When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Whats your fave microbrew?

llsteve80

vlydogs wristshot got me thinking with the pic of the arrogant bastard bottle in his hand. I love sampling microbrews. A true microbrew is available for over the counter purchase in only a selected region. Elsewhere it must be ordered. Sometimes, it can't be ordered, you just have to GO there.

Personally, I like yuengling, which is available in and around Pennsylvania USA. Good stuff. Haven't been there for a while, so haven't enjoyed any. For all I know they jumped on the bandwagon and distribute it all over now, which would bum me out. I like when I go up there and get to treat myself.

#1 best is at a restaurant near my home that brews their own beer. It is an independent establishment, so the beers are unique. My favorite there is the Heifenweissen, a wheat beer that they somehow brew with the addition of cloves and banana peels. You catch a hint of clove right before the sip, smooth creamy texture with a flavor you only get with a wheat beer, and a hint of banana on the aftertase. MMMMMM! This is the only place I have seen that blend, but I'm sure there are variations around. Oh ya, and don't forget to drop in the lemon slice (not wedge)

Heres the place: http://www.pubcrawler.com/Template/ReviewW...BrewerID=102998

So what are you guys working with? I'd love to hear from some of the EU members on this one. Stuff that I'd need to fly to in order to sample.

If you haven't really sampled any microbrews, lets hear about your favorite exotic brew.

vlydogs wristshot got me thinking with the pic of the arrogant bastard bottle in his hand. I love sampling microbrews. A true microbrew is available for over the counter purchase in only a selected region. Elsewhere it must be ordered. Sometimes, it can't be ordered, you just have to GO there.

Personally, I like yuengling, which is available in and around Pennsylvania USA. Good stuff. Haven't been there for a while, so haven't enjoyed any. For all I know they jumped on the bandwagon and distribute it all over now, which would bum me out. I like when I go up there and get to treat myself.

#1 best is at a restaurant near my home that brews their own beer. It is an independent establishment, so the beers are unique. My favorite there is the Heifenweissen, a wheat beer that they somehow brew with the addition of cloves and banana peels. You catch a hint of clove right before the sip, smooth creamy texture with a flavor you only get with a wheat beer, and a hint of banana on the aftertase. MMMMMM! This is the only place I have seen that blend, but I'm sure there are variations around. Oh ya, and don't forget to drop in the lemon slice (not wedge)

Great post llsteve80,

Hefeweizen is a southern German style of wheat beer (weissbier) made with a typical ratio of 50:50, or even higher, wheat and malted barley. A yeast is used that produces a unique phenolic flavor of banana and cloves with an often dry and tart edge, some spiciness, bubblegum or notes of apples. The "Hefe" prefix means "with yeast", hence the beers unfiltered and cloudy appearance.

I have two favorites from the states and they are: Blue Star American Wheat Beer from North Coast Brewing Co. and Pyramid Hefe Weizen; both from Cali.

By the way, us Americans popularized the use of lemon in these beers.

brand-BlueStar-pour.jpg

hefeweizen.jpg

Great post llsteve80,

By the way, us Americans popularized the use of lemon in these beers.

Thanks. And I believe we also popularized drinking it ice cold. When I was in germany 13 years ago we were drinking beer at room temp. Can taste it better.

There are so many...Geez, I love beer especially when it is 100 degress plus outside, but my favs are...

1. Shootenzeelodin Pale Ale

2. Knockenzeehead Lager

3. Stainmeinehosen Dark

4. Banginzeefrau Ale

There are so many great beers and so little time to drink them all :drunk:

My #1 favorite beer is this:

wailua-wheat-ale.jpg

Wailua Wheat form the Kona Brewing Co.. It's brewed with passion fruit. But, by llsteves definition, it can no longer be considered since I can now buy it in Colorado. Up until about a year ago, it could only be had at the Kona brewery on the big island...

...So, to stay within the guidelines layed out llsteve on what a micro brew is, this would be my pick:

tommy-knocker-jack-whacker.jpg

Brewed at the Tommy Knocker brewery in the little mountain town of Idaho Springs, Colorado. They also have a nice seasonal chilli beer that goes great with a bowl of chilli (a winter favorite of mine.)

I haven't. Generally I'm not fond of malty beers. I've seen it, but haven't tried it. You?

Yes.

Hop Rod Rye is essentially a strong American IPA made with 20% rye malt.

