When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The weak link in the CHS GMT IIc?

Guest carlsbadrolex

Guest carlsbadrolex

So after taking a fellow members GMT IIc to my watch maker the other day I get a call letting me know that there is a problem. I take a break and get over to the shop to find him cursing and telling me that the Chinese should leave well enough alone.

Considering the watch went in for a bracelet polish, resetting of the crystal and alignment of the date wheel Im a little confused.

Then he shows me what "used to be" the HOUR gear. It is actually two gears pressed and soldered together with a click mechanism between them. When removing the gear, it came apart and after what he claims was several hours of trying to get them back together and working he has given up. He was able to get it to hold together but as soon as it was re-assembled, the gear would come apart and slip. He states that this is one of the "custom" CHS parts and that none of the parts catalogs he has lists this part listed for fitment on a 2836-2 and although he has seen similar gears before he has never seen one identical to this one (and he has been doing this for over 25 years).

SO, my question to the peanut gallery is... does anyone have a source for a new CHS movement without paying $350+ for an entire watch?

I will attach a pic so that we all know what NOT to do.

Now, also know that this watch was running at +5 seconds per day prior to it being opened, BUT I had not paid attention to the GMT gear to see if it was "In SYNC".

Anyway, heres the pic.

dscn1124ti7.jpg

dscn1124ti7.71a201a94f.jpg

Guest carlsbadrolex

Anybody??? If I cant find this part, I need to buy someone a new watch (which may / may not even be available...)

I am really trying to find someone who can point me in the right direction here...

ANYONE???

Hey Dude! I'm so sorry to hear about this......I gues you have to give up your's now!!!! :D:D

I'm just being a wiseass! But, seriuosly......that is some serious Chinese mis-re-engineering! News and stories like these makes me feel so lucky to return mine!

Good luck with the search, Hike

@CarlsbadRolex: I have another 100% dead CHS movement on my desk here. There are no spare parts available, my watch is a trashable because this same gear has been worn out, and the hour hand isn't moving.

Guess what I did... I bought a gen. I've had enough of this POS chs movement... they're utter junk.

I suggest you try to source a good old wrong hand stack ETA 2836-2 and install it there.

Hey Dude! I'm so sorry to hear about this......I gues you have to give up your's now!!!!

He already offered up his personal watch!!!

Bulldog, Great minds think alike but the 2893-2 is impossible to find w/o buying a 500 gen and pulling one out of there.

JJ

Guest carlsbadrolex

JJFesq is being a gentleman about this... Although I did mention that my watch could be used for parts, it is having the same issue. Well anyway my watchmaker says its the same issue. The GMT hand either gains of drops as much as 2 hours per 24hrs. and the hour hand no longer "jumps" when adjusting to match the out of sync GMT hand. I gave up on it and havent worn it in several days.

As much as I truly love my CHS GMT IIc, I am just distraught over this entire situation. I plead with people to give it a chance, and am most likely guilty of talking people in to buying one. I will find an ICHS movement somewhere to throw in it... But it will most likely never be worn again

And as luck would have it, I sold the three 2893-2's that I bought a few weeks ago two days before mine started acting up...

Will this omega work?

what does the seller mean when he said No hour wheel?

I don't know if it'll work... Look at an SMP GMT pic and see if the hand stacking matches. It so, it *should* just be a matter of installing the correct hour wheel, canon pinion, etc. It already doesn't include the hour wheel, so you'd have to buy one from Jules Borel anyhow. Generally, from what I have heard, 2836 -> 2892 from a stem alignment perspective works very well using the existing spacer ring... so I think it's a matter of hands and dial clearances from the wheels. That's just a guess, though.

Did I miss the pics?!?

Soon. :)

The 2893 has wrong hand stack for the Rolex GMT. However, it's possible to install there if you accept that the red 24h hand will be your 12h hand.

My watch repair guy gave me this option but I didn't want to do it. It's way too weird that way.

Incorrect hand stack is the best option. Sad but true.

I take a break and get over to the shop to find him cursing and telling me that the Chinese should leave well enough alone.

Sounds to me like the Chinese aren't the only ones who should leave well enough alone. Maybe your watchmaker should absorb the cost of getting the watch back to working order?