is better because it is held firmly in place, and looks more substantial. Of course you have to like that look. In fact some people make these straps with a fake rivet there to get the look without actually having a screw. Another option would be to embed the female end of the screw into the strap so you don't see it from the outside when worn. Then you can screw in the male side from the back which won't be seen when worn either.

Some examples:

detail.jpg

From Ebay:

2000783331233870795_rs.jpg

Springsteel:

200B_IW2.JPG

Non functional rivet with metal tab closure on the back:

P1030644.JPG

Chicago screws:

DSC00709.jpg

DSC00714.jpg

(all above pictures borrowed from the net.)

Here is a strap I made for a guy with a fixed lug Radiomir:

080509%20RED12straps-007%20[800x600].JPG 080509%20RED12straps-008%20[800x600].JPG

080509%20RED12straps-010%20[800x600].JPG 080509%20RED12straps-011%20[800x600].JPG

Another option is NATO style strap that feeds through the lugs. There is also a variant that is like a bund with a strap that feeds through the whole length.

Here is an example in leather that I made for myself: (but there are many other options out there)

080316%20RED12straps-002%20[800x600].JPG