When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex papers? how to tell if its fake?

llsteve80

Someone posted something that got me thinking.

What is the difference between the gen papers and the ones that we can get from the dealers?

I know gen is supposed to have a watermark, thats easy. Microprinting? Can't be hard. So why do the rep papers supposedly look like crap? I thought that would be the 1 thing they could nail on the 1st try.

I see papers on ebay, but never knew enough to bid on them. Some have the picture of a hang tag on the lower corner, I always thought that was wrong, but I guess thats on the real ones.

So how do you know/tell?

The real ones will have a stamp of the place of origin (ie the AD) the fakes won't

Does that really "seal the deal" so to speak? I've seen vintage unmarked papers go for thousands, and then I've seen some with stamps that looked dodgy (at least the seller did)

Don't even know what I'd do with papers/box/pamphlets anyway but it's nice to know.

Well, open gen papers don't have a stamp either sometimes. :)

Fake papers are easy! They are just crap, printed badly, no watermarks, no proerply punched model numbers, no country of delivery codes, no US/EU determination code, wrong paper, wrong print technique - ever handled a gen paper and you know it... easily.

All the fake papers I've seen so far, are "old style" certificates, with old addresses reported on the back side. I think they are incorrect for watches purchased after early '90s. I can post a comparative picture, if you like.

Since 2007, the warranty papers are in credit card style