When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Selling high priced items over the web

Dani

Hi guys,

I have had my EWA on sale at all types of watch forums for couple of weeks.

Thing is shoud i as a seller worry about selling to certain countrys?

I have a buyer from Malaysia, he has not even asked for my refs or any such things.

Also he will pay upfront offcaurse and i will thake the money out of my account prior to shipping.

Is their anything that can go wrong here??After i lost my 063 i em scared shittless of sending any thing in the mail.

Insure if for full amount is also a demand from me no low value invoice maybe some other trick but no low value invoice.

That rings some bells for me that he don't ask to much about refs and such.

Any advice ?

Cheers

If you do as you say and get the $ up front, withdraw it, and insure item for the full amount I would say you have covered all your bases.

have do i cover my ass if he say i have not shipped the watch in the box and files complain on that?

shoud i ask the fedex people to be witnes as i pack it?

Cheers

I read a post that says basically that the insurance is bull - it covers you only up to a max - which is different based on the method but it's low anyway - like 75 or 150...

This is a 15k watch so i sincerly hope fedex will offer a good insurence for me..

Cheers

Guest carlsbadrolex

DANI, FEDEX HAS A LIMIT OF LIABILITY SET FOR JEWELERY AND WATCHES AT $500... Ask me how I know this!!!! COME ON, ask me!!!

In 2002 I had a Rolex 16613 with boxes and papers stolen while in the care and custody of Fedex. I had insured the package for over $6k. When the box was received at the delivery station, the zip strip had been ripped open and the box was empty. They spent 3 months trying to "locate" the missing watch and then sent me a check for $100 (at that time the limit of liability was only $100).

The person taking your money and taking custody of the package will allow you to insure it for whatever you want, but if its lost or damaged, they wont pay more than $500.

This is the fine print from the Rolex website. See #7

Shipments (packages or freight) containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of US$500:

1. Artwork, including any work created or developed by the application of skill, taste or creative talent for sale, display or collection. This includes, but is not limited to, items (and their parts) such as paintings, drawings, vases, tapestries, limited-edition prints, fine art, statuary, sculpture and collector's items.

2. Film, photographic images (including photographic negatives), photographic chromes and photographic slides.

3. Any commodity that by its inherent nature is particularly susceptible to damage or the market value of which is particularly variable or difficult to ascertain.

4. Antiques, or any commodity that exhibits the style or fashion of a past era and whose history, age or rarity contributes to its value. These items include, but are not limited to, furniture, tableware and glassware.

5. Glassware, including, but not limited to, signs, mirrors, ceramics, porcelains, china, crystal, glass, framed glass, and any other commodity with similarly fragile qualities.

6. Plasma screens.

7. Jewelry, including, but not limited to, costume jewelry, watches and their parts, mount gems or stones (precious or semiprecious), industrial diamonds, and jewelry made of precious metal.

8. Furs, including, but not limited to, fur clothing, fur-trimmed clothing and fur pelts.

9. Precious metals, including, but not limited to, gold and silver bullion or dust, precipitates, or platinum (except as an integral part of electronic machinery).

10. Stocks, bonds, cash letters or cash equivalents, including, but not limited to, food stamps, postage stamps (not collectible), traveler's checks, lottery tickets, money orders, gift cards and gift certificates, prepaid calling cards (excluding those that require a code for activation), bond coupons, and bearer bonds.

11. Ostrich and emu eggs.

12. Collector's items such as sports cards, souvenirs and memorabilia. (Collector's coins and stamps may not be shipped. See the Prohibited Items section.)

13. Guitars and other musical instruments that are more than 20 years old, and customized or personalized musical instruments.

USPS certified insured is the safest way to ship. I have shipped many high priced items this way (none at $15k but over $6k). The people at the post office assured me that everyone who handles the package must sign for it and it is held in a safe. The postal service insurance is for real as well. I wouldn't worry about the foregin buyer. I once sold a $1,000 watch on ebay to a guy in Costa Rica. He sent me a fedex with 10 $100 bills sight unseen without asking a single question.

The worst case scenario is the guy in malaysia uses a stolen credit card for the purchase. as long as you get the funds transfered who cares?

