When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Uneven crystal GMT II? Read This!

jake48

Well - I knew better...

Two of my friends had the new GMT II ceramic with the uneven crystal - low on the 9 O'clock side and so did I. They fixed theirs by pressing the crystal "as is" and were able to make it level. I told them (being the ever so cautious one) that the correct way to do it was to remove the crystal, check the gasket for slippage and then reassemble the crystal to press it on "correctly"

After reading a few more successful reports here on RWG of people pressing their crystals straight I decided to go against my own advice and press away...

This is the before:

cbzl.jpg

This is the after:

after.jpg

I set the press up to apply more pressure on the high side (3 O'clock side) and I am sure this is what caused it (uneven pressure on the crystal)

All I can say if you don't take the crystal out and repress it evenly is - DO YOU FEEL LUCKY?

And I knew it was bound to happen- God, I am a moron some time...

Ouch. :(

All is not lost though. You can purchase another aftermarket sapphire crystal & gasket for $40. There are probably others available, but you will have to do the searching. The 1 I listed should work though.

freddy - I am in for the Lani/Chief Ar cyclops and was wondering... Would the crystals Lani is taking the cyclops off of work as a possible replacement?

I am not familiar with the different sized crystals that are same for different Rolex models, but one thing that concerns me, other than the obvious crystal dimensions, is the bevel on the crystal. Is the datejust crystal that you listed the same as a GMT?

freddy - I am in for the Lani/Chief Ar cyclops and was wondering... Would the crystals Lani is taking the cyclops off of work as a possible replacement?

I am not familiar with the different sized crystals that are same for different Rolex models, but one thing that concerns me, other than the obvious crystal dimensions, is the bevel on the crystal. Is the datejust crystal that you listed the same as a GMT?

I cannot remember which crystal model Lani ordered (we were concerning with the cyclops only), so you might check with him. And, not to be negative, but Lani's source for the crystal is not a reliable seller (I am being kind).

The crystal I linked should fit most modern Rolex models, including the GMTII. But you might check with the seller to be sure. Otherwise, search ebay for another crystal. There are many of them on the bay.