When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New 16610 Sub...

ubiquitous

Nice very nice UBI,

enjoyed reading it...learned alot... just one question...

how did you get the links apart like on the SEL and put them back together without them sitting loose. I tried getting the links apart one time, and then I wanted to put them back together but once off, they are not tightly secured...

ET- Thanks for the kind words! as of current, the watch is apart as I just installed my newly acquired gen 295C crystal; unfortunately, I need a different gasket as the gen retaining ring isn't fitting correctly; also, my baby girl got ahold of my insert and managed to twist it up into something that might better resemble modern art :vava:

As for the links- I typically use a press to squeeze them back together. It all goes together quite easily with just a slight squeeze :)

Rek- Thank you, thank you!

It's interesting... The SS Sub isn't the highest on my preference list either, but I felt compelled to build one after many prior attempts with different versions of this model. I think every great collection needs at least one...

Cheers!

R

What can I say Ubi,

fantastic watch.

I climbed in too late.

But I saw its a WM9.

I build a similar for W.Genzo and Stephane in the past.

The idea for the SEL are damn good because the WM9

ones are really good in my opinion.

Fantasic work as allways.

Hello there,

A masterpiece. By the way, would you like to sell these left over bezel rings?

Not sure if they'll be up for sale or not just yet; I was planning on holding onto all the left over parts to keep with the watch; if I ever decided to sell, I'd sell as the entire, complete and all original parts inclusive package.

Who knows...

Great watch and wonderful project.

Thanks for the detailed pics as well, especially of the end links, I have never seen that style before.

Glad to see that even with the limited time you do have, your still doing some great projects.

Well done.

RG

Beautiful job Ubi. The WM9 is definitely the way to go. You've created a beautiful modern franken :)

Thanks Rob and JoJo. Much appreciated and thanks for the kind words.

R- I hope that eye is getting better!

End-links are gen like, I know some watchmaker have a proper tool for removing them, what did you use?

Yes, please tell us how you opened the end link? Thanks!

To split the links, you need a very sharp, very thin and very rigid blade to fit between the 'seams'. A razorblade is definitely not the right item to use as it's not strong enough to wedge in and spread the links apart you risk having bits of the blade snapping off, or flying into the air. But the blade has to be sharp or thin enough to penetrate the almost non-existant gap.