When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Detecting a fake

involt

I'm into the rep world for few months, and this is my second post (I've only reported a scam site)

First of all, heartfelt thanks to all members for sharing their knowledge.

I noticed that some people, that intend to buy a second-hand genuine Rolex, can often meet some difficulty in identifying a probable rep passed off as a gen (e.g. http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=77988); some others claim that an AD might not be able to distinguish a good rep from a gen.

I own a gen YM Rolesium, a gen Breitling Chronomat (which means Valjoux 7750), a SeaDweller rep (ETA 2824-2), and a couple of cheap Submariners (maybe Miyota). My brother owns a gen Submariner and a rep Explorer II (ETA 2836-2).

When you set the time, in order to put the clock forward, you have to turn counterclockwise the crown of all watches, but the gens. In order to put the clock forward on a 3135-based watch, you have to turn the crown clockwise.

So, I guess that the detection of a fake shouldn't be so tricky (for the 3135 watches at least), but it seems to me that this matter hasn't been duly emphasized. Am I right, or I missed something? What is your opinion?

"When you set the time, in order to put the clock forward, you have to turn counterclockwise the crown of all watches, but the gens. In order to put the clock forward on a 3135-based watch, you have to turn the crown clockwise."

This has been posted before but that you for bringing it to our attention again.

So, I guess that the detection of a fake shouldn't be so tricky (for the 3135 watches at least), but it seems to me that this matter hasn't been duly emphasized. Am I right, or I missed something? What is your opinion?

In person, fakes are relatively easy to spot. That's usually not a problem. There's not a single off-the-shelf Rolex rep with the right lume, for instance.

Where it gets difficult is when you're buying on the internet.

Another fairly reliable tell-tale sign of a fake is to gently shake the watch & listen for the sound of the rotor spinning. Rolex rotors, especially when new, emit little or no sound even with your ear next to the case. A spinning rotor in an ETA & most Asian-made movements used in Rolex reps can usually be heard an arm's length (or more) away. And many non-Rolex rotors will continue to spin (& make noise) for many cycles even after the case has become stationary (a frequent complaint from their owners).

You can also just take the watch to your local AD & compare the fit & finish of your watch to a new gen taken from their showroom case. This is a test that no rep in my experience has ever passed.

Reps are fairly easy to detect.

Now Frankens are another story, especially if all the parts are genuine. Pretty much the only way to tell is to open the caseback.

If a Franken is built with an ETA 2892-A2 movement, the manual wind is similar to Rolex and is very, very smooth and effortless, and no "whir" as in other ETA movement. There is also very little rotor noise unless you give it hard shake.