Same brewing company - Bear Republic

hop_rod_thumb_new.gif

It looks like we have a few hop heads among us!

Missed vlydogs pic of my fav brew. Discovered it on the outskirts of a reservation in a hole in the wall on tap.

My date at the time assured me the next morning I was a Bastard.

I did live up to it`s name, and wear the badge proudly. :D

My pic last summer with my 2 friends 1 night.

picture086re3.jpg

Missed vlydogs pic of my fav brew. Discovered it on the outskirts of a reservation in a hole in the wall on tap.

My date at the time assured me the next morning I was a Bastard.

I did live up to it`s name, and wear the badge proudly. :D

My pic last summer with my 2 friends 1 night.

picture086re3.jpg

Can't believe you missed these:

replicawatches014.jpg

replicawatches015.jpg

replicawatches016.jpg

i'm a sierra nevada fan myself (good to see other folks are pale ale fans)

sierranevadabeer1ex5.jpg

deltatahoe

I went there for a brewery tour back in '05.

Three things grabbed my attention:

They generate 80% of their own electricity

They raise their own cattle which are nourished with spent brewing grains

They have a killer auditorium for concerts

and they make great beer. Try this one- beer.jpg

A great full-bodied lager.

Mmmmmm Arrogant Bastard Ale is some good stuff... Try the oaked version too!!! And Stone Brewing Ruination IPA is also very, very good.

For the Bay Area clan, I'm going to recommend we have a GTG at the Speakeasy brewery (here) because their Big Daddy IPA is great:

speakeasy-big-daddy.gif

Also for the hop heads out there, here's one you may not have tried...

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA - Easily the best East Coast IPA that is available here in California:

P9064.jpg

American Ale: Dales Pale Ale. An explosion of dry-hopped goodness. The best by-the-pool beer of all time. I used to pick this up when I traveled out west. Brilliant idea to sell it in a can, which eliminates the #1 problem of microbrews, half-assed bottling. I wish I could get it locally.

Dark Beer: Sierra Nevada Porter. Now a grocery store beer, but nobody has ever made a better American dark beer. I wish my ATF beer was something more obscure, but it isn't. SN porter is the best beer ever brewed.

Belgian style: Celis Grand Cru, now brewed by michigan brewing company, but just as good as the old Autstin, TX brewery. I think Duval is the actual Belgian version. Made w/ some wierd stuff like orange peels and spices, but it's really good.

English style ale: Not a big fan, but I had a great pint (or 8) @ a brew pub outside of Portland on vacation a few years ago. Can't remember the name of the place but the ESB was great, had this wierd and great hay flavor going on if you're inot beer that tastes like hay, as I apparently am. Would love to find it in bottles if it's available.

Fruit Beer: New Glarus Cherry Ale, the only fruit beer I really like, and it's in the top 2 or 3 beers of any kind I've ever had. The label says, "A little toasted malt and a 1.5 lbs. of of cherries per bottle makes it like a glass of chery pie." And it does.

Fruit Beer: New Glarus Cherry Ale, the only fruit beer I really like, and it's in the top 2 or 3 beers of any kind I've ever had. The label says, "A little toasted malt and a 1.5 lbs. of of cherries per bottle makes it like a glass of chery pie." And it does.

I don't tend to like fruit beers either, but must say that the Pyramid Apricot Ale is very tasty... Give it a try!!!

A local brewery (Tied House) here in the Bay occasionally has a raspberry wheat that is also pretty good, especially for a wheat. ;)

I have to say I agree. This is by far the best American attempt at a fruited Belgian Lambics. Too bad it has extremely limited distribution.

If you are ever near Cleveland Ohio, don't forget to try anything by Great Lakes Brewing Company.

My favorite is the Dortmunder Gold. DortmunderBottle.jpg

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA - Easily the best East Coast IPA that is available here in California:

P9064.jpg

You are right chieftang; easily one of the most talented brewers on the East Coast. I have met Sam Calagione, the owner and founder, on several occasions. He is a great guy. As a matter of fact, we organized a beer dinner together about 3 years ago.

Something really special and different is a beer Sam calls Midas Touch Golden Elixir. The recipe is brewed from the actual oldest-known fermented beverage in the world! It showcases the known ingredients of barley, white Muscat grapes, honey & saffron found in the drinking vessels in King Midas' tomb!

Power.jpg