Good luck with the sale, Dani! I can well understand you are cautious when people will buy an expensive watch and are not asking for references or details about the watch.

I advertised a Rolex 6694 on "Finn.no" ( Norwegian ad page) and got two replays from African residents wanting to buy.. No questions asked about the watch and they could even pay by PalPal.. But, I chose to sell it locally, for a lower price. I guess your EWA is not that easy to sell locally.

I have been on the other side of the fence when buying a 2006 Aerospace from Malaysia, paying out 1800 USD, but everything went well..

Strangely, I am more afraid of selling abroad than buying from abroad. :lol:

DANI, FEDEX HAS A LIMIT OF LIABILITY SET FOR JEWELERY AND WATCHES AT $500... Ask me how I know this!!!! COME ON, ask me!!!

In 2002 I had a Rolex 16613 with boxes and papers stolen while in the care and custody of Fedex. I had insured the package for over $6k. When the box was received at the delivery station, the zip strip had been ripped open and the box was empty. They spent 3 months trying to "locate" the missing watch and then sent me a check for $100 (at that time the limit of liability was only $100).

The person taking your money and taking custody of the package will allow you to insure it for whatever you want, but if its lost or damaged, they wont pay more than $500.

This is the fine print from the Rolex website. See #7

Shipments (packages or freight) containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of US$500:

1. Artwork, including any work created or developed by the application of skill, taste or creative talent for sale, display or collection. This includes, but is not limited to, items (and their parts) such as paintings, drawings, vases, tapestries, limited-edition prints, fine art, statuary, sculpture and collector's items.

2. Film, photographic images (including photographic negatives), photographic chromes and photographic slides.

3. Any commodity that by its inherent nature is particularly susceptible to damage or the market value of which is particularly variable or difficult to ascertain.

4. Antiques, or any commodity that exhibits the style or fashion of a past era and whose history, age or rarity contributes to its value. These items include, but are not limited to, furniture, tableware and glassware.

5. Glassware, including, but not limited to, signs, mirrors, ceramics, porcelains, china, crystal, glass, framed glass, and any other commodity with similarly fragile qualities.

6. Plasma screens.

7. Jewelry, including, but not limited to, costume jewelry, watches and their parts, mount gems or stones (precious or semiprecious), industrial diamonds, and jewelry made of precious metal.

8. Furs, including, but not limited to, fur clothing, fur-trimmed clothing and fur pelts.

9. Precious metals, including, but not limited to, gold and silver bullion or dust, precipitates, or platinum (except as an integral part of electronic machinery).

10. Stocks, bonds, cash letters or cash equivalents, including, but not limited to, food stamps, postage stamps (not collectible), traveler's checks, lottery tickets, money orders, gift cards and gift certificates, prepaid calling cards (excluding those that require a code for activation), bond coupons, and bearer bonds.

11. Ostrich and emu eggs.

12. Collector's items such as sports cards, souvenirs and memorabilia. (Collector's coins and stamps may not be shipped. See the Prohibited Items section.)

13. Guitars and other musical instruments that are more than 20 years old, and customized or personalized musical instruments.

Thanks bro for that info :good: , that sucked that you got 100$ they shoud have paid you what it was worth for sure, but as almost all groups in biz its mafia nothing more if they can hussel you for money or not pay you what is due they will..

I will not use fedex so thanks for the advice bro.

Cheers

USPS certified insured is the safest way to ship. I have shipped many high priced items this way (none at $15k but over $6k). The people at the post office assured me that everyone who handles the package must sign for it and it is held in a safe. The postal service insurance is for real as well. I wouldn't worry about the foregin buyer. I once sold a $1,000 watch on ebay to a guy in Costa Rica. He sent me a fedex with 10 $100 bills sight unseen without asking a single question.

The worst case scenario is the guy in malaysia uses a stolen credit card for the purchase. as long as you get the funds transfered who cares?

Tnx for advice.

Strangely, I am more afraid of selling abroad than buying from abroad. :lol:

I em the same way..I buy watches and almost no worry but now that i sell i have nerves like spaggeti :lol:

Cheers