When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Checking on my SoCal brothers...

Guest carlsbadrolex

Glad all are OK.

You know, and I don't wish this on you guys for a minute, one day half of So-Cal is going to dissapear into the Pacific ocean. Either that or an offshore quake is gunna throw a wall of water at you. pity realy I kinda like So-Cal.

Col.

Well, I've solved that problem. I bought future beach front property in Arizona

Glad to hear everyone is alright. For about the last two months I have had the USGS website saved on my desktop. I check out the US earthquake map daily... There has been a HUGE increase in activity over the last three weeks.

I have been telling the guys I work with that the big one is on its way, they all freaked out today.

I still say THE BIG ONE is going to happen before the end of the year. Im saying 8.0+.

T

boy i hope you're wrong T :mellow::2:

do us a favor and post here about a future steady increase in activity, will ya??!!? never hurts to be prepared ;)

speaking of being prepared, any good ideas (aside from buying one of these kits)?

deltatahoe

Well, I've solved that problem. I bought future beach front property in Arizona

Heh. In all seriousness, though, having lived in California my entire life, through Loma Prieta in '89 only a few short miles from the epicenter, I'd still gladly take earthquakes over tornadoes and hurricanes any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Yes, seismologists have no clue when the next big one is coming, whereas tornadoes and hurricames come with fair warning.... but when they come, they COME!! The Loma Prieta quake in '89 was one of the most severe ever in California and it killed 62 people, most in a freeway collapse. By contrast, Hurricane Katrina claimed 1800+ lives in '05.

Heh. In all seriousness, though, having lived in California my entire life, through Loma Prieta in '89 only a few short miles from the epicenter, I'd still gladly take earthquakes over tornadoes and hurricanes any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Yes, seismologists have no clue when the next big one is coming, whereas tornadoes and hurricames come with fair warning.... but when they come, they COME!! The Loma Prieta quake in '89 was one of the most severe ever in California and it killed 62 people, most in a freeway collapse. By contrast, Hurricane Katrina claimed 1800+ lives in '05.

I agree. At least, after an earthquake, it's still a nice day!

I was sitting in a KFC in Anaheim near my workplace and the building started to shake, rattle & roll. You could tell the first-timers, they held out their arms and turned in circles while looking up for some reason, and then dashed outside with most of the workers while I sat calmly finishing my chicken strips believing the worst was over after only a few seconds.

I'm a native Californian living here most of my 67+ years, all except for 21 years served in the Navy.

My home in Westminster suffered only a couple of unimportant items falling off shelves and getting broken. But, one of the engineers at work lives in Diamond Bar and he got a call from his daughter telling him the inside of their house was a disaster, so he took off to check it out.

you know.... having grown up in South Carolina and Florida.... and having gone through tornadoes and hurricanes, I agree with Bulldog... when an earthquake hits, you have no warning and you just react....

In a hurricane, you sit around for hours in a boarded up house and you wait... and then you deal with what happens...

Quake hit at 11:42... went to a business lunch at 12:20.... no damage, so no big whoop....

you know.... having grown up in South Carolina and Florida.... and having gone through tornadoes and hurricanes, I agree with Bulldog... when an earthquake hits, you have no warning and you just react....

In a hurricane, you sit around for hours in a boarded up house and you wait... and then you deal with what happens...

Quake hit at 11:42... went to a business lunch at 12:20.... no damage, so no big whoop....

Having been through a couple of Hurricanes, I'd have to say I don't wish that on anyone. It's like sitting in your cell waiting for the executioner ..... :mellow:

Actualy the day after a hurricane (or cyclone if you live down here) is usualy a beautyfull day. I also don't like cyclones, spent weeks helping clean up after Larry here last year(I'm in the fire brigade). He was about Katrina strength and flatened a cpl of medium sized towns and many thousand acres of rainforest. The destruction was awe inspireing and chilling at the same time. Got a pic here of a 2x4 driven thru a palm tree. I allways thought that was BS untill I saw it with my own eyes.

Regards,

Col.