When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Trip to NYC/Chinatown

Deltick

Took a quick trip up to New York City yesterday.

Of course I headed straight to Chinatown to check out the watch scene.

I love that place! I make a trip up there once or twice a year and have done

so for the last 4 or 5 year.

The interesting thing for me was that this was the first time I have seen what

I would call "top-shelf" watches for sale on Canal St. Of course there was the

typical Chinatown cheap stuff, but there also seemed to be a number of better

quality stuff. Lots of B&Rs, APs, a few PAMs. Nothing Swiss-quality, but definitely higher-quality Asian stuff.

I took a picture of one of the stalls with a very serious-looking seller. If you look closely, you can see

a row of B&Rs across the top.

I managed to get out of town with only two. An RJ for myself and a nice gold Cartier for the Mrs.

I was tempting to go wild, but something about handing over cash makes one think twice.

Anyway, highly recommended for some fun. Not recommended if you are looking for watch perfection.

post-6072-1218494605_thumb.jpg post-6072-1218494617_thumb.jpg

cool. i live here but i rarely buy anything down there

anymore. i've gotten hooked on the expensive stuff on the internet.

you can get a fairly decent rep for about $50. not anything with

an'eta' mov't or real working chrono. I've gotten some subs or dj's

for that price. the trouble is - you can get a noob for about $80 and shipping.

i think they're better than what they sell on canal street.

Anyone know if there's any stores in San Francisco's Chinatown that sell this kind of stuff? I'd love to check it out for the fun of it...

I think there are not in SF. I was looking there a few years ago all over chinatown and found nothing. No reps at all, so I think you can go there for the fun but forget about reps.

Someone actually bought the Titanic DNA!

and the $1,000,000 question.... WHY?

---

I definitely have to visit NYC Chinatown... looks like a great place to get some fun knock off fashion accessories.

well - to be fair, were more likley to get the blood, sweat, and chopped up remains in one of our chinese watches than he was getting a piece of the titanic in that rep :)

but- i can see if it was like 40 bucks or something, thats why i'm curious

The best stuff in Chinatown is never on the street, you have to make friends with the owner, show him a quality rep or two and if he doesn't think you're with customs he'll show you some of the better stuff in the back.

Still, I think you can get better over the net. The high rents in NYC, even in Chinatown, make good deals a thing of the past -

The best stuff in Chinatown is never on the street, you have to make friends with the owner, show him a quality rep or two and if he doesn't think you're with customs he'll show you some of the better stuff in the back.

Still, I think you can get better over the net. The high rents in NYC, even in Chinatown, make good deals a thing of the past -

I used to live in NY.. The stuff on display is mostly for tourist-- Junk..

However, if you ask them "Where's the good stuff" they'll go in the back and show the the good reps.

They used to sell Rollies with real eta movements.. But they usually don't have them out for viewing.

watches maybe

Handbags? china town still rocks

you have to get back behind the hidden door in the wall but you can get great stuff for like 30-60 bucks

for even large bags

online same crap is like 100 - shipping is a [censored] - but, MAN!

• 2 weeks later...