When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Will Panerai Supplant Rolex as the new High School Graduation Gift

Watchmeister

Do people remember a time when well to do kids graduated high school and the parents bought the kid a Rolex. I took my kids to see Journey to the Center of the Earth. Without giving away the story when the family returns from the "journey" safe, sound and rich (of course) what do I see in the final scene? The 16 year old twerp running around wearing a Panerai, Could this be the start of a trend? :D

My brother just received a Ph.D. and I'll be giving him a franken Datejust.... all gen except for the 2892 under the hood. He knows what Panerai is, because he's seen them on my wrist, but thinks they're weird looking. ;) I think most non-watch people simply don't recognize many (or any?) high end names outside Rolex (considering Omega sort of a "mid" end).

Rolex actually seems kind of stody for a high schooler. It seems to me that any of a number of other brands, including Panerai, would have more cachet for a young person.

I got an Omega Geneve Dynamic for my high school graduation. Unfortunately the service costs and cost of custom straps became too much for me before I fully appreciated what a great watch it was, and I let it die from exposure to moisture about 15 years after graduation. Boy, do I wish I had that watch back.

On the plus side, my father had the same watch, though his was brushed SS while mine was brushed gold, and mine had a more unique dial. He recently gave his to me in part because he moved some years ago to a Date Just, plus he wasn't able to find the custom strap that this watch requires. Fortunately I was able to source a strap through Taikonaut, and I now have a watch that means almost as much to (because it was my father's) as the graduation watch.

Actually the make of watch that you receive for graduation shouldn't matter. It is, or should be, a symbol of transition from the world of kids to the world of adults. Granted, that transition can be rather blurry (I certainly didn't suddenly become mature the day I received that diploma). But it is a special occasion, and even cars, which are generally quite a bit more expensive than watches, are rather transitory. A watch, though, of any type, is a great graduation gift.

Do people remember a time when well to do kids graduated high school and the parents bought the kid a Rolex. I took my kids to see Journey to the Center of the Earth. Without giving away the story when the family returns from the "journey" safe, sound and rich (of course) what do I see in the final scene? The 16 year old twerp running around wearing a Panerai, Could this be the start of a trend? :D

Yep... I saw that too.. .I'm yelling 1/2 way down the isle telling my wife.. Look!! He's wearing a Panerai!

People behind me asks ... ?? what's a Panerai ?? lol... I was wearing my 195 and the woman said.. "damn" and then mumbled to her husband.. "your not wearing anything that big!" lol.. I guess she is used to him and small sizes ?? :victory:

I work in the entertainment biz, fashion and music, and Panerai is DEFINITELY a hot commodity. When I got my first, then 15+ panerai reps almost 3+ years ago, I wasn't familiar with the brand...I got introduced to it by a music industry producer. I thought it was nice, but basic...but like all of us know, once you start wearing a Panerai, it infects you and you become a huge fan... and maybe end up buying a couple gens like me.^_^

I get comments almost daily about my Pams from various people I work with, "nice pam"...but rarely ever get comments on my gen Rollies. I've seen many BAD rep PAMs on many people in the biz too that aren't even CLOSE to the caliber of our best reps, and most of the Pam comments come from guys. The girls will make comments about how nice and bold it looks, but it's the guys who always notice the Panerai as a Panerai.

I'm asian and there has always been a watch culture in my family, but for my older family members, there is only one watch...Rolex. They don't understand the love we have for Panerai. But with some of my nephews graduating next year, the aunts and uncle have talked about doing the "chip in" on a rolex, but I threw out maybe a PAM 111...but got out voted...

If I was 18 again or 22 again and about to graduate, I would definitely take the Panerai over the Rolex. :victory:

Hey guys! I was the 16 year old twerp running around wearing my PAM111H from Angus!!!

And there was actually a guy "yelling 1/2 way down the isle telling his wife.. Look!! He's wearing a Panerai!"

:D :D :D :D :D

PS OK, I maybe don't look like a 16 year old, but I certainly feel like one wearing my reps

Rolex for graduation? haha. where i come from Rolex is like a unicorn. People couldnt even afford a "snickers" bar for god's sake. rolex, lol.. I am afraid if certain people find out that you wear $1K on your wrist it will be gone along with your hand :o

Edited by mil_sub

Panerai..POLEX..Preiteling..PAG heuer..mmmmmmmmmm....watherever will get the graduate laid (more often) I say ;)

G. :bicycle: (Ppppppppppppppppppppp.....presents)

Maybe it's the more "understated" choice of the well healed - Rolex has the super-bling status symbol of the "new-rich" "gangster culture" and their wannabe's- it's the obvious choice for many who don't know their watches but know the symbols of looking flash when they come into quick money.

It never happened to me but have a friend who's dad bought 3 for his kids when they graduated and he did the right thing as far as investment is concerned - the watches are pristine - they don't wear them for the reasons above...

Cheers

FGD

Nothing at all ...says it's more of a fashion symbol to me ...and where would mens "style" be today if it wasn't for the pink influence over all these years...probably wearin dead animals still..

FGD

Whats wrong with dead animal skins? :bangin: were still whaling and slaying seals up here in Norway......(warning : tongue in cheek)

pet-moose.jpg

Ha ..to be fair - not sure what's worse - tracksuit and a fake Burberry cap - or a moose.

Probably trust the dude in the moose more..!

pet-moose.jpg