When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who has ripped Bluray or HDdvd?

ajoesmith

Not really looking to know how to do it, i know but i dont have a blu ray player.

I have a fulll HD TV and coming is a HD media player and what id like is

SOME HD CONTENT TO PLAY ON THE TV! Just to test to see how good it is!

so has anyone ripped/converted blue ray movies or HD dvd movies?

Ive tried downloading them but there 8-10GB's! its taking a week to download them as Australian internet speeds are crap!

anyone?

I just download my HD content; I bought some front loading hard drive trays and a couple of 500gb SATAs; I DL the content on my desktop and swap the drives to my media center PC to play it. Some thoughts on this:

You need a pretty decent processor to handle 1080 playback; I would suggest a low end core 2 duo. Almost any fairly new video card should work just fine. Use VLC or MPC to handle playback as they are the most efficient.

Yes, the files are huge but I am usually getting several at once, after a while you will have more movies than you know what to do with anyway. There's always rapidshare and such if you are impatient.

With a PC BluRay player or player/recorder and using Slysoft's AnyDvd software and Nero, you could do it! Buy one of those Terabyte USB drives! If you wanna test HD on your new HD TV, I have an OPPO 980H that upconverts to 1080I/1080P and could read USB external drives that I'm thinking of selling since I got my PS3!

PM me AJ! Hike

• 1 month later...

For testing purposes, someone should just rip him a short action sequence from a movie to check the quality... that should do the trick and won't be 8-10 gb.

Guest carlsbadrolex

I just picked up an HP media center PC (one of the ultra-compact ones). It has a blue -ray player and tv tuner in it and I installed an additional 500gb hard drive. It cost me under $500 and it is hooked to my HP 24"lcd with HDMI input. Works beautifully as a small mini-home theater.

The quality is mindblowing, I am also powering a 1080p signal to my fullHD tv. once you get the taste for BD you will never go back. except if you download all your DVD rips.. hehe

I watched a few Blu Ray movies on my brother in law's 1080 Bravia. Damn ... I need one.

I watched a few Blu Ray movies on my brother in law's 1080 Bravia. Damn ... I need one.

for me it was a very close call between Bravia and Samsung, ended up pulling the trigger on the samsung.. it was the glossy finish that sold it to me. I heard a lot of good things about bravia so you cant really go wrong there. If you have a bit more extra cash, I would recomend KURO. highly rated and claimed to be THE best fullHD tv around. I think its plasma...

All in all, there are many options to upsample the standard DVD too. buy a standalone upscaling player or do it the easy way on the pc. TBH its close, but no cigar...

If you are looking to rip BD/HD-DVD to your pc, I would suggest you make an ISO of the disc, if you have enough storage that is. On average, my BD rips cost me around 40-50GB each. Personally I dont bother with convering/ripping to MKV. too time consuming and lossy. the whole purpose of BD is the hi-def. So again, many many different options there...

I got mine usually from newsgroup ;) It's a paid subscription monthly but you get the latest, the best. 1080p files are big (usually 8Gb and up like Ajoesmith stated) and you need a decent computer to run it.

Furthermore, if sound is also a concern, don't go HTPC path as there is still limited capability on outputting the DTS HD or Dolby Digital HD (you got only PCM or normal DTS/DD).

My recommendation, get those HD DVD on sale or go the PS3 route (however, there are many tests/reviews done, the Bluray playback on PS3 is mediocre...).

For sample of 1080p clips, I can't help but to suggest www.apple.com/trailers

Play it back using Quicktime or you can use K Lite Mega Codec Pack too (for PC XP/Vista... for apple just run it using your in built quicktime).

Choose those HD (usually about 100Mb files for 2-3 minutes trailer). Good luck.