When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen dial on SSD V2?

pfran42

Anyone want to chime in on whether a gen SD dial (2000-Present) will fit on an SSD V2 (from Andrew).

I have been doing extensive research into the 5 minute markers on the gens and now I can't look at my watch anymore without having the dial glare back at me with every one of it's minute markers being the exact same size and width. I am beginning to see why so many members are on the constant hunt for the perfect rep of their favorite model.

I figure that BK would be the definitive source since he has already had the crystals out on both the gen and rep for comparison photos (that was a nice read by the way).

I have been doing extensive research into the 5 minute markers on the gens and now I can't look at my watch anymore without having the dial glare back at me with every one of it's minute markers being the exact same size and width. I am beginning to see why so many members are on the constant hunt for the perfect rep of their favorite model.

When you really love a particular watch the GEN becomes the only solution. I love this REP community and the topics of conversation, I find are by far more in-depth than the GEN forums, but I had to get the GEN SD. I would love to do a side-by-side comparison, I bet there's only a 20% difference between them. But like my wife who said at the time when we got married and were previously living together, "I just feel legitimate now". It's kinda the same for those special watches.

However, I put on my MBW Great White the other day and it felt and fit really well, and the hands really glowed compared to the GEN due to the plastic dome, GEN GW SD is circa 20K now. I'll probably have to sell it to help pay off the balance on the credit card.

I doubt the GEN dial will fit even if you can find one. Honestly try not to stare at it with a loupe. Even with the GEN, nothing is perfect. Good luck.

wow i dont remember seeing that! nice work Polexpete

Are there any noticable flaws on the SSD dial? Afterall it is a noobfactory dial and pretty darn good as is. Im wearing my SSD right now and i dont see anything that really stands out as a flaw on my dial compared to this pic

edit - now that i look at it.. the white printing is a little "brighter" on the gen.. and the 5 min marker lines are a little bolder on the gen.

wow i dont remember seeing that! nice work Polexpete

Are there any noticable flaws on the SSD dial? Afterall it is a noobfactory dial and pretty darn good as is. Im wearing my SSD right now and i dont see anything that really stands out as a flaw on my dial compared to this pic

edit - now that i look at it.. the white printing is a little "brighter" on the gen.. and the 5 min marker lines are a little bolder on the gen.

Hi Dizzy,

thanks glad you like it. Actually the rep dial is really good probably the best on any Rollie rep i reckon.

The only real flaws which rep dials never get right is the quality of the lume. On the gen its creamy smooth and even and of course is really bright in the dark. The markers on a rep dial are uneven and never the same, but saying that you gotta look close.

I changed mine because i had the gen dial for a while after picking it up for a good price on the bay.

Cheers

P.