When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Ultimate rep

doc savage

I've been looking for my next project car, and I always wanted a prewar racer. I know it's going to be a bit of a pain sourcing the wheels, suspension, chassis, Lockheed brakes, 600 HP engine... well pretty much everything, but what a ride! At least no one will park next to me at the market with the same car; I really hate that.

1937 Mercedes W125 replica body on Ebay

The rep:

142e_1.jpg

The gen:

486518.jpg

Gorgeous.... :)

I really hope you get it for a nice price. It will be an interesting project to watch. The genuine would surely have been one of the most expensive cars in the world, it it ever were for sale.. Together with the "Ulenhaut-racers".

There are some really nice replica sportscars.. I have been playing with the idea of getting a (Jaguar) SS100 replica. ( www.ss100.com) or a Porsche 550 Spyder replica.. But this Mercedes beats them hands down. :)

I was obsessed with the 718 Spyder replicas for a while, and I'll probably get another Speedster in the future. This Benz is going to be an insanely tough project and I doubt I have the time for it--plus the bodywork is not all that close to the gen.

There are precious few options for the type of car I'm looking for; I've looked into the Sherpley Speed Six (no longer in production), a rep of a Blower Bentley:

1172358286-sherpley.jpg

And the Pembleton Brooklands which is not really a rep of anything:

1155370689-pembletom-brooklands-front.jpg

There are a few more possibilities but I don't have the links handy.

I have never seen the Sherpley Speed Six before. Nice car, but like almost all replicas of a 30ties car it has way too small wheels. That spoils it for me.. Like those awful Excaliburs and Pumas.

The Suffolk Sportscars SS100 replica is the only 30ties replica I know about who has about correct sized wheels. :)

ss100.jpeg

The Pembleton Brooklands looks like a fun car! It reminds me of the Citroen 2CV based "Lomax" or an old Morgan. :lol:

lomax-223.jpg

Living in California must a be heaven for a car nut. It is not that easy in Norway.. Kit cars are hard to get approved, and the weather is not to nice for cabriolets.. I am still happy with my old '91 Miata, though. But there are usually at least one more on the parking lot outside the market. :)

The more common Pembleton is a three-wheeler like that Citroen, not my thing though. Between the two I posted the Brooklands is more in line with what I want (small 2 seater racer), but how fun would it be to bomb around in that giant Bentley? I'm sure you could find bigger wheels for it somewhere or have them made.

Ive been looking for a corvette based ferrari daytona rep for years, but i cant seem to find any really good ones. They used to be on ebay all the time, but not anymore. It sure is a beautiful car though.

the last thing i care about is what other people think about my car. lol.

i've seen one the other day, the owner is a cool guy in his 50's , the car is sick ... engine sound is like music to my ears :D :D

Cobra's are fun to drive but they get "called out" more than all the other replicas combined. Kirkham makes a decent aluminum-snake though, or copper if you really want to get crazy: